Self-Split 6V6 Amp

Discussion in 'DIY Amp Forum' started by 93-Strat, Aug 26, 2021.

1. 93-Strat

93-Strat Strat-O-Master

Found a good deal on a 1x12" version of a Vibro Champ cabinet and had a few ideas and ran with them. There is no dedicated phase splitter, the 6v6s are self inverting. You only need one preamp tube and can still have push-pull operation without a splitting transformer. Early Gibsonette amps used this style of push-pull. This version is hum cancelling like typical push pull and operates in class A only. There is lower power output due to a number of things, but is equivalent to a parallel single ended amp without the need for a huge single ended transformer. There is also more harmonic content than typical push pull due to slight imbalance but it is a very sweet sounding amp.

IMG_1047.JPG IMG_1043.JPG IMG_1041.JPG

fos1, Packrat, Triple Jim and 4 others like this.
  2. Sarnodude

Sarnodude Most Honored Senior Member

Cool project! Is this circuit published anywhere?

93-Strat likes this.
  3. 93-Strat

93-Strat Strat-O-Master

No but I will publish my schematic.

Attached Files:

Triple Jim, fos1 and Sarnodude like this.
  4. 93-Strat

93-Strat Strat-O-Master

Just an update, I did an amplitude check of each half of the push pull output and the they are balanced before clipping so.... most things I've heard about self split are false. The balance is good and they do cancel plate ripple. They do however only operate in class A so a bit softer, mellower and lower wattage than class AB with dedicated phase inverter.

Triple Jim and fos1 like this.