Scammer tried to get me!

Jovi17

Strat-Talker
Jul 11, 2021
CT
If a number calls that I don’t know or not in my contacts, I never answer and if they don’t leave a message than it’s not important. Straight to my blocked numbers they go. It’s ridiculous.

Later

Strat-Talker
Aug 1, 2021
Gone
If a number calls that I don’t know or not in my contacts, I never answer and if they don’t leave a message than it’s not important. Straight to my blocked numbers they go. It’s ridiculous.
Unfortunately for me I can't run a business without answering the phone.
My dad almost got caught in the grandparent scam. He got a call that my daughter was in jail
and her bail was $25K. If we Western Unioned him $2500 he could get her out. She supposedly ran over a pregnant woman in NYC. When I got there dad was all upset. So I called the kid on her cell. She was 150 miles away from NYC in Prov RI where she lives and at work! So, when "her lawyer" called back I had a little fun with the POS! :thumb:;):D

Jovi17

Strat-Talker
Jul 11, 2021
CT
Unfortunately for me I can't run a business without answering the phone.
My dad almost got caught in the grandparent scam. He got a call that my daughter was in jail
and her bail was $25K. If we Western Unioned him $2500 he could get her out. She supposedly ran over a pregnant woman in NYC. When I got there dad was all upset. So I called the kid on her cell. She was 150 miles away from NYC in Prov RI where she lives and at work! So, when "her lawyer" called back I had a little fun with the POS! :thumb:;):D

Totally understandable. I’m just talking about my personal phone.

My grandmother could’ve been a victim of the grandparent scam. Someone called her claiming that my brother got into a car accident with his car in the Dominican Republic. They needed her to send money. My grandmother was on top of it and basically told them off and called the police. It’s so extremely sad that these scammers do this to our most vulnerable. Makes me sick.

soulman969

Most Honored Senior Member
Jan 5, 2016
Fort Collins, CO
My phone just blocks them and sends them to VM yet it's still annoying to hear a brief ring prior to that. Of course they have multiple numbers so they just try a different one and once they use that one it gets blocked as well. I must get a half dozen a day.

It costs me $1.99 per month for that service so I'm getting my monies worth.

Wish I could find a way to more effectively block scam emails. About once a month or so I get one telling me my PayPal account has been frozen which of course it hasn't been or I find a small but repetitive charge for something I never agreed to and ask to be refunded. That's one thing PayPal is pretty good about.

But the topper of all is a letter I get every once in a while about an unpaid utility bill from around 2002. o_O And it's a huge bill. Not even once have I ever had my power shut off so what's that all about? I don't know but it's far beyond the statute of limitations for any collection action or to be reported to a credit bureau so why send bother to send it at all?

nosmo

Senior Stratmaster
Gold Supporting Member
Dec 13, 2020
Amber
If you're not in my "contacts" list and you don't leave a voice message, then there's no reason for us to be talking. On the other hand, I once ignored a phone call from a "RESTRICTED" number, not realizing it was a LEO calling me about a family member. He did leave a message on his second call.

BryMelvin

Senior Stratmaster
Silver Member
Feb 13, 2014
AZ
I usually let all calls go to mail unless it is one I am expecting. Especially now! I get constant requests for money from BOTH political sides.Being 69 I also get constant "Senior Benefits"calls trying to sell me a medicare plan. and "Final Expense" They always don't understand NO. I will be so glad when they get rid of Medicare Choice.

Guy Incognito

Senior Stratmaster
May 14, 2019
Here and now
Received a bogus call from a robo voice saying they were from the electric company.Claimed that I didn't pay my bill and tried to create fear and urgency by claiming they were coming in the next few minutes to shut it off ...knew that was BS because I just paid the bill .Just for sure I called the company and my account is paid in full(knew it was ).Man they are scummy.

Apparently"Illegal Activity" has happened using my social insurance number and a warrant has already been issued for my arrest.

All can be resolved quickly by just calling a Revenue Officer.

vlxerdon

Senior Stratmaster
Jan 31, 2013
Coastal Georgia
Apparently"Illegal Activity" has happened using my social insurance number and a warrant has already been issued for my arrest.

All can be resolved quickly by just calling a Revenue Officer.

Man I get those calls at least once a week. Plus they tell me my SS number has been stopped. Just WTF does that mean, stopped.

I do like to play with these guys. Gives an old man something to do. :)

HazyPurple

You've gotta get up!, to get down!
Silver Member
May 5, 2020
UK
I had one from the 'revenue office'.

It ended "if you don't pay today, you will be arrested shortly",

I'm still waiting some six months+ later.

They did send me a cheque for £47.40 this week though

Andrew Wasson

Senior Stratmaster
Nov 6, 2018
Vancouver, Canada
Received a bogus call from a robo voice saying they were from the electric company.Claimed that I didn't pay my bill and tried to create fear and urgency by claiming they were coming in the next few minutes to shut it off ...knew that was BS because I just paid the bill .Just for sure I called the company and my account is paid in full(knew it was ).Man they are scummy.

They don’t come in to shut the power off. They just shut it off. This is something I have had experience with :oops:

Fortunately, it was summer but it was inconvenient all the same.

Thrup'ny Bit

Grand Master Curmudgeon
May 21, 2010
Yorkshire

You should see if @CigBurn still has the number for the FBI ;)

nifnof70

Strat-O-Master
Feb 8, 2017
Harpers Ferry WV
I had a possible scam recently,

Our car was hit while parked (no one in our car).
I got insurance claim in motion, said they will get back to me. Ok fine.

Out of the blue I get a “form” in the mail asking all kinds of identity questions like ssn, drivers license number, etc.
The envelope said it was from the insurance company that had the claim.
I started to mail it, but then stopped because,What if it’s a scam.
So I don’t send it, the claim goes through, and I never heard about it.

son of a b, that was probably a scam!
So, watch out Strat Talkers!

I guess accidents are public record, and anything public can make you a target.

That's "next level" scamming.

To think someone (without a conscience) would actually go through the trouble to hit your vehicle, then mail you to fish for personal info to scam you. Unfortunately, I'm sure that one gets a lot of people.

If only that effort was put towards filling out Job Applications...

bbarott

Most Honored Senior Member
Mar 29, 2010
Marietta Georgia
I do like playing with 'em sometimes. The 'your car warranty is about to expire', first words out of my mouth are 'oh sheesh, that's great news because I thought it actually HAD expired. Just had the lower mains done last week, thing threw a rod too. Dumped 6300 bucks at the shop and I'm a bit short on cash so I need someone to pay the bill, really glad to hear I was wrong about that warranty. Where do I send the bill?

Or there's the medicare junk calls, the ones that want to talk to nnnn and of course I say nnnn isn't here and ask them to call back, building it up about how nnnn is out on a walk but would love to talk to you about it blah blah. After two or three iterations of this I pick up and tell 'em sure nnn will be right there but you know nnn is a dog, right? No worries, he loves to talk on the phone and while theyre heads are spinning I start playing a recording of a dog barking and whining.

There's lots of others. They try to waste my time I'll find a way to waste theirs.