Warmoth.com darrenriley.com Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups

Warmoth.com darrenriley.com Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups Guitar Pickups

Warmoth.com darrenriley.com Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups Guitar Pickups

Join Strat-Talk Today

Schecter content.

Discussion in 'Non-Fender S-Type Guitar Forum' started by Elvis v, Dec 3, 2017.

1. Elvis v

Elvis v Strat-Talker

Apr 11, 2017
    My place.
    OK, I found some Schecters I like. So I sort of dislike Floyd Roses. But I love the color. And they do not have the blue quilt in the 6 string hardtail. Any info on the guitars? Did anyone play one? What do you think of the guitars?
    They have a coil tap. And Schecter humbuckers. Medium jumbo frets. UltraThin C neck profile. Banshee red..jpg Banshee Schecter.jpg Schecter-Banshee-6-FR-Extreme-Ocean-Blue-Burst.png Banshee2.jpg

circles likes this.

2. Cesspit

Cesspit Strat-Talker

Sep 4, 2016
    Oxford England
    These aren't the Schecters of old. If I am not mistaken (and I may be) I thought Schecter made parts. Think Mighty Mite and that's how I remember them. Some shops in the UK like Chandlers used to put them together and sell them as complete guitars and they were really good. Easily on a par or superior to 70s USA Strats of the time. Aren't they now made in the far east?

3. Thrup'ny Bit

Thrup'ny Bit Certified Curmudgeon Strat-Talk Supporter

May 21, 2010
    In my own little world
    Mark Knopfler played a few Schecter Strats back in the 80s

4. SDMN

SDMN New Member!

Feb 11, 2016
    North Dakota
    Schecter makes guitars in South Korea and has a USA custom shop. They are generally very nice guitars for the money. The ones I have played the quality and fit and finish have always been top notch. Them seem more popular among the Metal crowd than other genre's. If you have played it and liked it there is no reason not to pick one up.

5. knh555

knh555 Senior Stratmaster

Dec 6, 2016
    Massachusetts
    That's two iterations of the company ago (at least). In the 70's and early 80's, I think they were more like Warmoth, but with even higher end parts. Knopfler's Dream Machines (watch Alchemy if you're curious) are probably the most famous examples. I built a replica of one of those last year on a fender body and neck and an mk-guitar.com loaded guard and brass bridge and am loving it. Used Dream Machines or similar era partscasters (dreamcasters?) are not very common and expensive when you do find them.

I haven't played the modern Schecters, but they're quite different beasts I'd think. I am somewhat curious about some of the models.

Here's my replica:

6. papergoblin

papergoblin Strat-Talker

Sep 21, 2017
    Alabama
    I've owned two Schecters, a Hellraiser and a Solo 6. Each were quality instruments, especially for the price I paid. I never kept either and that's due to the necks. They are flat but to me not very thin, they remind me of a Gibson neck just not quite as thick.

I had cramps for days with them both and have never bought another one again. I suggest finding a store and go play one for 20 minutes straight at least. They may not have the model you want but the necks are all about the same, enough to give you an idea.

I prefer Fender C necks and ESP necks over the Schecter but I play thumb over, so that has a lot to do with it as well.

There quality is about like LTD, consistent but the higher you go the better you may end up.

EDIT: Forgot to mention, resale sucks. If you give $600 for one, you'll be lucky to get $300 out of it max, usually. Goes without saying, depends on location and luck.

7. rfriday

rfriday Strat-Talk Member

Jul 31, 2014
    St. Louis, MO
    I've got a 2010 C-1 Custom sunburst that I absolutely love. SD Custom Custom and '59, mahogany, strat shaped and beautiful.

8. John C

John C Senior Stratmaster

Jul 17, 2012
    Kansas City
    Schecter has an interesting history.

They start out in Van Nuys, CA in the mid-1970s as a parts company - making bodies, necks, pickups, and hardware. A couple of years into the company's history they also start making complete guitars from their parts. They were noted for exotic woods and high-end hardware. There was a partnership arrangement for the ownership - the money guys also invested in other companies (a PA/speaker enclosures company and Charvel - yes, Wayne Charvel - for a couple of years). The money guys formed a company called International Sales Associates (ISA); eventually the company's namesake, Dave Schecter, sold out to the other partners and became a salaried employee. Tom Anderson joined the company as an employee circa 1977 - he did necks, pickups and assembly of the completed guitars. Schecter instruments could also be assembled by their dealers and still carry the Schecter name.

By the end of 1983 Dave Schecter had left the company and ISA sold out to a group out of Dallas. Tom Anderson left the firm when it relocated to Dallas at the end of 1984, preferring to stay in CA and start his own company. During the Dallas era Schecter began winding down the parts business in favor of producing completed instruments. Anderson had spent a good part of 1984 helping Schecter's Japanese entity (a joint venture thing like Fender Japan) get set up. By the time the company relocated to Dallas they were using a mixture of USA, MIJ and even some Canadian parts. It was this shift to a production line that caused Fender to pull Schecter's agreement to be able to use Fender headstock shapes; it also lead Schecter to shut down to try to retool the headstock.

During that time the Dallas investors sold the company to the current owner, who is also one of the owners of ESP, in 1987. Schecter is not owned by ESP - one of the owners of ESP also owns Schecter and runs it as a separate company. The current owner moved the company back to California in 1988. In the 1990s they started their successful import line, but they have still maintained their USA Custom Shop. For a while there wasn't much production in the USA, but it seems like they have stepped that up a bit in the past 3-4 years.

As a side note - When Schecter moved to Dallas and quit selling parts some of their dealers when into business for them themselves - the most enduring being Valley Arts in CA and Rudy's Music in NYC. Rudy Pensa partnered with his luthier, John Suhr on the Pensa-Suhr models; John Suhr left Rudy in early 1991 so those became the Pensa line. John would later open his own instrument company in the mid-1990s.

Hairy Bear and Bodean like this.

9. jeff h

jeff h Senior Stratmaster

Jan 13, 2017
    Ohio
    My Hellraiser.

[​IMG]

Quality wise, It is every bit as good as my AM Strat or my Ibanez Prestige. The necks are different but the the Schecter isn't bad at all. Mine is a keeper.

10. Elvis v

Elvis v Strat-Talker

Apr 11, 2017
    My place.
    I'm talking about today's Schecters. And I also know the history of Schecters as a whole. I got one Schecter already. I'm talking about these Korean Schecters?

11. Elvis v

Elvis v Strat-Talker

Apr 11, 2017
    My place.