Sell my MIM strats for a MIA

Discussion in 'Stratocaster Discussion Forum' started by crowtee, Dec 22, 2020.

Sell 4 guitars for 1 MIA strat

1. Yes

35.9%
  2. No

54.4%
  3. Other explain

9.7%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. Tone Deaf

Tone Deaf Most Honored Senior Member

I don’t own a MIM.
    Admittedly, I have 2 MIA Strats.

But in reading SO MANY posts about MIM Strats at Strat-Talk over the years,
    I cannot see anything wrong with them - They are a solid “buy”.

If you want to spend a few $ to upgrade certain components- that’s easy.
    Based on the difference in costs between MIA & MIM - smart money says buy the Mexican Strat,

Gregg_owen likes this.
  2. macoshark

macoshark Senior Stratmaster

You might think about getting an USA used Strat. If you know what years your looking for and the changes that were made to those years. Deals show up here and there which would give you time to off some of your gear. The benefit of Craigs is you can play it a bit before you buy.

3. Hudman_1

Hudman_1 Strat-O-Master

I recommend upgrading your wire harness, pots and switches on your MIM Strats and keep them.

Gregg_owen likes this.
  4. Mr. Lumbergh

Mr. Lumbergh needs you to go ahead and come in on Sunday, too.

Nothing at all wrong with MIM. I like having different guitars to do different things, I wouldn't trade my MIM collection just to have one MIA.

5. SKYDOG4570

SKYDOG4570 Strat-Talker Gold Supporting Member Silver Member

I doubt that I would do it, at present I am selling two Am Pro's and a skeletonized Am Standard, keeping my MIM's (most of them). Unless the MIA('s) is/are something specifically needed and are a really niche guitar(s) that fill a specific need, I wouldn't give it a second thought. The Squier's I'm not a fan.

6. Cerb

Cerb Anti conformist reformist

Only if you found a particular guitar that you fell in love with.

circles likes this.
  7. nickmsmith

nickmsmith Dr. Stratster

prepare for some possible buyer's remorse. Sometimes the more expensive guitar is not the one you like best. My most expensive guitars mostly sit in their cases, and my guitars worth $400 bucks get all kinds of play time.

Gregg_owen and SKYDOG4570 like this.
  8. BuddyHollywood

BuddyHollywood Strat-O-Master

Yes do it. You are keeping your favorite David Gilmour one already. It sounds like the others are expendable to you. I feel it's better to have quality over quantity. Still, make sure you bond with whichever MIA Fender Strat you find. You want it to be a keeper.

9. David Garner

David Garner Senior Stratmaster

Depends on the MIMs and the MIA in question.

circles likes this.
  10. Bob the builder

Bob the builder Most Honored Senior Member

Get rid of even 1 I like for 1 I haven't played?
    No.
    Find a gem? Maybe.

11. Hash McBrown

Hash McBrown Senior Stratmaster

I'd do it. I have an MIM that looks really nice hanging on the wall but I'll grab the MIA to play everytime.

12. systolsys

systolsys Strat-O-Master

Depends what you want.

To me, a guitar starts with the neck... and you can put a USA neck on an MIM. Cheaper than buying a whole guitar, and gives you combinations you can't otherwise get. (There are no factory Strats with an unadorned 12-16" radius ebony fretboard with three pickups... that neck only comes on the Jim Root Strat).

But then both my MIM's were Deluxe models to begin with (A Lone Star and a Roadhouse) so the electronics were already above average.

Body I'm less worried about. Unless you have a transparent finish and desperately want a 1 or 2 piece to show off the grain, Mex bodies are as good as anything else. I do love the contoured neck heel.. but that's not exclusive to USA.

Having said that, there's a 2017 Elite I have my eye on... so YMMV.

13. jvin248

jvin248 Senior Stratmaster

MIM and MIA have the same harness parts under the hood, last I checked.
    You might be thinking of the Squiers which do benefit from the harness parts upgrades.

OP: post pictures of your existing guitars.

