Sale Of The Century (and I missed it)

Retroe

Strat-Talker
May 22, 2011
Detroit, Michigan
So I have alerts set in my eBay account that send me an email when a certain model guitar gets listed.

Yesterday morning I received an email for an awesome Custom Shop model ant an unbelievable price. And of course it was a Monday and I was busy in the morning. When I did finally click on it later that evening, it was already sold.

I'm in the US and the seller is from overseas with zero feedback. But it looks legit and I think he just didn't know what he had and that it would sell for a lot more.

Sold for $900 with get this... Free Shipping!

Just kills me I missed it.

s-l1600.jpg

http://rover.ebay.com/rover/1/711-5...0001&campid=5338148356&icep_item=334177094172

Eric_G

Senior Stratmaster
Jan 10, 2021
Quebec
Are you sure this is legit ?

I tried to read the serial number and look it up...

If you try R76582, the serial doesn't return a product on Fender customer support site.

If you try R76562, then it returns it as a Tele Charcoal Paisley...

Hard to tell from the picture supplied what's the exact serial...

Retroe

Strat-Talker
May 22, 2011
Detroit, Michigan
Are you sure this is legit ?

I tried to read the serial number and look it up...

If you try R76582, the serial doesn't return a product on Fender customer support site.

If you try R76562, then it returns it as a Tele Charcoal Paisley...

Hard to tell from the picture supplied what's the exact serial...

I think you got the serial numbers correct and that the second to last number is either a 6 or 8

It sure looks legit however the pups have been changed.

Did you see the case that comes with it? Never seen a Fender case like that before.

Retroe

Strat-Talker
May 22, 2011
Detroit, Michigan
Or the guy just didn't know what it was worth.

It's the reason I have alerts because sometimes people sell stuff at ridiculously low prices on eBay.

AND, if it turns out to be too good to be true, eBay has your back.

Eric_G

Senior Stratmaster
Jan 10, 2021
Quebec
I think you got the serial numbers correct and that the second to last number is either a 6 or 8

It sure looks legit. However it seems like the pups have been changed.

Did you see the case that comes with it? Never seen a Fender case like that before.

I did notice the case, it's actually very pretty. A bit too flashy for me, but I have to admit, I have never seen a case like that.

Like others said, there is enough red flags to be very suspicious... It mentions certificate, but I don't recall seeing a picture of it. That would give us a better view of the serial number. I think you can tell yourself, you didn't miss a deal, the fact you were busy might have saved you from a fraud ! :D

FrieAsABird

Senior Stratmaster
Mar 18, 2020
Germany
While I agree that sometimes, people don’t know what they have and sell it for less than it’s worth, the title of the ad makes it clear that the seller knew what it was and Google would have told him right away wha it’s worth- an estimate at least. I wouldn’t have touched this but maybe it was just a really nice deal- who knows :)
I agree with the red flags, but that wouldn't have stopped me.

it sure didn't stop someone else.

Bakelite1

Strat-Talker
Nov 26, 2020
Vancouver BC
I don't know if I believe the backstory (Are sellers sworn to disclose selling price?) but that is an awesome looking rig! I've always wondered why a tele bridge wouldn't work really well in a strat? I've got one in the middle position between two HBs on my bench right now. It ain't pretty like that one, though!

Baelzebub

Dr. Stratster
Nov 1, 2019
State of Disbelief
A brand new ebay lister with zero ratings. I probably wouldn't send him $900....

I definitely wouldn't. Enough detail in the listing for anyone to figure out what it's actually worth if it's genuine. If he didn't know what he had, then it's unlikely he would have listed it as "Master Built" since that's a term of art.

And I certainly, under no circumstances, would rely on ebay to cover anything. From what I've read and heard any protections they offer seem to be arbitrary and there are never any explanations given.

velvet_man

Senior Stratmaster
Sep 7, 2016
Vancouver
Does Fender make a big headstock with the truss rod adjustment at the heel? And does that look like a maple cap instead of one-piece maple to anyone else?