Selling a Stratocaster or Telecaster question.

Discussion in 'Stratocaster Discussion Forum' started by Digiplay, Mar 11, 2020.

1. Digiplay

Digiplay Strat-Talker

I take it you mean that it doesn't increase what the buyer will pay over the guitar that doesn't have locking tuners?

3bolt79 likes this.
  2. henderman

henderman Dr. Stratster

you might not get anything extra for the upgrade, i know that does not seem logical but keep in mind, what you think is an upgrade someone else might not, plus the part is now used and you devalued the guitar by modifing it, even if it is an upgrade for you.

there are many buyers who will pay fair money for guitars with upgraded and original parts included but "getting extra" for used non original parts is gonna be more like what the used parts are worth.

and the guitar is still modified and not worth as much as an original one even if you have the parts!

3. Hydr0

Hydr0 Senior Stratmaster

you'd be better off selling the guitar with its original tuners, then selling the locking tuners separately

s5tuart likes this.
  4. BuddyHollywood

BuddyHollywood Strat-O-Master

I have locking tuners on my Strat because the neck I bought for it already had them installed and it wasn't a deal breaker. However, I prefer regular tuners. I wrap the strings well around the post and I am confident they will hold tune. Sometimes the locking tuner wheel comes loose in the back. That doesn't happen with regular tuners.

So to answer your question, If there were identical guitars I would pick the one with regular tuners over locking tuners. I don't consider them an upgrade.

5. jvin248

jvin248 Senior Stratmaster

What I see is people trying to sell a $1000 guitar, worth $500 stock, with $100 'upgrades', that they then price at $600. The real number should start at say $550 (half the guitar and half the parts added). But there were original parts that must have been sold off. They are worth say $30 on the used market. So now the guitar should be listed at $520 to cover the parts shenanigans.

Most player buyers want a stock guitar they can add their own crazy mods to. They don't like having to remove someone else's 'great idea'.

For example, whenever I see 'Seymour Duncan upgraded pickups!' that guitar is worth less to me because I find nearly all SDs too muddy so I'll be forced to swap those out for other pickups.

6. 57Strat777

57Strat777 Strat-O-Master

The number of people willing to buy a unmodified guitar far outnumbers the people willing to buy a modified guitar. Statistically speaking, by diminishing the number of prospective buyers for your product, means it will take longer to sell and/or you'll have to take less money.

7. RobbieAG

RobbieAG Strat-Talk Member

If you're lucky, you'll get up to 50% of the cost of the upgrade back IF the buyer happens to want that upgrade AND you have the original parts to go with the guitar. I think it would reduce your base of buyers as well, so you're much better off selling it in original condition.

8. Ronkirn

Ronkirn Most Honored Senior Member

No.. it's much like home improvements... some can add value, others do not, however, the additions that do not actually add value, do make the home, or guitar in this case, more attractive on the retail market...'

r

9. Will Lefeurve

Will Lefeurve Most Honored Senior Member

It would put me off. I dislike the damn things..

10. Buzzgrowl

Buzzgrowl Strat-Talker

Usually no. Most people like stock if buying 2nd hand.

11. Hanson

Hanson Senior Stratmaster

Nor, do I. I’ve got them, but don’t even use them much of the time.

Will Lefeurve likes this.
  12. John C

John C Most Honored Senior Member Silver Member

Having done this before - adding the Fender Deluxe Locking Tuners to an American Standard Strat - I can tell you that it doesn't increase the price. I did have someone try to lowball me by $150 on the guitar, but I sold it for the going rate for American Standards around here. Actually since that particular one was an FSR color I did get a little more than I would have for a black/white/sunburst one, but that was for the color, not the tuners. I could see installing locking tuners that were not "direct fit" - meaning you had to do a little drilling to make them fit - causing a reduction in price.

Prior to selling the guitar I had simply sold the original non-locking tuners to recoup a few dollars toward the locking tuners.

Will Lefeurve likes this.
  13. StratDlx

StratDlx Strat-Talk Member

I have the impression that every mod you do will actually decrease the value of the guitar to potential buyers.

14. wrvond

wrvond Senior Stratmaster

deleted

15. Deafsoundguy

Deafsoundguy CERTIFIED HACK Silver Member

Along those same lines, I'm tossing in my 2 cents worth because I was in the market to buy a vintage Strat this week and my thoughts were exactly what Stratified said. I wanted a STOCK walnut Elite and I was ONLY considering a completely original one. And so that's what I found and that's what I bought. I really wanted the original nut lock dealie-bobber but this one didn't have it stock so I waived that parameter. Not that I would have ever used it, but if it came with it I would have wanted it. So there you go!

Stratafied likes this.
  16. Stratafied

Stratafied Most Honored Senior Member

Congratulations on the new strat !!

Deafsoundguy likes this.
  17. CB91710

CB91710 No GAS shortage here Double Platinum Supporting Member

It may or may not make any difference in the selling price.
    IF it adds, it will not add enough to pay for the parts.
    Absolute best case, you aren't going to recover more than 10-20% of the cost of add-on parts when you sell.
    Some buyers think it's worth less... I'm not one of those buyers, however, when I swap parts, I generally do keep the originals in the event that I sell... at least for a few years.
    On a 15 year old guitar, it's not going to make any difference at all.
    On a 60 year old guitar, the fact that it's not original dramatically cuts into the value.

18. Morf2540

Morf2540 Senior Stratmaster

NO. The cost of the upgrade would be far more than the additional value on the used market.

CB91710 likes this.