Seller maybe lying about model?

paulshark

New Member!
Jun 16, 2021
anaheim, california
I was looking at some strats on facebook and ran across one that seems kinda cool. The seller claims its an American Standerd strat, but the serial number makes me think otherwise
188185634_10225919930567159_97049530884789103_n.jpg

If I remember correctly, only early MIK fenders had no prefix. Could someone verify this for me?

Ruscio

Senior Stratmaster
Silver Member
Nov 14, 2016
Pennsylvania
Welcome to ST! I entered your serial # into a couple of different Fender serial number lookups I found online, and both suggest it's made in Korea between 1988-1996. There are folks here who know a lot more about serial numbers than I do, and I'm sure we'll get to learn from them shortly.

paulshark

New Member!
Jun 16, 2021
anaheim, california
For a short time around 2009/10, Fender USA did indeed use serial numbers in that format, before reverting tothe format beginning with 'US'.
actually after doing some very light research, the short time american fenders didn't have a prefix, they had 7 numbers after the "10"(mine has 6). is it possible that there was a misprint? it does italicize the 10 so that's my theory. like the other person said, if not then its probably korean.

NTC

Strat-Talk Member
May 11, 2006
The Planet Plano (TX)
Body looks right - and it has the correct two string trees.

My Lone Star had a bad neck that was replaced in the warranty period. The serial number on it now did not come up the one time I tried to look it up.

Ebidis

Providing the world with flat bends since 1985
Nov 14, 2013
Alabama
actually after doing some very light research, the short time american fenders didn't have a prefix, they had 7 numbers after the "10"(mine has 6). is it possible that there was a misprint? it does italicize the 10 so that's my theory. like the other person said, if not then its probably korean.
Definitely not Korean. That is 100% a legit 2010 American Standard Strat.

John C

Most Honored Senior Member
Silver Member
Jul 17, 2012
Kansas City
Yes, it's a 2010 American Standard; a previous owner must have added the second string tree.

Yes, that is a typo on Fender's website that hasn't been corrected - even though they've had 11 years or so to fix it! That format was only used during the first quarter of 2010, and it is a "10" followed by 6 digits - not 7 digits. It seems like you have to add another 0 to the number to get these "10" numbers to show up in Fender's online lookups, and they show up as MIK on most of the other serial number lookup sites out there.