Join Strat-Talk Today

same old noiseless pup discussion but for me...

Discussion in 'Pickup Forum' started by chrose1201, Nov 25, 2019.

1. EC Strat-boy

EC Strat-boy Senior Stratmaster Strat-Talk Supporter

good idea - post back what you think

2. chrose1201

chrose1201 Strat-Talk Member

Ok, so I borrowed a Fender Jimmie Vaughan signature Strat. Tex Mex in the neck and middle and extra hot Tex Mex in the bridge. Yes, they definitely had some hum to them, but not horrible. Interesting that the hum is mostly on the pups themselves and not when they are in the 2nd and 4th positions (out of phase... d'uh..) But I did notice that they were much livelier. Needless to say the pedals behaved differently as well. I think overall I like the vintage tone better. When I A-B'd them it just felt like the noiseless were a bit choked out. Don't know that I want the Tex Mex pups but I will definitely look at the vintage sound now. I thought the SD Hendrix pups sounded interesting.

3. ChrisD

ChrisD Strat-O-Master

I agree with this :cool:

mshivy and chrose1201 like this.
  4. Seamus OReally

Seamus OReally Senior Stratmaster Silver Member

I’m following this thread with some interest. Can you describe what you mean by “choked out” in audio terms?

5. chrose1201

Almost like you put a sheet over your amp. It seemed like the pups weren't as clear and powerful as the Tex Mex. Like they would go to 10 and you couldn't get the noiseless past 8 or so. Make better sense in that respect?

6. Seamus OReally

Seamus OReally Senior Stratmaster Silver Member

I’m going to take that to mean “less high end.” Thanks, that tells me a lot... my current pickups don’t have an attenuated high end response.

7. EC Strat-boy

Yes that’s the nature of the VNs. The STK 4’s are VERY different than they are in a good way.

8. AcrylicSuperman

AcrylicSuperman Strat-Talker

I love the mojotone quiet coils. They require 500k pots though, but sound similar to single coils with 250k pots.

9. Dreamdancer

Dreamdancer Strat-O-Master

So this is like a blanket over your amp:rolleyes:?

albala likes this.
  10. chrose1201

Yeah, I could barely hear that....:D
    You know what I mean when compared head to head using the exact same parameters the noiseless were a little deader than the non noiseless. Apples to apples sort of thing, or in the case of the Tex Mex pups "sort of thang"....

11. EC Strat-boy

If I can interpret - SD, Dimarzio, Mojotone and Kinman among others have made a lot of improvements to their noiseless offerings So much so that they’re very tough to tell much of a difference from true singles. But fenders noiseless options just haven’t made the same improvements IMO.

fenderkev likes this.
  12. fenderkev

fenderkev Most Honored Senior Member

Kinman, and Dimarzio Areas which are direct copies of Kinmans BTW, really are as good as single coils but without the noise. I ditched the Fender Fat 50s in my Am Std for Dimarzio Areas and have never regretted it for a minute.

EC Strat-boy likes this.
  13. EC Strat-boy

That’s interesting re the areas - didn’t know that.
    The STK 4’s from SD - same thing. I can’t tell the difference and it’s awesome having no 60 cycle hum.

fenderkev likes this.
  14. fenderkev

A lot of players won't use DiMarzios because it's been rumoured they copied Kinmans design, then patented that design before Kinman got a chance to. I have no idea how true that story is but either way, at the price point that Kinmans come in at, I have no problem using the DiMarzios.;)

Dreamdancer and EC Strat-boy like this.
  15. EC Strat-boy

That’s just wrong if true. Makes me lose some respect for DM.

how much are the Kinmans?

16. jvin248

jvin248 Senior Stratmaster

I think you are getting distracted by this thread. Your original premise of going with the Vintage Fender pickups is the most 'sound' starting point for you right now. Later you can get another pickguard and load that up with alternatives as you chase the pickup tone game (don't forget the pots and caps are a huge part of that chase so swap them too, and before swapping pickups). With two pickguards loaded up you can easily swap back and forth.

Keep your original noiseless pickups and wiring harness as intact as you can .. someday you may want to sell the guitar or you find you miss the old comfortable tones and this is the only practical way to go back.

Outside of the pickups:
    -make sure you have shielded cable to the jack, not Fender's idea of separate wires (or why not exchange the guitar to amp cable for two simple wires?) I have found this is 50% of the fixable noise floor.
    -Shield the cavities and pickguard. Aluminum flashing tape is the least expensive and performs better than paint or copper (copper looks luxurious but papers on shielding favor aluminum). This is the other 50%.

17. fenderkev

£204-223 in the UK which on reflection isn't that bad in comparison to DiMarzio. My Areas have all been bought used though, costing less than £40 per pickup. You can only get the Kinmans in sets.

EC Strat-boy and Dreamdancer like this.
  18. Dreamdancer

Dreamdancer Strat-O-Master

Areas are such great value for money....i honestly dont know who copied who here but those pickups and especially the area 67 are even more quiet than regular humbuckers,excellent sounding, and you can find them even cheaper used.I wouldnt buy used kinmans though....i would bite the bullet and get the whole set new, simply because they seem more frail to me for some reason.

In my view noiseless are by far superior the way SS frets are to NS ones.Not only they dont lack soundwise for whats expected but since they are noiseless you can use them for whats...unexpected....with high gain settings so in essence you can play anything with them unless you are in a death metal band or something:D.

EC Strat-boy and fenderkev like this.
  19. chrose1201

Thank Jvin248, however as I said in the OP I am doing a new build, which means I can do whatever I want. My 98 Amer. Deluxe ain't going nowhere nor getting messed with at all. I will always have the noiseless in there. But since this guitar will be a blank slate I can have whatever I want in there so that is why I am soliciting opinions from which to make my decision. I am leaning towards vintage, but no boutiques. It is down to Seymour or Fender pups. I hear that the STK-S4 is very much like a vintage without the hum. Like I said in an earlier post I A/B'd the Tex Mex vs the noiseless and I was happy with the vintage sound so I am leaning towards that. I like the sound and idea of the SD Hendrix pups. But then again Fenders are half the price :) and I am not such a great player that I will notice the nuances. I will be playing a wide variety of material but nothing high gain.

EC Strat-boy likes this.
  20. EC Strat-boy

Let us know what you decide!

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.