Sailing

knh555

Most Honored Senior Member
Dec 6, 2016
Massachusetts
9B057D41-F618-4F5B-94FE-8EB9218DB1CD.jpeg

It was a beautiful evening on Boston Harbor tonight and we managed to get in three races after work. Here’s my friend’s Star class sailboat coming out of the water after racing. I really like how this shot turned out. I took it from the dock at low tide while waiting my turn with with my boat.

We all stayed for beer and food at the club with the fleet after sailing.

I managed 2nds all night long.

Driftwood

Strat-Talker
Jun 8, 2021
Your moms
for sure. Back at it again this weekend, then off to the Snipe Class National Championships next week in Annapolis. It’s been way too long without a vacation.

Wow, competition sailing sounds serious. That boat looks serious. I kind of just enjoyed the quiet and laid back vibe of pleasure sailing. Exumas is first on my bucket list. If I sell out of Texas and head to the sunshine state maybe I'll allocate some house sale money to pour into a hole in the water. BOAT. Break Out Another Thousand. A tough go for someone playing music for the majority of their income, lol.

Enjoy and be safe on the water.

scooteraz

Senior Stratmaster
Nov 10, 2009
Peoria, AZ
View attachment 486126

It was a beautiful evening on Boston Harbor tonight and we managed to get in three races after work. Here’s my friend’s Star class sailboat coming out of the water after racing. I really like how this shot turned out. I took it from the dock at low tide while waiting my turn with with my boat.

Years and years ago, crewed a Star for most of a summer. I had a blast. I loved to sail. Well, when I have a chance, still do. I saw the picture and thought “I wonder if @knh555 has a Star” before I read the post. Great picture in the OP.

nosmo

Senior Stratmaster
Gold Supporting Member
Dec 13, 2020
Tir-na Nog'th
I used to have rich friends with sailboats and did a lot of cruising/racing here in Puget Sound for many years. Biggest game was in January 1984, taking a friends C&C 43 apart, having it trucked down to San Diego, reassembling it and racing to Manzanillo, Mexico,and then spending a month doing short MexOrc races up and down the coast. (And then being detained by the Mexican authorities, but that's another story.) Never sailed a Star, but there used to be a lot of them up here. The worst day sailing is better than the best day working.

Cerb

Anti conformist reformist
Jan 22, 2016
Sweden
That looks great Kevin! I'm not much of a racer but I'd love to go cruise around your area. Some day maybe. The Exumas don't sound bad either...

nadzab

Play Don't Worry
Silver Member
May 15, 2009
New England
Nice! This week was hot, I snuck out of work early and we cruised around Casco Bay...it was super calm, we just drifted for a while outside of South Freeport and had a picnic. I love being on sailboats, but I'm lazy and prefer power boats...

IMG_2118.jpg

IMG_2164.jpg

IMG_2173.JPG

IMG_2178.JPG

Last edited:

muttonbuster

Senior Stratmaster
Nov 14, 2020
República de Cantaloupia
I used to have rich friends with sailboats and did a lot of cruising/racing here in Puget Sound for many years. Biggest game was in January 1984, taking a friends C&C 43 apart, having it trucked down to San Diego, reassembling it and racing to Manzanillo, Mexico,and then spending a month doing short MexOrc races up and down the coast. (And then being detained by the Mexican authorities, but that's another story.) Never sailed a Star, but there used to be a lot of them up here. The worst day sailing is better than the best day working.

In January?! Yikes. Do you plan around the surf for that? I can't remember if 83 or 84 was the El Dingo year, but legend is that Puerto Escondido had 50ft+ faces rolling through like Pipeline on steroids in January of that year. This picture is of my home break from then. Can't imagine sailing through the groundswell that was causing this madness.

PV INDICATOR.jpg

nosmo

Senior Stratmaster
Gold Supporting Member
Dec 13, 2020
Tir-na Nog'th
In January?! Yikes. Do you plan around the surf for that? I can't remember if 83 or 84 was the El Dingo year, but legend is that Puerto Escondido had 50ft+ faces rolling through like Pipeline on steroids in January of that year. This picture is of my home break from then. Can't imagine sailing through the groundswell that was causing this madness.

View attachment 486155

Man if I ever saw a wave like that I'd die of fright. No, actually we had very good seas for that trip, steady wind, ran under spinnaker for nine days, sort of arced out about 150 miles to catch the trade wind and made a long spinnaker reach into Manzanillo for the finish. I think it was about 70* when we left San Diego and got warmer as we went south. Threw a hook and line over the stern and caught tuna twice. Understand that boat was basically a big fat cruising yacht, 43 feet and about 20,000 pounds, so we had no hope of winning anything, just a fun thing to do. The only real problem we had was running out of rum.

Sorry didn't mean to hijack this thread.

knh555

Most Honored Senior Member
Dec 6, 2016
Massachusetts
Man if I ever saw a wave like that I'd die of fright. No, actually we had very good seas for that trip, steady wind, ran under spinnaker for nine days, sort of arced out about 150 miles to catch the trade wind and made a long spinnaker reach into Manzanillo for the finish. I think it was about 70* when we left San Diego and got warmer as we went south. Threw a hook and line over the stern and caught tuna twice. Understand that boat was basically a big fat cruising yacht, 43 feet and about 20,000 pounds, so we had no hope of winning anything, just a fun thing to do. The only real problem we had was running out of rum.

Sorry didn't mean to hijack this thread.

You're talking sailing and it sounds like a good time. I don't see that as a thread hijack in the least.

Nick-O

Senior Stratmaster
Jun 20, 2014
South Carolinashire
View attachment 486126

I used to crew on a friend's boat in my late teens....a couple nights a week and on weekdays. I think it was a Capri 26, which was a popular racer back then. Sure brings me some memories I hadn't had in a while. Enjoy yourself...sounds like a great place to do it.