Sanding off Epiphone logo?

Discussion in 'DIY Strat Forum' started by MackBar, Dec 29, 2020.

1. MackBar

MackBar New Member!

Hey all- I’ll preface by saying I am not trying to create a fake Gibson from an Epi. I have many memories with my Epiphone Les Paul flame maple honeyburst but simply do not care for the headstock shape. I want to sand it to bare wood, reshape it, and stain the front or repaint solid black.

Does anyone know how deep the Epiphone inlay on the top of an Epiphone Les Paul Plus Top is? Can it be sanded off or is it a few mm deep? Thanks!

2. wjsb316

wjsb316 Strat-Talker

There should be an think overlay over the entire headstock. It's typically less than an 8th of an inch thick.

You can probably use a heat gun to melt the glue and just scrape it off.

Good luck.

3. rolandson

rolandson Most Honored Senior Member

deep enough such it likely you'll destroy it. it's an inlay, not a decal. figure 1.5 to 2.5mm minimum.

4. systolsys

systolsys Strat-O-Master

Worst case, you take off a couple of mm, put on a veneer to bring it back up. Means you get to choose exactly what grain you have should you go for a clear/transparent finish.

5. RobZ69

RobZ69 Senior Stratmaster

Apparently you actually do care, if you are willing to go to such lengths to change it.

You could just sell it, buy one of the new ones with a shape probably more to your liking, instead of destroying a perfectly good guitar.

Or start saving for 'a real one'.

Caddy, crashbelt and soulman969 like this.
  6. soulman969

soulman969 Senior Stratmaster

Hooray.....:thumb:

Why when there is already an easy solution to "I like everything but it's headstock shape" does a far more difficult solution which may not come out as well as intended and will almost surely cause serious depreciation in the guitars value seem to be the wise thing to do? :confused:

It's not. :thumbd:

Caddy, RobZ69 and crashbelt like this.
  7. stratocarlster

stratocarlster Most Honored Senior Member

You might get more help at mylespaul. Then again you might get more unsolicited opinions

Baelzebub, s5tuart and Thrup'ny Bit like this.
  8. crashbelt

crashbelt Strat-O-Master

It would be fun to post this query at MLP. You'll need a flameproof suit:eek:

Caddy, stratocarlster and s5tuart like this.
  9. Thrup'ny Bit

Thrup'ny Bit Grand Master Curmudgeon

There are full instructions on YouTube, where nobody cares...

10. 3bolt79

3bolt79 Dr. Stratster

Sorry guy, there just isn’t an easy way to do it. You will wind up destroying it it the process probably.

11. s5tuart

s5tuart Perfecting time travel since 2525

12. Thrup'ny Bit

Thrup'ny Bit Grand Master Curmudgeon

People used to buy the headstock veneer and rebuild the Epiphone headstock to suit. I think most of the videos have been removed, but there are still sites with full instructions for the less scrupulous amongst us.

s5tuart likes this.
  13. Baelzebub

Baelzebub Most Honored Senior Member

Why not just skin it? You know those skins they make for cars, they also make them for guitar bodies, and skinyourskunk can make you a custom one. The thickness isn't that great so it probably wouldn't interfere with most tuners, you can get a sheet with your grandkids face on it if that's what you would rather see there, and they are removable. Pretty easy job, changes the look with permanently destroying any value...

Seems doable.

s5tuart likes this.
  14. MackBar

MackBar New Member!

Thanks all! Not worried about destroying value as I don’t intend to sell it. I have a “real one” already too, a 1973 Gibson Les Paul Deluxe Cherry Burst that I love playing as well. The Epiphone has always been something I’ve been fine moding (I swapped pickups, added a trapeze tailpiece, and knocked down the shine to a satin). As for it being easier to buy a new guitar, sure, but I think it much more fun to DIY and feel good about the outcome.

Great to know that it’s a few millimeters deep. I’ll keep that in mind. Thanks!

s5tuart likes this.
  15. Seamus OReally

Seamus OReally Buried alive in the blues Gold Supporting Member

I knew a guy who sawed the name Washburn - with a jigsaw, straight across - off the peghead of a 335-style guitar, and just left it that way. When I asked why, he said he didn’t want people to think it was a cheap guitar, and I told him that was just the dumbest thing I’d ever seen done. Not implying the OP is doing it for the same reasons, this just reminded me of that story.