Scooped pickups.

Butcher of Strats

Senior Stratmaster
Feb 28, 2022
Maine
I dont hear "them" (low wind Strat pickups) as scooped, but more winds adds bass & mids and reduces highs so scooped is the opposite of more bass & mids with less highs.

The reason i dont hear that as scooped is that for one thing its more low mids that are added by a hotter coil, and if you play a low wind Strat neck pickup through any amp you hear normal nice mids, not all treble & bass with scooped mids.

Low wind Strat bridge tone lacks bass, and scooped tone is predominantly treble & bass, so lacking bass is not really scooped mids, more like emphasized highs.

Stratafied

Dr. Stratster
Oct 29, 2019
North of South
I dont hear "them" (low wind Strat pickups) as scooped, but more winds adds bass & mids and reduces highs so scooped is the opposite of more bass & mids with less highs.

The reason i dont hear that as scooped is that for one thing its more low mids that are added by a hotter coil, and if you play a low wind Strat neck pickup through any amp you hear normal nice mids, not all treble & bass with scooped mids.

Low wind Strat bridge tone lacks bass, and scooped tone is predominantly treble & bass, so lacking bass is not really scooped mids, more like emphasized highs.
Are they warmer?

Butcher of Strats

Senior Stratmaster
Feb 28, 2022
Maine
Are they warmer?
Warmer to me is more bass and less treble.
A low wind Strat neck pickup certainly sounds warm, but not really more warm than a hotter more bassy less bright Strat neck pickup.

But again, how i hear a hot over wound Strat neck pickup is maybe muddy and bassy.

Same two pickups (one low wind and one hot over wound) in the bridge position where you get less bass, the hotter pickup will indeed sound warmer, rather than muddy and bassy.

Thats why commonly a Strat set is calibrated, with something like 6.4k bridge, 5.9k middle, and 5.7k neck, assuming all same 42awg wire gauge. That ensures the neck isnt too bassy and the bridge isnt too shrill but they all sound clasdic Stratty as in clear bright classic Strat tones.

StratUp

Most Honored Senior Member
Sep 5, 2020
Altered States
Are they warmer?

No, scooped is a lot more treble. Not warm. Think Fender Twin sound.

You can simulate scooped or boosted with the EQ on your amp (assuming you have bass, mid, treble). But, it's limited by the amp. A mid scooped amp might only get to "flat" with the treble and the bass all the way down and the mids all the way up. Same for a mid-boosted amp, in the other direction. But the extremes should give you a feel for it either way.

Edit: An EQ pedal, if you have one, is even better for this testing.

Stratafied

Dr. Stratster
Oct 29, 2019
North of South
Warmer to me is more bass and less treble.
A low wind Strat neck pickup certainly sounds warm, but not really more warm than a hotter more bassy less bright Strat neck pickup.

But again, how i hear a hot over wound Strat neck pickup is maybe muddy and bassy.

Same two pickups (one low wind and one hot over wound) in the bridge position where you get less bass, the hotter pickup will indeed sound warmer, rather than muddy and bassy.

Thats why commonly a Strat set is calibrated, with something like 6.4k bridge, 5.9k middle, and 5.7k neck, assuming all same 42awg wire gauge. That ensures the neck isnt too bassy and the bridge isnt too shrill but they all sound clasdic Stratty as in clear bright classic Strat tones.
Would ceramic pickups be considered hot.

Butcher of Strats

Senior Stratmaster
Feb 28, 2022
Maine
Would ceramic pickups be considered hot.
The only pickups I see refererrd to as scooped are Strat pickups, and specifically vintage spec low wind low output.

As @Ebidis said, the magnet material doesnt make a pickup low or high output, hot or weak, and doesnt really have anything to do with the EQ.
Could be though that certain cheap ceramic magnet Strat pickups have a fairly hot coil.

Really, when the internet says scooped about Strat pickups it means bright.
What a Strat coil wound hot enough to reduce highs and boost mids creates is a mid humped tone that gets nasal as you make it still hotter.
So a stock vintage Strat coil wind is really more like flat EQ than scooed mids EQ.

Many players are also using amps with scooped mids like all the Fender RI reverb amps. So they take a flat EQ puckup and amplify it through a scooped mids amp, then say the pickup has scopped mids when its really the amp.
But even then, listen to any proper vintage style Strat using the neck pickup and run through a PRRI or DRRI.
Do the mids sound scooped in that the tone is all treble and bass?
Or does a Strat neck pickup through a DRRI sound fat?

Further consider that any bridge pickup needs to be hotter than the neck pickup its paired with to sound full and fat at amp settings that work with a given neck pickup.
Set your DRRI for a neck PAF to sound fat and not too bassy, then switch to an identical PAF bridge pickup, and it will sound too bright too. So the tone or EQ of a pickup also depends on where its mounted and how the amp EQ is set.
Yet a PAF is

Ebidis

Providing the world with flat bends since 1985
Nov 14, 2013
Alabama
Further consider that any bridge pickup needs to be hotter than the neck pickup its paired with to sound full and fat at amp settings that work with a given neck pickup.
Set your DRRI for a neck PAF to sound fat and not too bassy, then switch to an identical PAF bridge pickup, and it will sound too bright too. So the tone or EQ of a pickup also depends on where its mounted and how the amp EQ is set.
Yet a PAF is
If you're bridge pickup has it's own dedicated tone pot, then this is a non issue.

Butcher of Strats

Senior Stratmaster
Feb 28, 2022
Maine
If you're bridge pickup has it's own dedicated tone pot, then this is a non issue.
Well right, and many players are fine with that solution.
For decades all guitars had the same bridge & neck pickups, except the Telecaster of course.
I vastly prefer the bridge pickup to have a tone i like, over cutting treble on an overly bright bridge pickup.
Both methods work though.