Saw Yngwie on sunday night and he still has it , check out the pic

Mongoose

Strat-Talk Member
Jan 1, 2022
Myrtle Beach Sc
Had a great time , and saw him from 3 feet away all night . He was hard on his strat , but still shreds like 1984 . The Db was 115 , crazy loud !!!!...I noticed he had scalloped frets , ...whats your opinion on scalloped frets ? Are they hard to play ? Why even do scalloped frets ?

Attachments

• IMG_0653.jpg
    IMG_0653.jpg
    177 KB · Views: 142

DanielB

Strat-Talker
Sep 5, 2020
Detroit, MI
I envy you! Must have been a great show. As for the scalloped frets, I have never played a guitar with one (or known anyone who has), but I think that the players that do this put the scalloped frets on their guitars because it increases the speed of their playing in that the scalloped frets reduce friction on the fretboard. Another noteworthy Strat player of the hard rock/metal genre, Ritchie Blackmore of Deep Purple/Rainbow fame Had scalloped frets on his guitars, at least for a while. They say Steve Vai and John McGlaughlin use scalloped frets. Hope this helps and glad to see Yngwie is still rocking!

Hanaywhat

Strat-Talker
Mar 23, 2022
Vancouver Island
Had a great time , and saw him from 3 feet away all night . He was hard on his strat , but still shreds like 1984 . The Db was 115 , crazy loud !!!!...I noticed he had scalloped frets , ...whats your opinion on scalloped frets ? Are they hard to play ? Why even do scalloped frets ?
It's so his fingers don't touch the fretboard when he's shredding.

Dick Blackmore

Senior Stratmaster
Jan 10, 2017
Black Hole
Blackmore stated its so he can bend easier, so his fingers get under the string. Yngwie has stated it makes vibrato easier. McLaughlin did it because Django did it and he no longer does it just plays PRS with jumbo frets. I have a Blackmore strat it does make the guitar feel shreddy, if that is a word.

Did you know that Yngwie single handedly
-saved Fender from bankruptcy
-saved Marshall from bankruptcy
-saved the blues when he released 'Blue Lightning' the be all end all statement of what the blues is and forever shall be.

In the dictionary the definition of 'bluesman' has a picture of Yngwie '****ing' Malmsteen

'I dont like ****ing donuts!' Yngwie Malmsteen

CB91710

No GAS shortage here
Double Platinum Supporting Member
Feb 24, 2019
SoCal
I've never played a scalloped neck. How is it? Does it really make a huge difference? I've always wondered about that.
Think of it like jumbo frets on steroids.

If you play with a heavy touch, you'll have nothing but problems with your intonation.
It actually helps me play faster because it forces me to play with a lighter touch... Yngwie claims it actually slows him down, but he likes it for the vibrato.

It's not for everyone... some love them, some hate them.
Some, like the Vai Jem are only scalloped above the 12th fret, so it's not a factor for chording.

Murdog

Senior Stratmaster
Gold Supporting Member
May 7, 2021
U.S.A.
Think of it like jumbo frets on steroids.

If you play with a heavy touch, you'll have nothing but problems with your intonation.
It actually helps me play faster because it forces me to play with a lighter touch... Yngwie claims it actually slows him down, but he likes it for the vibrato.

It's not for everyone... some love them, some hate them.
Some, like the Vai Jem are only scalloped above the 12th fret, so it's not a factor for chording.
That makes sense. Thank you!

Mongoose

Strat-Talk Member
Jan 1, 2022
Myrtle Beach Sc
I envy you! Must have been a great show. As for the scalloped frets, I have never played a guitar with one (or known anyone who has), but I think that the players that do this put the scalloped frets on their guitars because it increases the speed of their playing in that the scalloped frets reduce friction on the fretboard. Another noteworthy Strat player of the hard rock/metal genre, Ritchie Blackmore of Deep Purple/Rainbow fame Had scalloped frets on his guitars, at least for a while. They say Steve Vai and John McGlaughlin use scalloped frets. Hope this helps and glad to see Yngwie is still rocking!
The sad part was , it was held in a small venue ,with only 90 people showing up . It made me feel old ..most people there were between 50 and 65

Mongoose

Strat-Talk Member
Jan 1, 2022
Myrtle Beach Sc
Dang, you have to duck so he doesn’t accidentally smack you with the headstock. It’s like you’re on stage with him.
What you said is true , i was less then 12 inches from his guitar at times , The 15 year old me would never have believed i saw his 2 hour show 3 feet away ...what really made me sad was there was only about 90 people at the show and everyone was over 50 ....I think what we all loved in the mid 80s is coming to a close

sam_in_cali

Scream for me Strat-Talk!
Silver Member
Feb 21, 2014
Rancho Cucamonga, CA
How many picks did he kick at your face? :p

I saw him a few years ago and ya, he has not let his foot off the gas at all.

CB91710

No GAS shortage here
Double Platinum Supporting Member
Feb 24, 2019
SoCal
The sad part was , it was held in a small venue ,with only 90 people showing up . It made me feel old ..most people there were between 50 and 65
I'm surprised any were under 55.
Alcatraz and Yngwie's real peak solo was in the mid to late 80s.
He continued releasing, but his popularity was pretty slim and he was extremely niche, really dropped off quickly after his car accident.
The whole neo-classical thing was very short lived... even Pantera was doing it and quickly went to thrash.