Searching for advice

Discussion in 'Stratocaster Discussion Forum' started by Travis2021, Apr 6, 2021 at 4:37 PM.

1. Travis2021

Travis2021 New Member!

Hi, this is my first post of this type as I never considered purchasing a guitar like this before (over 500.00).

I am looking at this guitar introduced to me by a friend. It has been owned by a musician who has played with a lot of large names over the years, mostly country.

He says it was built by a luthier named Mike Riggs, but I can find no information on the guy or any other guitars he has built. He says it is mostly stock except for the bridgework and pick-ups.

It plays really nice and feels good, but even the local shop here says they would have no way of really saying what it is worth since it is a custom build and they don't know who mike Riggs is.

Any advice on what to look for on this guitar to try to get some sort of value so I know if I am getting a good deal or not?

Thanks for your expert advice. :)

Attached Files:

2. StummerJoe

StummerJoe Senior Stratmaster

1. Welcome to the forum

2. The guitar is a fake and I wouldn't even pay $500 for it. MAYBE $300-$350 if I really liked it

Good luck

drp146, CB91710, Mr_10awg and 11 others like this.
  3. arct

arct Strat-Talk Member

Run away. Quickly.

rct

4. bluejazzoid

bluejazzoid Strats Amore Silver Member

Glad you are here @Travis2021! Just because some musician who played with large names owned that guitar doesn't mean it's something that musician actually gigged with or even liked.

Besides, a guitar's value doesn't come from previous ownership (well, unless it's Hendrix, etc.). What really matters ---what makes it easy to part with hard-earned money--- is how good a guitar functions IN YOUR HANDS as an instrument for creating music.

Anything beyond that might be good for stories, but it doesn't really add to an instrument's value TO YOU (unless you are a collector). And the guitar you're considering looks like it's not capable of being good for any of the above.

drp146 and Bowmap like this.
  5. Dibbs

Dibbs Strat-O-Master

Hi Travis 2021, welcome to Strat Talk.

Mike Riggs used a Fender neck (or fender decals). I'd say offer up 300, go no higher than 350. It DOES have a Hardshell Case, and be sure that's a part of the sale, because it's part of the instrument.

No offense, but I've never heard of Mike Riggs, either.

6. AxemanVR

AxemanVR I appreciate, therefore I am... Silver Member

Yeah, some of the “features” point to a spruced up Squier SE Special.

Maybe $200-$250 with that case - if it sounds and plays good - but I wouldn’t expect too much if those are stock SE pickups *(I can’t tell for sure, but the pickup poles look like they could be staggered, so who knows)...

In other words, we’d have to see what’s under the pickguard to determine if there’s anything more interesting worth considering...

Last edited: Apr 6, 2021 at 5:39 PM
  7. Agtronic

Agtronic Senior Stratmaster

I was going to say, often times luthiers are not really well known or researchable, but then I saw it had a Fender logo. No self-respecting luthier will brand their custom work as a Fender.

I would say thanks, but no thanks.

8. OttoG

OttoG Strat-O-Master Silver Member

Run away.

Welcome, good thing you took the time to inquire here.

Run away.

9. Groovey

Groovey Dr. Stratster

If your gonna spend good money, may as well get a certified model.

10. dbolt

dbolt Senior Stratmaster Gold Supporting Member

Welcome. Find a different fiddle.

Mr_10awg, gm1cusnr and mattier303 like this.
  11. Bowmap

Bowmap I nose a thang or two Platinum Supporting Member

There are a lot of guitars out there for 5 bills. You can get a Squire CV 50 Brand New at that price. Used in excellent condition opens up things a lot wider.

Oh and almost forgot... Welcome to the forum.

drp146, StummerJoe and Travis2021 like this.
  12. cranky

cranky Strat-O-Master

This reminds me of when George Costanza bought that junky car just because a guy named John Voit once owned it.

StratUp and StummerJoe like this.
  13. Travis2021

Travis2021 New Member!

No numbers on neck at all... :(

Last edited: Apr 6, 2021 at 8:25 PM
    drp146 likes this.
  14. Travis2021

Travis2021 New Member!

Ya... I'm feeling it now. I just need to slow down and get advice.
    I want to get a really nice guitar, just wish their was a trustworthy shop around and trustworthy people to get one from. The guitar shops in my town only carry names I've never heard of....

Last edited: Apr 6, 2021 at 8:37 PM
    drp146, Bowmap and StummerJoe like this.
  15. StummerJoe

The best advice, IMHO, is to wait and save for the real thing. At least it would have resale value in the future. Partscasters, which this is, have very little resale value.

And fakes are generally frowned on.

drp146, Mr_10awg, Dibbs and 4 others like this.
  16. Travis2021

Travis2021 New Member!

I did upload a few shots from under the pick guard, but the more I look at it, and hear from people more knowledgeable than myself, the more I don't want it... I want something that will gain in value over the years and be something I can pass on to my grandson.

drp146, CRobbins, J4ME5 and 1 other person like this.
  17. StummerJoe

^^^THIS^^^ Don't expect a Strat to go up too much in value. They're mass produced. Maybe if you get a limited edition/run or if you break the bank and go vintage.

But a genuine Fender Strat is definitely something that can be passed down.

18. West44th

West44th Strat-Talker

This is the best advice. It looks like a cheap guitar or partscaster built from cheap parts with a few mods done including a fake decal. Keep your money in your pocket for the moment and something much better will show up in the future.

drp146 and StummerJoe like this.
  19. J4ME5

J4ME5 Strat-O-Master

Have you ever considered the Made in Mexico Classic Series guitars? They are REALLY good guitars, will keep their value (or even increase...) – and could probably be found for little over your stated budget? The prices have DEFINITELY increased in recent times – but if you could stretch a little more, you'd have yourself a really, REALLY good guitar... indeed – if you be patient, and look around – I bet you could find one right on your budget! As an aside – I actually think today's prices will one day (in the not so distant future) be considered quite cheap, these (listings below) were probably HALF the price they are listed for today, when they were new... – I can't see them ever going down in price, so WHERE will they be in 10 years? Who knows!? $1200? $1500?? It sounds crazy – but... it wouldn't surprise me... I don't know... – maybe not :) !

https://reverb.com/item/39421626-fender-2002-classic-series-50-s-strat-stratocaster-sunburst
    https://reverb.com/item/39834711-20...s-stratocaster-canary-diamond-special-edition
    https://reverb.com/item/36184602-fender-classic-series-stratocaster-w-upgrades
    https://reverb.com/item/39822658-fender-stratocaster-candy-apple-red

Good luck with whatever you end up with – and welcome :thumb: !

EDIT: Oh – I should qualify, perhaps a slight exaggeration on my part – when I say 'half' of what they were new, I'm thinking the early Classic Series models – which WERE about half the price of what they are today, new... obviously models from the 2010s and so on would have cost more :) !

Last edited: Apr 6, 2021 at 6:43 PM
  20. Stratafied

Stratafied Most Honored Senior Member

Welcome, some good advice can be found here.

drp146 and StummerJoe like this.