Saw Yngwie on sunday night and he still has it , check out the pic

amstratnut

Peace thru Music.
Dec 1, 2009
My house.
What you said is true , i was less then 12 inches from his guitar at times , The 15 year old me would never have believed i saw his 2 hour show 3 feet away ...what really made me sad was there was only about 90 people at the show and everyone was over 50 ....I think what we all loved in the mid 80s is coming to a close

Did you wear ear plugs?

GuitaristInProgre

New Member!
Silver Member
Jul 21, 2021
United States
What you said is true , i was less then 12 inches from his guitar at times , The 15 year old me would never have believed i saw his 2 hour show 3 feet away ...what really made me sad was there was only about 90 people at the show and everyone was over 50 ....I think what we all loved in the mid 80s is coming to a close
This happened to me 10 or 15 years ago with a funk band of '70s legends... Bernie Worrell from PFunk on keys, the guy from the Meters on guitar, I got to watch from as close as you were here, they absolutely tore the roof off for a crowd of maybe 70 or 80 people in a small room.

Stu78

Senior Stratmaster
Apr 20, 2019
Scotland
I always thought old Yingying scalloped his boards because he was a Blackmore fan, and Ritchie scalloped his.

Of course if you have a scalloped board and have someone re-fret the guitar, you need to make sure they're not a complete idiot.

Yep, seen this video. He seems to be quite stoic and unflusterred by the fact the tech man screw his main guitar. I'd be going several shades of ape**** myself! 🤣

AngelDeVille

Senior Stratmaster
Jul 25, 2017
ABQ
I've never played a scalloped neck. How is it? Does it really make a huge difference? I've always wondered about that.

Think of it like jumbo frets on steroids.

If you play with a heavy touch, you'll have nothing but problems with your intonation.
It actually helps me play faster because it forces me to play with a lighter touch... Yngwie claims it actually slows him down, but he likes it for the vibrato.

It's not for everyone... some love them, some hate them.
Some, like the Vai Jem are only scalloped above the 12th fret, so it's not a factor for chording.

In the 80's we didn't have the super gargantuan frets available like we do today.

The feel is very close to the super tall extra jumbo frets available today, but scalloping just a little better.

no kung-fu death grip while playing a scalloped board

StratSounds

Senior Stratmaster
Sep 10, 2016
Rocky Mountain Way
Sorry you're mistaken and WilseyfanPDX is correct.
While Tesla is a band that came out in the 80s, Billy Sheehan was never a member.
A quote from Billy's Wikipedia page discussing his time in Talas that is pertinent...

"Talas would release only one more album, Live Speed on Ice. After Mitch Perry left the band, he was replaced by Johnny Angel, who played guitar with them for their 1985/86 US tour opening for Yngwie Malmsteen's Rising Force."

I think this may be the tour your thinking of.
Thanks for posting this man, I was seriously trippin' for a minute there. I saw Tesla in '87 and after reading Scott's post I was thinking "wait a minute, was Billy Sheehan really in Tesla for a bit?"😁

Jimi Lightning

Most Honored Senior Member
Dec 21, 2016
Ontario, Canada
I'm surprised any were under 55.
Alcatraz and Yngwie's real peak solo was in the mid to late 80s.
He continued releasing, but his popularity was pretty slim and he was extremely niche, really dropped off quickly after his car accident.
The whole neo-classical thing was very short lived... even Pantera was doing it and quickly went to thrash.

Niche yes, absolutely… but there’s alot of bands that put out material back then doing Neo-classical material albeit a lot where from across the pond.
I tracked down and many and one USA neo-classical guy that I followed was Joe Stump as well as his other bands. Man can he play. “Night of the shred guitar” is awesome!

DJGranite

Senior Stratmaster
Feb 12, 2012
Maine
No, the band name was Tesla around 1988.

Not to be a jerk but I think your confusing the 2 bands, the names are only 1 letter apart.
All of this information is readily available on-line.

Tesla's bassist from the beginning as City Kidd, before their name change, until 1996 was Brian Wheat.
Their first slots were opening for David Lee Roth 10-86-early 87. No shows in Texas.
After that they opened for Def Leppard for over a year, took a break, then opened for Poison until 07-89.

In this time frame they played Dallas once.

Jun 20, 1987Texxas World Music Festival
Boston / Aerosmith / Poison / Whitesnake / Tesla / Fahrenheit
Cotton BowlDallas, Texas, United States Show Duplicates for Jun 20, 1987

But no Yngwie...

Billy's band Talas played opening for Yngwie's Rising Force 85-86 Tour
Untitled.png

Scott Baxendale

Most Honored Senior Member
Gold Supporting Member
May 20, 2020
Athens Ga
Not to be a jerk but I think your confusing the 2 bands, the names are only 1 letter apart.
All of this information is readily available on-line.

Tesla's bassist from the beginning as City Kidd, before their name change, until 1996 was Brian Wheat.
Their first slots were opening for David Lee Roth 10-86-early 87. No shows in Texas.
After that they opened for Def Leppard for over a year, took a break, then opened for Poison until 07-89.

In this time frame they played Dallas once.

Jun 20, 1987Texxas World Music Festival
Boston / Aerosmith / Poison / Whitesnake / Tesla / Fahrenheit
Cotton BowlDallas, Texas, United States Show Duplicates for Jun 20, 1987

But no Yngwie...

Billy's band Talas played opening for Yngwie's Rising Force 85-86 Tour
View attachment 561459
I’m pretty sure it was Tesla, with Sheehan filling in opening for Malsteem around 86/87 at a small old theater on lower Greenville in Dallas. It could have been a one off show and not a tour, I guess? I showed Malsteem my custom scalloped Baxendale before the show and briefly met Billy Sheehan.

WhiteWabbit

Senior Stratmaster
Nov 6, 2014
Canada
Tesla did. It was probably there biggest hit.

Billy Shehan was not in Tesla, he was in Talas.

That’s the ticket. Gets played on the radio up here pretty often as it is deemed Canadian content since Five Man was Canadian but wouldn’t know them otherwise.

Andmyaxe

Strat-Talker
May 12, 2021
USA
Tesla still tours. Saw them a few years ago with Def Leppard and Styx. Tesla sounded great. I have no idea how dude can even talk anymore after singing with that gritty voice. Great band. Modern Day Cowboy is my favorite Tesla song.

Styx was also amazing live, btw. I wasn't a big Styx fan before the show but I am now after seeing them live.