Seagull S6 G string is sharp on the 1st fret after strings change.

Discussion in 'Acoustic Soundboard' started by mulic3, Aug 16, 2020.

1. mulic3

mulic3 Strat-Talker

I really like my new S6. It came with 12 gauge PB Cleartones which I really liked. Yesterday, I replaced them because one of them broke, after 3 months. Since then I'm having really bad intonation on my G string, only at the 1st fret. Can it be because of the new strings? Both are 12 gauge sets (new set is ernie ball earthwood's, medium light, PB); HOWEVER the new G string gauge is 24 while the cleartone G string (now broken) was 25. Could that be the reason? I find it hard to believe that I didn't notice this sharp note for 3 months. I failed to find a 25 G string, and the Cleartones are not availble in my country. Any ideas / suggestions? I'm quite worried.
    Thanks!

2. Dadocaster

Dadocaster Dr. Stratster

It is probably a poorly cut nut.

mulic3, Stratoskater and Laren like this.
  3. Stratoskater

Stratoskater Fuzz Meister General

This is most likely right especially since it’s sharp at 1st fret.

OP how sharp are we talking? It could also be you pushing down the thinner string a little harder.

mulic3 likes this.
  4. mulic3

mulic3 Strat-Talker

So sharp that it's clearly audible while playing an E chord. If it's really the nut, how come it was fine before; could it be because the G string gauge changed from .25 to .24?
    Thanks!

5. BallisticSquid

BallisticSquid Most Honored Senior Member

Did the saddle come out of the bridge when you were performing your string change? Perhaps you put the saddle back in upside down? It's an easy mistake to make.

mulic3 likes this.
  6. mulic3

mulic3 Strat-Talker

You made run upstairs and check because i did take it out :)
    Unfortunately that wasn't it because it's inserted correctly.

BallisticSquid likes this.
  7. CB91710

CB91710 CB91710 in a Legible Font Double Platinum Supporting Member

Sharp on the 1st fret (actually, lower frets, but most noticeable on 1-3) generally means a high nut slot.
    Since the heavier string was fine, we can assume that the (marginally) smaller string will sit as deer in the slot... unless the new set are something like Elixer coated strings, that makes a .024 a hair larger... but I would expect the same problem on the other wound strings as well.

Regardless, since it is only at the 1st fret, it is absolutely not a problem with the bridge. The string *is* sitting high in the nut slot, for whatever reason.
    To confirm, put a capo on the 1st fret and retune (to F)... play the open chords and confirm whether it is or is not in tune.

Loosen the string slightly, lift it out of the slot, and make sure that there is no debris or coating in the bottom of the slot from the old string.
    Maybe take the old string and "saw" it through the slot a few times to verify that it is clear, then drop the new string back in and retune.

If the problem remains, get a micrometer/calipers and measure the new and old strings to confirm that the new one is indeed a .024.

dirocyn likes this.