S1 Switch vs Push-Pull ?

seankim228

Strat-Talk Member
Dec 19, 2010
Toronto
Hi,

I currently have the Koa stratocaster and wanted to change out the pots as I realized they are 500k stock..I thought if I'm gonna change the pots, I might as well as play around with the wiring as I've always wanted to produce some warm jazz tones that you could get from a neck humbucker.

If I want the jazz tones, or crunchy humbucker sound, or more tonal variation in general, which set up am I better off going with ?

My guitar currently has the stock SD Alnico 2 Pro Staggered and I want to keep the guitar looking stock (i.e., no drilling or extra switches). I know there is a K9 harness with kinman, but it's too expensive and I'd like to retain my original pups while enabling them to be used in series or whatnot (which ever that gives me that jazz tone lol)

Also, anyone got leads to where I could purchase a "kit" or parts for the recommended set up? And does anyone know if the bridge on the koa strat (which is 2point synchro) can be swapped for a vintage fender bridge ? (just like the visual better)

Thank you in advance,

Sean

Steve St.Lauren

Strat-Talker
Aug 20, 2010
Mid Michigan
I've been working with TFN Technologies - TFN Technoloiges Custom Strat wiring harnesses . He did the custom S1 switching on my Warmoth that has a bunch of other stuff on it as well. He can do pretty much anything you want and his harnesses are very tidy and he uses first grade stuff. I have an S1 and a push pull pot on that guitar btw and the S1 is definitely easier to use. The push pull I have to kind of hook my fingernail under the knob to pull it up.

stratphobic

-----------------------
Jan 14, 2011
Fort Smith, Arkansas
Hi,

I currently have the Koa stratocaster and wanted to change out the pots as I realized they are 500k stock..I thought if I'm gonna change the pots, I might as well as play around with the wiring as I've always wanted to produce some warm jazz tones that you could get from a neck humbucker.

If I want the jazz tones, or crunchy humbucker sound, or more tonal variation in general, which set up am I better off going with ?

My guitar currently has the stock SD Alnico 2 Pro Staggered and I want to keep the guitar looking stock (i.e., no drilling or extra switches). I know there is a K9 harness with kinman, but it's too expensive and I'd like to retain my original pups while enabling them to be used in series or whatnot (which ever that gives me that jazz tone lol)

Also, anyone got leads to where I could purchase a "kit" or parts for the recommended set up? And does anyone know if the bridge on the koa strat (which is 2point synchro) can be swapped for a vintage fender bridge ? (just like the visual better)

Thank you in advance,

Sean

there's a guy on here, i think his name is phostenix. he has some good diagrams that use the s-1 switch

AntEL

Strat-Talker
May 13, 2011
Chicago
I don't know the difference. I thought S1 was a generic term for being able to turn on/off the neck p'up independent of the blade switch.

I have a push/pull on my tone pot that turns on the neck p'up when it's pulled, and honestly, I leave it on most of the time. It produces a fantastic tone. Creamy, yet cutting. Also, the output is higher, which in turn drives my preamp tubes harder giving me some nice tube overdrive tones at lower volumes.

It works for me...

Phostenix

Strat-Talker
Jul 30, 2010
Anthem, AZ
I've become a huge fan of the S-1. I've tried push-pull & push-push pots and I find them a little clunky to switch while playing. I think a small toggle is easier to deal with while playing if you just want a simple coil split & don't mind the look of the added switch.

The S-1 is intimidating if you haven't done a lot of wiring, but it offers some great options. I've wired my Strat for normal Strat switching with the S-1 button up & 5 different choices with the S-1 button down - all 3 series combinations plus the Tele middle plus one more that I'm not crazy about and am going to change. :)