Scary

simoncroft

Still playing. Still learning!
Silver Member
May 30, 2013
SE England
I'll bet you a dollar they don't even have on protective cups.

In almost every job I've ever had I've been on the safety committees as well. It affects your life for the rest of your life.

That is so true. I left for a job in sales in 1979, but I still find myself saying: "Now, what could possibly go wrong?" and "Really, we need to secure that..." every time I spot someone doing something dangerous, or a potential hazard.

abnormaltoy

Mouth draggin' knuckle breather
Apr 28, 2013
Tucson
That is so true. I left for a job in sales in 1979, but I still find myself saying: "Now, what could possibly go wrong?" and "Really, we need to secure that..." every time I spot someone doing something dangerous, or a potential hazard.

If I'm in a store and I see a walk-off mat laying wrinkled up on the floor I'll straighten it so no one trips on it.

Last edited:

ThreeChordWonder

Senior Stratmaster
Dec 2, 2020
Cypress TX
There was a company in Pudsey, halfway between Leeds and Bradford, that used to have huge signs on their doors saying "Health and Safety Keep Out". If you'd been inside the place you'd know why. The offshore industry kept them going rolling steel plate into cans that were then sub-arc welded up and used in offshore structures. Cables with busted insulation, clamped up terminations, welders with the steel toe caps showing through their boots, you name it.

The one that got me was the bed on the heat treatment furnace having a broken jack screw, so the way they got stuff in and out was to hose a guy down and to send him running in to hook up the overhead gantry crane.

They eventually killed a guy, I don't know how, and the place was shut down. Not before time.

joebtone

Senior Stratmaster
Silver Member
Jan 26, 2022
Northwest US
You would be the guy who makes me put the three prong plug on the Pop Tart toaster in the break room except...you're probably smart enough to know that the ground prong is a dummy prong...our guy was too dumb to know it.

BluesForDan

Senior Stratmaster
Feb 2, 2008
southern NH
on a temp assignment, at a cement pipe factory, I was asked to clean out the trough of the gigantic figure 8 cement mixer. This was a channel about 2' wide by 3' deep, probably 10-12' per lobe. They wanted me to get inside the machine and scrape off the dried on cement with a big chisel.

"Ok. Where's the lock out tag?"
"The what?"
Repeating myself "Where's the lock out tag" and added "that goes on the off/on switch?"
"Why do you need that? Just get in there and clean it."
"I'm not going in there until I see the lock out tag put on in front of me"
"Do you want me to get the supervisor?" This was said in a tone that suggested it was a threat. I smiled and said "I do, I was going to ask you to go get him."
The guy goes off in a huff to the office area, comes back with the stereotypical supervisor type, short sleeve shirt, tie, slacks.
"So what's the problem here?"
"I want a lock out tag put on the controls before I climb into the machine."
"No problem, that's what is supposed to be done."
"I know, tell them that."
He turns and says "Get a lock out tag". To me he says "Good for you, sticking up for yourself. Go watch him put the tag on"

Boubou

Senior Stratmaster
Gold Supporting Member
Jan 6, 2009
Montreal
I am a wood turner, it can be scary, when the gouge catches , I always wear face protection because it’s not “ if “ the piece breaks and fly everywhere it’s “when”. Guaranteed it will happen.
But that video is a whole other level.
Its like when I was whitewater kayaking, I was scared often, but I have been really scared a few times. Turning that log falls into the really scary category.

Stu78

Senior Stratmaster
Apr 20, 2019
Scotland
I came across this on YT and as an ex H&S man my alrm bells and sensitive rear end muscles got to twitching, feel free to flick through it and decide whether yours would come out in sympathy with mineo_O:eek:

Mind you could get a few git bodies out of that!

Yep! I deliver risk assessment training for a living (amongst other subjects) and that vid gave me a squeeky bum moment! 😱

Stu78

Senior Stratmaster
Apr 20, 2019
Scotland
I hear you. Ditto!

joebtone

Senior Stratmaster
Silver Member
Jan 26, 2022
Northwest US
I came across this on YT and as an ex H&S man my alrm bells and sensitive rear end muscles got to twitching, feel free to flick through it and decide whether yours would come out in sympathy with mineo_O:eek:

Mind you could get a few git bodies out of that!

Honestly if I do the setup on chucking up that log...I get killed...it's on me and ...I'm good with that.
My problem is I only know how to make bowls.
That log? I dunno. 😎☠️

StratUp

Most Honored Senior Member
Sep 5, 2020
Altered States
Looks safe. I just hate to see senior-skills labor wasted on the roughing-in part of a job like that. Can we train some children to do the rough work and save the senior guy for the detail shaping?

Latest posts