Scammer tried to get me!

Discussion in 'Sidewinders Bar & Grille' started by Philo426, Oct 8, 2021.

1. Jovi17

Jovi17 Strat-Talk Member

If a number calls that I don’t know or not in my contacts, I never answer and if they don’t leave a message than it’s not important. Straight to my blocked numbers they go. It’s ridiculous.

Lovnmesomestrat and nosmo like this.
  2. rake6978

rake6978 Strat-Talker

Unfortunately for me I can't run a business without answering the phone.
    My dad almost got caught in the grandparent scam. He got a call that my daughter was in jail
    and her bail was $25K. If we Western Unioned him $2500 he could get her out. She supposedly ran over a pregnant woman in NYC. When I got there dad was all upset. So I called the kid on her cell. She was 150 miles away from NYC in Prov RI where she lives and at work! So, when "her lawyer" called back I had a little fun with the POS! :thumb:;):D

HazyPurple and soulman969 like this.
  3. jtoomuch

jtoomuch Senior Stratmaster Silver Member

And NEVER let anyone know if you have expensive musical instruments in your home.

4. Jovi17

Jovi17 Strat-Talk Member

Totally understandable. I’m just talking about my personal phone.

My grandmother could’ve been a victim of the grandparent scam. Someone called her claiming that my brother got into a car accident with his car in the Dominican Republic. They needed her to send money. My grandmother was on top of it and basically told them off and called the police. It’s so extremely sad that these scammers do this to our most vulnerable. Makes me sick.

5. Sixstringer107

Sixstringer107 Strat-O-Master

The Endless Mountains Of Northeastern Pa.
    Also, I've never been a believer in plastering your band's name all over your van, trailer, etc. That just tells thieves exactly what's in there.

Lovnmesomestrat likes this.
  6. Sixstringer107

Sixstringer107 Strat-O-Master

The Endless Mountains Of Northeastern Pa.
    It's getting really bad, and they come up with new schemes every day, targeting the vulnerable.

7. soulman969

soulman969 Most Honored Senior Member

My phone just blocks them and sends them to VM yet it's still annoying to hear a brief ring prior to that. Of course they have multiple numbers so they just try a different one and once they use that one it gets blocked as well. I must get a half dozen a day.

It costs me $1.99 per month for that service so I'm getting my monies worth.

Wish I could find a way to more effectively block scam emails. About once a month or so I get one telling me my PayPal account has been frozen which of course it hasn't been or I find a small but repetitive charge for something I never agreed to and ask to be refunded. That's one thing PayPal is pretty good about.

But the topper of all is a letter I get every once in a while about an unpaid utility bill from around 2002. o_O And it's a huge bill. Not even once have I ever had my power shut off so what's that all about? I don't know but it's far beyond the statute of limitations for any collection action or to be reported to a credit bureau so why send bother to send it at all?

StratoMutt likes this.
  8. nosmo

nosmo Strat-O-Master Gold Supporting Member

If you're not in my "contacts" list and you don't leave a voice message, then there's no reason for us to be talking. On the other hand, I once ignored a phone call from a "RESTRICTED" number, not realizing it was a LEO calling me about a family member. He did leave a message on his second call.

soulman969 and StratoMutt like this.
  9. BryMelvin

BryMelvin Senior Stratmaster Silver Member

I usually let all calls go to mail unless it is one I am expecting. Especially now! I get constant requests for money from BOTH political sides.Being 69 I also get constant "Senior Benefits"calls trying to sell me a medicare plan. and "Final Expense" They always don't understand NO. I will be so glad when they get rid of Medicare Choice.

soulman969 likes this.
  10. ibdrkn1

ibdrkn1 Senior Stratmaster

Apparently"Illegal Activity" has happened using my social insurance number and a warrant has already been issued for my arrest.

All can be resolved quickly by just calling a Revenue Officer.

11. Philo426

Philo426 Senior Stratmaster

Yes they try that too!

12. vlxerdon

vlxerdon Senior Stratmaster

Man I get those calls at least once a week. Plus they tell me my SS number has been stopped. Just WTF does that mean, stopped.

I do like to play with these guys. Gives an old man something to do. :)

13. HazyPurple

HazyPurple Without stress... my life would be empty Silver Member

I had one from the 'revenue office'.

It ended "if you don't pay today, you will be arrested shortly",

I'm still waiting some six months+ later.

They did send me a cheque for £47.40 this week though

mad axe man likes this.
  14. HazyPurple

I do the Google no. check.

Lovnmesomestrat likes this.
  15. HazyPurple

... with maniacal laughter

16. HazyPurple

:eek::eek::eek:

jtoomuch likes this.
  17. Andrew Wasson

Andrew Wasson Senior Stratmaster

They don’t come in to shut the power off. They just shut it off. This is something I have had experience with :oops:

Fortunately, it was summer but it was inconvenient all the same.

18. Thrup'ny Bit

Thrup'ny Bit Grand Master Curmudgeon

You should see if @CigBurn still has the number for the FBI ;)

CigBurn likes this.
  19. nifnof70

nifnof70 Strat-O-Master

That's "next level" scamming.

To think someone (without a conscience) would actually go through the trouble to hit your vehicle, then mail you to fish for personal info to scam you. Unfortunately, I'm sure that one gets a lot of people.

If only that effort was put towards filling out Job Applications...

20. bbarott

bbarott Most Honored Senior Member

I do like playing with 'em sometimes. The 'your car warranty is about to expire', first words out of my mouth are 'oh sheesh, that's great news because I thought it actually HAD expired. Just had the lower mains done last week, thing threw a rod too. Dumped 6300 bucks at the shop and I'm a bit short on cash so I need someone to pay the bill, really glad to hear I was wrong about that warranty. Where do I send the bill?

Or there's the medicare junk calls, the ones that want to talk to nnnn and of course I say nnnn isn't here and ask them to call back, building it up about how nnnn is out on a walk but would love to talk to you about it blah blah. After two or three iterations of this I pick up and tell 'em sure nnn will be right there but you know nnn is a dog, right? No worries, he loves to talk on the phone and while theyre heads are spinning I start playing a recording of a dog barking and whining.

There's lots of others. They try to waste my time I'll find a way to waste theirs.

Deafsoundguy likes this.