1. Enter to Win one of two Strats we are giving away! An American Pro II Strat HSS and a Squier Classic Vibe Strat. To see the prizes and rules: https://www.strat-talk.com/pages/2020_Fundraiser_giveaway/ To enter: https://www.strat-talk.com/account/upgrades To enter, simply upgrade to silver (1 entry), gold (2 entries), platinum (5 entries), or double platinum supporting membership (10 entries). November 5th is the last day to enter!

Searching info about 93-94 MIJ Strat

Discussion in 'Stratocaster Discussion Forum' started by joglee, Oct 15, 2020.

Tags:
  1. joglee

joglee New Member!

Hi,
    This is my first post here.
    I just bougth a MIJ Strat, N-series, so 93-94. A Fantastic guitar! I Love the neck. Smooth and fast. Removing the neck revealed "ST-71" stamped in. Trying to find some info in the japanese catalogues from that time, but no luck so far... It's painted black but I'm not shure if it's the original color.
    All info appreciated.
    Thanks!

2. Guitarmageddon

Guitarmageddon Dr. Stratster

Please show us some photos!! Welcome to Strat Talk! Do you mean ST-72?? or is it really a 71....ST-71 if it's genuine and original means a '1971 reissue' style guitar.....which is a lot more rare than the ST-72....they did come in black....

Thrup'ny Bit likes this.
  3. balston11

balston11 Senior Stratmaster Silver Member

If it's a 71 it will have one string tree a 72 will have 2

Thrup'ny Bit likes this.
  4. joglee

joglee New Member!

Thanks for your replies!
    I got the guitar today and have left it to a guitar technichan so the only pictures I've got are these taken by the seller.
    As you can see, It's not in mint condition, but for me, it doesn't matter as long as it plays well. And it does, indeed! The metal parts has been painted in gold, the pickguard is painted in black, the saddle is not original and i think also one mike is replaced.

st71_2.png st71_3.png st71_1.png

FrieAsABird likes this.
  5. Guitarmageddon

Guitarmageddon Dr. Stratster

This is weird....an ST-71 would have a Bullet truss rod nut at the headstock end, and 1 string tree. You have 1 string tree, but the neck is vintage style with a walnut plug. This is different than most....it could be some strange anomaly.....

Value for these is about in the $600 US range....

6. joglee

joglee New Member!

Sorry for my bad English, as it's not my native language. I ment that the bridge has been replaced, not the saddle...

7. joglee

joglee New Member!

Yes, at first I thought it was a ST68, but they don't have the skunk stripe on the back of the neck. When was the bullet nut introduced, 70 or 71?

8. balston11

I can't find that there was an ST71 before about 2008 can someone point me to one this early
    @Guitarmageddon maybe.

9. Malurkey

Malurkey Senior Stratmaster

Nice! Welcome! :thumb:

joglee likes this.
  10. Thrup'ny Bit

Thrup'ny Bit Grand Master Curmudgeon

The only ST-71s I remember were natural and had the bullet truss rod adjuster. They were pretty rare. It's got me baffled too.

joglee and Guitarmageddon like this.
  11. rafasounds

rafasounds Senior Stratmaster

I don't know about this specific MIJ " reissue", but in 1971 Fender Strats went back to the one piece maple neck with skunk stripe without bullet (basically a 50s neck with big headstock) for a short period, before the bullet. I don't know if Fender Japan did a similar thing to be true to these very rare 1971 guitars. @SpeedKing might know.

Last edited: Oct 16, 2020 at 8:12 AM
  12. joglee

joglee New Member!

This is so exciting! Thanks you all for sharing your thoughts about this guitar. Too bad I didn't took a photo of the neck model number 'cause there was also the letter "D" above "ST-71"-stamp. What could that be? Certainly not the nut width. Feels more like an A or B size.

Just wondering...

13. SpeedKing

SpeedKing Senior Stratmaster

I've never seen one before.

It certainly is based on that rarest of beasts Rafa describes above. I'm currently building one of my own from bits because I've never seen or heard of a reissue of one (although current CS '69 necks being sold by The Stratosphere now have, although historically inaccurate for '69, the one piece design with skunk and plug ... but also a modern 9.5 radius. I had to get Musikraft to make mine exactly vintage correct).

Blackmore played one in 3tsb. The so called 'Machine Head' strat.. which is what I'm replicating.

Anyway I don't think it could be anything else. The 12th dot markers though too wide apart for a real '71 are right for an early Japanese reissue I think... to a point. It's usually noticeable on early Squires (SQs etc) but that's the 80's. Is that unusual though by '93-'94?

I can't really believe looking at it that it isn't exactly what it appears.... A very rare Japanese reissue we've never seen before. At least the neck (if the decal is a fake it at least is a really really good one, although aren't the Japanese Fenders usually slightly oversized? On my ST72 from '05 it's positively a little larger than that on my MIM cs70s. This appears the wrong correct size but then has the correct wrong 'with synchronised tremolo' text and placement along with no pat. nos. for the Japanese decal)

I tried to think of anything else it could have come off to be re-decaled but again can't think of anything suitable so I have to think it's a real deal MIJ rarity.

I like it ....

_DSC0021.jpg

_DSC0002.jpg

Last edited: Oct 18, 2020 at 7:50 AM
    rafasounds and joglee like this.
  14. joglee

joglee New Member!

Thanks you SpeedKing for your very interesting thoughts an knowlege. Nice guitar you're building!

I spoke to the seller and he will try to find the original bridge and the replaced mike. It might be a good idea to turn this guitar back to original. One thing thou, the black painted pickguard must have been replaced by a previous owner. Where the 4 screws are missing there is no drilled hole in the body(?!?), wich make me wonder if it's the original body… Is there some kind of model number stamped in the body aswell?

15. joglee

joglee New Member!

Bad news I'm afraid…or?

It's not the original body. Taken the pickguard off revealed 8 drilled holes. I'm not an expert but from what I could find out, searching the Internet, 8 holes was before mid -59. Also some "cheap" Squire Strats comes with an eight hole single ply. Question is if it's possible to determine what body mine is?

body.jpeg

16. balston11

So it looks like a partscaster but that doesn't explain why there is an ST71 neck about, with the right only 1 string tree wrong truss rod adjustment and 14 years or so before there are any records of an ST71 Fender Japan bowls us a googly once more.