Seeking Wisdom

Discussion in 'Stratocaster Discussion Forum' started by WhiteWabbit, Apr 14, 2021.

1. WhiteWabbit

WhiteWabbit Senior Stratmaster

Seeking advice from the wise sages of strat talk. I currently have a 2014 Jimmie Vaughan Olympic white strat that I like but I have been looking for a Made in Japan strat in Olympic white that I might love. I found a model that is a ST57-70 and just wondered if this price is ok or absurd? Also, would this be considered a downgrade from my Jimmie Vaughan? I’m sure it’s all subjective but this made in Japan is a 1989 my birth year strat so it beckons to me.haha
    https://reverb.com/ca/item/39751829-fender-st57-stratocaster-japan-1989-fender-tex-mex-pickups

2. WhiteWabbit

Nothing?

3. circles

circles Resident Pinball Enthusiast

4. Cerb

Cerb Anti conformist reformist

With non original pickups that price is pretty steep.

@balston11 should be able to tell what it's worth.

5. Antstrat

Antstrat Most Honored Senior Member

No experience with Japan strats but the Jimmy Vaughn is damn nice.

Are you thinking of replacing the JV or keeping it?

Stratafied likes this.
  6. fishermike

fishermike Strat-Talker

I think you lost a lot of people with "seeking wisdom". :whistling:

Personally, I'd be inclined to pass just based on the fact that the seller has zero feedback, tells you straight up that it might take a long time to get to you, and is based in Moscow. It's nice, but not nice enough to deal with the potential hassle, IMO.

As for pricing, I'll leave that to the "wise sages". I know there's a bit of a MIJ following around here.

mikej89 likes this.
  7. WhiteWabbit

I was thinking of replacing it if this one became “the one” I’m a one strat guy, I’m simple. No complaints with the Jimmie Vaughan.

8. WhiteWabbit

Yea the MIJ following here made me interested in these. I was also alarmed by the no feedback being a new seller.

9. Stratafied

Stratafied Most Honored Senior Member

Good looking guitar, a little pricey.

mikej89 and WhiteWabbit like this.
  10. WhiteWabbit

Yea seems a bit pricey to me too and it seems like he won’t take less than 1500 Canadian.

Cerb likes this.
  11. GuitarGeni

GuitarGeni Strat-Talk Member

I'd be wary of anything coming from the Russian Federation. Price is pretty steep. I'd pass.

Slyy, jrbirdman and tery like this.
  12. tery

tery Dr. Stratster

Yeah - you don't have to go to Russia to buy a guitar .

13. mikej89

mikej89 Senior Stratmaster

That seems like a joke price, especially with just a gig bag. You can buy an '82-84 JV for just a tad more than that. My 2010 American Standard Oly in like-new condition was only $900 with factory molded case and candy. That was at a music store, too.

14. Antstrat

Antstrat Most Honored Senior Member

New JV’s are around $900-ish new so you’re looking at $600-700 tops for yours. The Japan Strat better be EXTREMELY better for $1500.

If it were me, and I was looking for a new Strat I’d either go for a used American standard or for $1500 go for the American Pro.

WhiteWabbit likes this.
  15. LTigh

LTigh Strat-Talker

Couple of things:

1. They're selling it from Russia. Not something I'd risk dropping ducats on. MAYBE they're legit. MAYBE.

2. fleaBay and Reverb are possibly the worst places to score used MIJ guitars, particularly '90s and sometimes late '80s Japanese Fenders.

Case in point, three most recent MIJ Fender acquisitions:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

From top-to-bottom: '94 ST62-65AS, Later 90s (O-serials span 1997-2000) ST62-70TX, and 2020 '60s Hybrid Stratocaster.

All were at or under $500 each on YJ, and depending on the proxy buying service you're using, with shipping the cost (in my case) will be less than $600. Then again, I actively look for stuff and am willing to camp listings, drop ducats at a good deal (after due diligence) and wake up at 3am (around 9pm in GLORIOUS NIPPON) to drop a few bids and I am also willing to walk away if it becomes a E-peen-measuring contest (shell pink in particular is one of those colors people are willing to go to war over in the Japanese market).

If you're not willing to do that sort of thing, you'll at least easily find a "buy it now" listing for FAR less than what these Russians are asking.

tl;dr: Wouldn't risk any listing from MOTHER RUSSIA, but hey, it's your shekels/rubles/ducats. Also, used MIJ guitars are cheapest in their country of origin.

WhiteWabbit likes this.
  16. myredstrat

myredstrat Senior Stratmaster

17. LTigh

LTigh Strat-Talker

Also, wanted to add that Tex-Mex pickups weren't stock on MIJ Fenders during that time period, and Texas SPECIALS were stock on the Japanese Fenders with the "TX" suffix from the 90s onwards. So yeah, modded. Which would normally bring the price DOWN on an 80s MIJ Fender, especially a not-entry-level ST57-70.

WhiteWabbit likes this.
  18. Landshark2021

Landshark2021 Strat-Talker

Ever see those Russian edition cd's of Led Zep or Sabbath? Pure garbage with terribly printed inserts and covers. Besides Vodka, I can't think of anything I would want from Russia, and I don't even like Vodka!

19. T-Rey

T-Rey Strat-O-Master Silver Member

I've been seeing a lot of Russian guitars on eBay for the last few days. I wondered about how legit they were with the sudden influx. I'd be leary for sure.

20. T-Rey

T-Rey Strat-O-Master Silver Member

Could be brokers like in Japan I guess. ¯\(°_o)/¯