Warmoth.com darrenriley.com Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups

Warmoth.com darrenriley.com Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups Guitar Pickups

Warmoth.com darrenriley.com Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups Guitar Pickups

Join Strat-Talk Today

Saddles for '71 Strat?

Discussion in 'Stratocaster Discussion Forum' started by Borgman, May 19, 2017.

1. Borgman

Borgman New Member!

May 18, 2017
    Greenwich, CT
    IMG_20170519_130435807_HDR.jpg I probably got this guitar in the early 80's ($400,was that a fair price?) and quickly replaced the bent tuners and all or part or the trem system. I don't know if the base plate is original (anyway to check?) but the saddles were replaced (I would break at least one D string at every gig, every night!). Also the block is solid brass. I was young but I remember the tech selling me on why I needed a solid brass block... I was like, whatever, do it.

Unfortunately I didn't keep the original saddles, at the time the talk was that they were cheap crap. Now it seems like "everyone" (including me) wants these thin bent strips of metal holding their strings up.... just because they look good. And, to make it worse, from what I've read (and photos) the new "vintage" saddles are even thinner that before.

So, a big heavy trem block sounds better but thin near-sheet metal saddles don't affect the tone? I'm confused.

Yes, I love the look of the old saddles, especially compared to the ugly ones I've had on this guitar for 30+ years, but I just can't wrap my head around thin strips of bent metal.

I would like to get some of my guitar's original "mojo" and look back, but am I over thinking this?

Suggestions please.

BTW, I've never seen saddles like mine, any idea of manufacturer? I assume these to be non-Asian made just because of when I had them installed.

2. Percy

Percy Most Honored Senior Member

1971 was a transition year early '71 saddles i think were different than late'71 saddles....

3. Borgman

Borgman New Member!

May 18, 2017
    Greenwich, CT
    My '71 is June, I think, it's also a 4 bolt!!! Hallelujah!

When I look up '70's Strat saddles I see only one kind. Thinking that my guitar was probably built with lots of leftover 60's parts should look further back?

4. garyhoos1

garyhoos1 Thinking about joining a pub band. Strat-Talk Supporter

I was thinking the Late Hendrix era, ?

5. garyhoos1

garyhoos1 Thinking about joining a pub band. Strat-Talk Supporter

Any pics of the full guitar.

Percy likes this.

6. Percy

Percy Most Honored Senior Member

I think what you have or should have but you never saved them are the saddles from 1954-1971 and they are worth a fortune.....

7. Inverness

Inverness Senior Stratmaster

Dec 24, 2013
    Salt Lake City
    If you really want to get bent saddles, Fender Pure Vintage, Callaham, etc.

8. echoes71

echoes71 Senior Stratmaster

Jul 15, 2013
    USA
    Incorrect, the saddles changed in 72 for sure. To the OP, the pure vintage saddles that fender sells now are what you want.

9. Guitaraxe

Guitaraxe Strat-O-Master

Aug 22, 2015
    States
    It all depends on what kind of tone enhancement you want from the saddles. Steel will brighten things up and brass will mellow things out.