Searching for advice

Discussion in 'Stratocaster Discussion Forum' started by Travis2021, Apr 6, 2021.

1. Scott Baxendale

Scott Baxendale Senior Stratmaster Gold Supporting Member

It’s clearly a Chinese knock off worth about $150.

3bolt79, drp146, CB91710 and 2 others like this.
  2. robert e

robert e Strat-Talk Member

I agree that skepticism is called for, and resale value is questionable, but "plays nice and feels good" is worth something. How much is up to you.

Googling turns up a Michael J. Riggs in Owensville. There are luthiers and there are "luthiers" and I don't know which type he is, but maybe you can track him down and get some info on the instrument.

drp146 and Travis2021 like this.
  3. FireFunkRevival

FireFunkRevival Strat-Talker

I just bought a mint condition 89 strat for 700. So keep that in mind. They are out there.

drp146, CB91710 and Travis2021 like this.
  4. stratman323

stratman323 Dr. Stratster

One person's Custom Build is another person's partscaster...

jd35801, Travis2021 and Bowmap like this.
  5. Robert Graf

Robert Graf Strat-Talk Member

Unless you're psychic, it's a crap shoot. New gear is all over. For anything used, you'll need to learn and search out the lesser known markets. People expecting future returns are in for a surprise. If the price of guitars shoots up at this point, it will be because everything is going up compared to the money supply. I build my own now, although I've got several Gibsons and a couple of Ricks. I don't really care what others would value my guitars at. If you really want something to pass down to your grandson: knowledge is very inexpensive, but it's possession is priceless. Consider building one (whether from parts or scratch).

6. =KARMA=

=KARMA= Senior Stratmaster Gold Supporting Member

Here’s a golden nugget of advice. :thumb:

jd35801, drp146 and gm1cusnr like this.
  7. Travis2021

Travis2021 Strat-Talk Member

So, I’ll need to get with someone out here that knows there stuff on pickups, but as far as everything else goes...
    Judging by the Cnc work on the body and back cover hole pattern, the body is a Chinese made
    The switch is a CRL spring loaded 5-way blade switch,
    The pots are 250k CTS pots,
    It’s using a K40Y-9 .047uf 200v Russian paper in oil capacitor
    Seems to be a bone nut,
    Fender strat tremolo with aftermarket saddles (original fender saddles are in case)
    No idea on the tuners... seem Chinese.

so, at this point, it’s going to go on the wall as a constant reminder to not get screwed over again by scummy people.

But, it’s been a great learning experience! Lol

Attached Files:

Dibbs likes this.
  8. Travis2021

This is the only thing I’ve built myself so far.... all cheap stuff. Just attempting to do a 3D printed body. It’s the Tiki-Caster.

Attached Files:

CB91710 likes this.
  9. CB91710

CB91710 No GAS shortage here Double Platinum Supporting Member

It's not even a Fender neck or Fender body.
    Best case, it's a Squier with fake decals.
    The case bumps the value a bit, but the guitar itself isn't worth more than $150-$200

Martin Mim, Dibbs and drp146 like this.
  10. CB91710

The 2nd part is easily attainable.
    As far as appreciating in value? That's not going to happen, particularly with the production numbers from the 1970 and on.
    I paid $600 for my '78 Strat, allowing for inflation, that's about $2200. Selling prices for that era before the pandemic blew up the used market was about $1700. Some are going for $3k now, but I think we're going to see that drop back to 2019 levels over the next year.

Best case, something that is really special might hold its value compared to inflation.
    But as a family heirloom? Absolutely, and in that case, you want to start with something really special.

Travis2021 and drp146 like this.
  11. rocknrollrich

rocknrollrich Most Honored Senior Member

Worth is an abstract idea. It changes for reasons that usually have nothing to do with the object itself.
    Having said that, that guitar is not worth 500 bucks.

Travis2021, Dibbs and drp146 like this.
  12. EllisDee

EllisDee Strat-Talk Member

Don't buy is my vote. For 500 I would be looking at something like a little used second hand highway 1 model or other genuine fender guitar. you'll be able to find some nice examples out there at that price point. Just make sure to try it out and inspect things like the frets if you can. This might mean some driving around to check things out but be prepared to walk away. (This might be tricky depending on lock down rules). Are we talking pounds or dollars?

Travis2021 and CB91710 like this.
  13. jvin248

jvin248 Senior Stratmaster

Guitars are not an investment but they do hold resale value. If you stick to a few 'rules':

-Buy used for a fair price
    -Buy brands common people are aware of (Fender and Gibson but sometimes PRS, G&L, Ibanez, Reverend, Gretsch)
    -Avoid signature models (you may love a certain player but there are just a few buyers out there who also do)
    -Guitars are a nostalgia play, what were the models played by teenagers thirty to forty years ago

The market has been running the last year at a rate where many used guitars are listed at new guitar prices. I know one guy looking for a used guitar called up Sweetwater and asked if they had any discounts on a new guitar like he was looking for. They gave him a 15-20% off 'sale price' and the new guitar was lower than used.

I'd suggest getting one of these guitars, used if you can, or new (with a discount) if you cannot:

-Fender Player Series MIM Strat or Tele
    -PRS SE 22 fret for a Les Paul play

And play them. Don't worry about buying heirlooms that the grand kids will fight over. People are funny and they fight over silly things.

4wotitswurth and Travis2021 like this.
  14. BigDan

BigDan Strat-Talker

Just do a little studying and familiarize yourself with Fender guitars. It aint rocket science. Hit the pawn shops there are thousands of strats out there just waiting for someone to love em.
    This is no deal here at all.

jd35801, Baelzebub and Travis2021 like this.
  15. Travis2021

Don’t get scammed by this guy if you ever come across him. Obviously many here know much more about guitars than I, but at least I can share a heads up of this scammer.
    Mark J Nelson out of Topeka.
    I thought about driving to his home, but scratched it off the to do list since he won’t even respond to texts.
    I was correct in that every time I look at this guitar, it reminds me of how the supposed “friend” I had and this Mark guy scammed me and how it’ll never happen again.

Attached Files:

16. CB91710

Can tell that's a fake just from that picture.

17. J4ME5

J4ME5 Strat-O-Master

Don't worry about it buddy – it's not nice being scammed, but it happens to the best of us! If I were you, I would consider not keeping the guitar. If every time you look at it, it makes you feel bad – there is no point keeping it? You are only torturing yourself, in my opinion. If you let it (the guitar, and the feelings!...) go – there will be no reminder, no pain – no bad feelings! Take back control, friend – don't let this f***er continue to cause you unnecessary pain.

Maybe you could stamp (or write) copy or something on the neck, and donate / gift the guitar? Or you could even decide to keep it! RECLAIM it – embrace it – sand off the decal, respray it red – and enjoy it! FREE the guitar from it's deceptive past – and it's unscrupulous, c**t of a previous owner!

Whatever you do – don't allow it to get you down :thumb: !

18. Baelzebub

Baelzebub Most Honored Senior Member

THIS. Do some digging and you'll find a nice Player series for that money and they're great guitars.

3bolt79, jd35801 and Bowmap like this.
  19. Bob the builder

Bob the builder Most Honored Senior Member

Nope
    Ya lost me after
    "Thought about driving to his home"....
    You were advised to run away a whole bunch of times.
    just sayin

Last edited: Apr 27, 2021
    3bolt79 and CB91710 like this.
  20. Jimi Lightning

Jimi Lightning Most Honored Senior Member

Welcome and good on you to ask first before buying. Lots of threads here where members are trying to identify such thing after the fact.

Rock on, you’ll find your gitbox in good time.

Travis2021 likes this.