Warmoth.com darrenriley.com Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups

Warmoth.com darrenriley.com Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups Guitar Pickups

Warmoth.com darrenriley.com Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups Guitar Pickups

Join Strat-Talk Today

Sanding down neck Q'n

Discussion in 'DIY Amp Forum' started by StratPlus97, Aug 22, 2017.

1. StratPlus97

StratPlus97 Strat-O-Master

Apr 7, 2016
    USA
    I recently played a guitar that had the next sanded down, and loved it. Decided I would give it a shot. I was nervous so I started with 800 then 600 than 400. It seems like it's sanding uneven now. Before I continue just wanted to get some thoughts on what I should do now.
    1503440778674.jpg 1503440793614.jpg 1503440802697.jpg

2. nungesser

nungesser I ain't askin' for much..Lord take me downtown... Strat-Talk Supporter

Apr 28, 2014
    Ireland
    you can work on the parts that have not sanded, the finish might be thicker in those parts or just the nature of sanding you are not getting the same pressure on the contoured bits, you can do the same thing you've been doing but just work the area's that have been missed, once you get it all down to wood then you can start at the whole thing with your varying grits of paper, no panic you're doing fine. if you don't want to do the flat part of the heal or other parts just tape them off

3. StratPlus97

Apr 7, 2016
    USA
    Thank you! Can I get close to the edges of the board going g right over the frets?

4. nungesser

nungesser I ain't askin' for much..Lord take me downtown... Strat-Talk Supporter

Apr 28, 2014
    Ireland
    i would tape off the edges of the fretboard, splurge and use that easy to remove blue tape, if its a rosewood fretboard you will lighten the color of the wood by sanding it, if its a maple type fretboard it usually has a finish on it and it would be better to leave it alone. now if you happened to have sanded into the rosewood you can always tape off the neck and apply a little oil be it lemon, teak or what have you to bring the richness back to the rosewood dab it on with a q-tip and wipe off the excess and by taping off the neck you can keep it from soaking into your sanded neck,

5. StratPlus97

Apr 7, 2016
    USA
    Thank you for the suggestions and help. It's actually a maple board. I just finished putting on 100% pure tung oil today, and she looks and feels glorious!

6. jaybones

jaybones Most Honored Senior Member

FWIW when I do this, I use a Scotchbrite pad. I only try and knock the poly down, and the scotchbrite on the wood makes it feel nice and silky smooth. Like years of playing.

Dave Harmon likes this.

7. nungesser

Apr 28, 2014
    Ireland
    Great! glad it worked out for you, Enjoy!