S type with a smaller body.

Discussion in 'Non-Fender S-Type Guitar Forum' started by Silverman, Sep 4, 2021.

1. Ruscio

Ruscio Senior Stratmaster Gold Supporting Member Silver Member

Yes, all of this. A couple of Ibanez that I've tried and liked in part because they're a bit smaller are the S body shape (they're much thinner but don't look smaller from the front) and the old Radius body shape that I think only lives on in the Joe Satriani signature series.

Ebidis likes this.
  2. 3bolt79

3bolt79 Dr. Stratster

Check out a Fender HM Strat from the 80’s or a new one of the reissues while you can still find them.25.1 inch scale, and a body much closer to the Dinky.

CB91710 and Ebidis like this.
  3. rockon1

rockon1 Senior Stratmaster Silver Member

You can bolt any strat neck on a mini. I put a 3/4 on mine . Funny thing is you cant tell at a glance.

CB91710 likes this.
  4. Baelzebub

Baelzebub Dr. Stratster

think they just feel smaller, but the looking at the rack the lower horn is about and inch lower than the G&L and the Fender on either side of it.

Chimey likes this.
  5. jvin248

jvin248 Senior Stratmaster

+1 Jackson Dinky

Squier Mustang HH
    Fender Duosonic and Mustang

You can install single coils in them

If you are more daring ... find one of these via ebay, craigslist, or a pawn shop:

6. John C

John C Most Honored Senior Member Silver Member

Actually the Cutlass is pretty much the same size as a Strat; it feels a bit different because the back half is somewhat shaped like an offset guitar even though it has a straight waist. That being said the Silhouette Special is definitely a downsized guitar - I owned 3 of them during the time frame I was deep into EBMMs (2004-2011). The 2021 version is way pricey ($2,799) and only in one kind of odd color and HSS configuration, but you should be able to find them much more reasonably priced on the used market as well as finding them in the SSS configuration that was dropped when the Cutlass was released.

Now I did go through a "loop" with them - get one, eventually decide it wasn't filling the "Strat" spot the way I wanted so I would sell it; then miss the neck and get another one, sold it, missed it and finally got a 3rd one that I sold when I swore off 25.5" scale guitars the first time. At any rate here are Silo Specials #2 and #3 (no photos of #1, but it was a fairly boring 3-color burst with a tortoise shell pickguard/backplate):

2007 Limited Edition Blue Dawn (even came in a 2-tone blue G&G tolex case instead of the normal EBMM molded case) kept from 2007-2009:

[​IMG]

2010 Olive Gold with a gold swirl pickguard (ordered on the last day that color and pickguard were available from EBMM in the fall of 2009; she was delivered in early 2010); kept from 2010 through 2011:

[​IMG]

Boyd L likes this.
  7. train

train Worlds largest private army Silver Member

5BC2D296-5AD1-488E-ADB7-E98330D38A30.jpeg prs se eg small body 25 scale weight about 6 lbs.

dbb541 and Boyd L like this.
  8. LordOfPudding

LordOfPudding Strat-Talker

I resto-modded a 1980's Japanese Bullet Strat for my nephew's kids...it was smaller than a standard Strat. Maybe see if you can find one of those?

Boyd L likes this.
  9. Chipss36

Chipss36 Strat-O-Master

The 540R became the js, but the r actually has a smaller waist, and IMO a much better neck.

I had a few JS guitars, until I played a 540r, I own two 540R’s. And No JS’s

they were my main guitars for about 10 years or so.

my favorite smaller strat “ish” style guitar.

Attached Files:

Ruscio and CB91710 like this.
  10. Wound_Up

Wound_Up CUSTOM USER TITLE Silver Member

Ibanez just released some smaller bodied s-style guitars, I believe. Ryan @ 60 Cycle Hum, was demo'ing one at "42 Gear St" the other day.

11. Wound_Up

Wound_Up CUSTOM USER TITLE Silver Member

Arent the Lead Series also smaller than standard?

Packrat likes this.
  12. Stonetone

Stonetone Most Honored Senior Member

Charvel Pro Mod DK 22 which is a 22 Fret

DK 22.jpg

TIMB, Dirtsquirrel and Chimey like this.
  13. John C

Yes, the Leads are smaller bodied, but also a different shape with almost equal sized horns. Leads feel somewhat in-between a Tele and a Strat, but perhaps closer to a Tele (a double-cut slightly contoured Tele) - I had an original Lead II from 1979 (got it new on Black Friday that year) until 2015. A photo of my old one:

[​IMG]

CB91710 likes this.
  14. ukoldgit

ukoldgit Most Honored Senior Member

Buy any strat type guitar that takes your fancy then buy one of these, simples:rolleyes:
    [​IMG]

TIMB likes this.
  15. the J to the B

the J to the B New Member!

'86 Ibanez Roadstar II body if you can dig the "nubs" on the horns (maybe with a Fender strat neck if you prefer the traditional headstock)?

[​IMG]

a few earlier higher end Roadstar II model had them, but the '86 was the only "standard" body with contours. i don't like any of the other suggestions myself, so i thought i'd mention it.

16. Slacker G

Slacker G Strat-O-Master

Watch out for those Hanna Montana guitars. The necks will twerk on you after a while.

gdsmithtx and CB91710 like this.
  17. Ruscio

Ruscio Senior Stratmaster Gold Supporting Member Silver Member

The neck is my least favorite part of a JS guitar, too. That's why I recently sold one, and the one I've kept I have a Warmoth neck on instead. How is the 540R neck different? That sounds really promising.

18. Zado

Zado New Member!

Grosh

19. John C

I forgot about them and I actually had one for a while - I had some guitars I was playing and others I was kind of collecting back in the 2000s - I had the Grosh but was mainly playing a Fender AVRI '62 Strat and G&L ASAT Special Deluxe (a rear-routed, figured top version of the ASAT Special) leaving the Grosh in the case. I remember the Grosh body as being full-length from the tip of the upper horn to the strap button on the heel of the body but it was downsized a bit when measured across the body at the widest point as opposed to being a fully down-sized body.

I came to find that this was perhaps the prettiest guitar I ever owned and also the most bland guitar I ever owned. I sold it over on the Gear Page after owning it about a year; I know it sold 3 other times on TGP in the span of 2 years before I lost track of it - it was easy to track because it actually left Don's shop with a red shell pickguard and black covers for the single coils; before I bought it from a Grosh dealer in NYC they had switched it to the white pearl pickguard and white covers to help it sell; the guy who bought it from me got the original plastic from the NYC shop and changed it back:

[​IMG]

Ruscio likes this.
  20. Zado

Zado New Member!

Really? Never played a bad Grosh!