My thought would be to get to two MIMs and sell the rest, and not get the MIA. Perhaps tweak the two MIMs you keep. One I'd do what I have on mine: SSS with reverse/Hendrix bridge pickup pickguard slot and an Armstrong Blender mod to blend between SSS and HSH. The Second one have a couple of loaded pickguards with a menagerie of different pickup styles (P90, Tele, goldfoils, lipstick, Jaguar, etc).

Then seriously consider getting a MIM Player Series Telecaster.

14. heltershelton

heltershelton Vivamus libero Vivamus duris Silver Member

if i was going to do something like that, i would sell enough to get the money to build a warmoth strat exactly the way i wanted it.
    i stopped caring a long time ago what it says on the headstock.
    i cant say enough good things about warmoth products.

Impulsive guppy likes this.
  15. LTigh

LTigh Strat-Talker

It really depends. First question being what is it exactly are the MIM/mod-casters NOT doing for you that you think a MIA strat would?

Once you figure out what you think you're missing, ask yourself if a MIA strat would be able to deliver?

It's a question only you can answer for yourself.

For example, I've found that my "missing something" is the way a MIA or MIJ Fender will physically resonate in a way that very few MIM Fenders do-- maybe it's the way they're put together or the particular combination of materials, but I tend to like the way you feel the vibrations in the base of your skull or your bones, but that's just what I'm looking for (I'll let the science spergs argue about how much of that translates to the signal chain, I'm just talking about the physical response), and I've owned/sold LOTS of MIM Fenders (mostly Classic Players, Deluxe, and the occasional FSR).

They're great instruments and chances are I'll probably acquire more in the future, but right now I've found myself reaching for the MIA or MIJ (and even MII and MIC) more than the MIM based on my particular criteria, so off they go to people who'll reach for them more than I will. Or maybe I'm just not clicking with the MIM Fenders I've wound up with over the years (so far)-- my buddy owns an older MIM Standard Strat that's bloody magical (and has every feature I steer away from-- 21 frets, maple fretboard, ceramic pups), and he refuses to part with it (with good reason).

Anyway, enough rambling-- what are you looking for in a Stratocaster, and why is it missing from what you already have?

Gregg_owen likes this.
  16. WelhavenT

WelhavenT Strat-O-Master

Been through a lot of high-end guitars the last years, and it while it’s been fun, they’re just guitars. No «magic» will happen to your playing. My MiM is just as fun to play as my Cutlass. A proper set-up is however very important, I’ll rather play a «cheap» guitar with a good set-up, than an expensive w/poor set-up.

17. Zak99b5

Zak99b5 Strat-Talk Member

I may be in the minority, but I have 4 different guitars—two nice, two cheap. Gibson SG 1970s reissue from 2014 I believe (bought used), E4 serial American Standard strat that I got new in 88, an Epiphone plus-top pro LP, and a Squire CV 50s tele. I use all of them, but the strat a little less frequently than the rest.
    I wouldn’t want 4 of any of these. So I’d sell three decent strats to buy one nice one.

18. RockinSG

RockinSG New Member!

Tough question. I bought an American Strat (SSS) off of Reverb, which I was told was brand new, and when I got it, it had an LSR roller nut on it. After researching it and calling Fender about it, I found that LSR nuts came on HSS configured Strats (I know the Jeff Beck signature has them too) and the serial number indicated it was supposed to be a different color and HSS configuration. I really liked the Strat and it played great but it was the principle of the thing. The guy from Fender asked me "Do you like how it plays and does it have mojo)?" It had all of that but it was the principle at this point so I returned it. I ended up getting an American Deluxe SSS. It plays great. I do still think about that other Strat though. I guess, if it feels good, do it!

19. MissingSomethin

MissingSomethin Strat-Talker

100% do it.

There is a feeling of satisfaction owning the top of the line.
    Like its the end of the line. Now, you just need to play it.

Quality over quantity
    And less clutter.

J4ME5 likes this.
  20. chicago slim

chicago slim Senior Stratmaster

I play my modified Mexican Strats more than my American or Squier Classic Vibe Strats. YMMV.