Rounder tone?

Discussion in 'Sidewinders Bar & Grille' started by Wound_Up, Jun 6, 2021.

1. pkailas

pkailas Strat-Talk Member

Like Huey Lewis once sang: "It's hip to be square."

2. Nate D

Nate D Most Honored Senior Member

Sooooo you’re saying it’s pretty good?

duzie and Ebidis like this.
  3. LilybugPapa

LilybugPapa Strat-Talk Member

“Rounder” to my understanding means even tonally throughout the response range... ie: not dark, not pokey bright, and not overly mid pushed....

4. Waldiabc

Waldiabc Strat-Talk Member

Rounder amp may means lower value filter capacitors or/and tube rectifier. Rounder sounding guitar may be twang that's too gentle to call it twang. I'm guessing.

5. StratQuaken

StratQuaken New Member!

Here is something to think about when setting an amp. When I was researching studio monitors, I found out that monitors deliver a neutral sound. Stereo systems and speakers for them are designed to deliver sound that the lows and high are elevated slightly compared to the midrange because that configuration sounds more pleasant to the human ear. So I personally run my mids 1 number lower than the highs and lows (7-6-7,5-4-5,8-7-8, etc.). I use the 7-6-7 combo on guitar and bass guitar amps. This is an all around good starting point. Specific song and playing styles may not always adhere to this notion, but the human ear likes what it likes for music pleasure. Sometimes music calls for combos that are meant to be a little unpleasant to achieve the desired effect for the style or song.

6. Esg877

Esg877 Strat-Talker

It means a tone that's been around, if you know what I mean. :whistling:

Ebidis likes this.
  7. johnted

johnted Strat-Talk Member

8. johnted

johnted Strat-Talk Member

It's one of those words that musicians use to describe something that doesn't have a description... as a bassist I had the most creative talks with my drummer trying to describe what we wanted our work to sound like. Like when a singer tells the soundman that his mix sounds too "boxy".

9. Doc538

Doc538 Strat-Talker

In the old days guitars and amps sounded good bad, ok. Now there are hundreds of descriptive words about the sound being battered around by wordies. If you want the true meaning take a look at Kim Kardashians butt it is both fuller and rounder than most others and I can just imagine the sound coming out the gas hole, it will be very rounded. Delete me if I crossed aline or two.