Selling new high end guitars?

Discussion in 'Sidewinders Bar & Grille' started by amstratnut, Sep 24, 2021.

1. amstratnut

amstratnut Peace thru Music.

Sometimes I see people selling a brand new high end guitar that supposedly is the best guitar evaar. I don't get it. Buy a 5k Gibson R anything and then immediately sell?

I suppose you get a guitar and it just isn't for you. Then you take a billion pics and tell everyone how great it is!

:thumbd::thumbd::thumbd:

2. Sarnodude

Sarnodude Most Honored Senior Member

Life happens..you buy an R8...two months later you blow a transmission on the minivan. Goodbye R8.

revtime, Stonetone, Danny D and 10 others like this.
  3. abnormaltoy

abnormaltoy Mouth draggin' knuckle breather

When I see something like that I wonder if they're not associated with the store in some manner or perhaps have made a deal to buy at wholesale + from a dealer, so that a dealer can purchase more new guitars and perhaps get to a different price threshold from the manufacturer. Plus if the dealer sells them to a third party there's no warranty hassles or inventory taxes.

BTW, I'd love a 5K Gibson R anything...with the holidays coming up, I'm just planting the seed.

Stonetone, Danny D, s5tuart and 5 others like this.
  4. Dadocaster

Dadocaster Dr. Stratster

I assume thet threw a brick through a music shop wondow grabbed the guitar and need money for meth.

Danny D, Groovey, guitarface and 2 others like this.
  5. CigBurn

CigBurn Total Hack

Not to derail, but do they even make minivans anymore?

Danny D and abnormaltoy like this.
  6. abnormaltoy

abnormaltoy Mouth draggin' knuckle breather

I think they do, but due to the stigma of minivanism, they may have changed the name to something more testosterone friendly.

Danny D, s5tuart and CigBurn like this.
  7. Supa Necta

Supa Necta Strat-Talker

Yeah the emporium over at TGP seems to have lots of newer stuff quickly. I figure there’s some behind the scenes grey market stuff going on. Not complaining as it’s good to know where to go when I need high end stuff.

Danny D, amstratnut and abnormaltoy like this.
  8. Dadocaster

Dadocaster Dr. Stratster

One music store I worked in was small and often only one person working. We had teen repeat customers that hung around that we got to know well. One day one of them told us that a guy at school was taking orders for what effects pedals to steal from us.

Danny D likes this.
  9. nickmsmith

nickmsmith Dr. Stratster

Honda, Toyota, and a few others do. Odysseys and Siennas sell like hot cakes. Chevy and Ford moved out of that game.

bgmacaw likes this.
  10. tanta07

tanta07 Senior Stratmaster

I suspect once things go back to normal post-pandemic, there's going to be a LOT of primo gear to be had on the used market. Lots of guys bought top shelf stuff to learn guitar, nooodled a couple of times, and then put it up for sale once they go back to the office.

11. guitarface

guitarface Most Honored Senior Member

I assume that they’re broke-ass musicians and/or drug addicts.

Danny D likes this.
  12. Chipss36

Chipss36 Strat-O-Master

I would bet a lot of pandemic rock stars start to soon sell off that temporary midlife crisis custom shops, or what ever else the internet told them to start on that day…

I think about 90% of the people who want to learn to play, quit relatively quick.

Danny D, jbylake and FireFunkRevival like this.
  13. CalicoSkies

CalicoSkies Most Honored Senior Member

Speaking of this and vehicles, it reminds me of a story I just heard in the news the other day where a guy stole a car from a dealership and then tried to trade that car in for another car at the same dealership he stole it from. Needless to say, he was caught..

fos1 likes this.
  14. simoncroft

simoncroft Still playing. Still learning! Silver Member

All great posts! The 'unexpected financial problem' is the scenario I've experienced from people I've sold to. I remember selling a guy a really nice Orville by Gibson 335. OK, it wasn't super star money but it was about $1,200, and this was maybe 20 years ago. A week later, he's back to me to say he's had this massive tax bill, and do I know a quick way to shift the 335? I gave him the phone number of my accountant and suggested he put the guitar back on eBay. Stuff happens.

I met someone who worked for Yamaha-Kemble over here. He was in a bar in a particularly rough part of town, when a guy tried to sell him a car radio. Trouble was, that radio had just been taken out of the car belonging to the guy who told me the story. And where was it parked? Just behind the very same bar!

CalicoSkies likes this.
  15. Intune

Intune Senior Stratmaster

I never understood it either. I’ve seen many high end guitars even before the pandemic leave shops. Then not even a week later posted up for the same or slightly higher. Why wouldn’t I just go buy at the store with warranty? It doesn’t make any sense.

fos1 likes this.
  16. jvin248

jvin248 Senior Stratmaster

Just like my son asked me today where all the station wagons went ..
    .. Same place minivans disappeared to:

"Sport Utility Vehicles"

Less than 5% of SUVs ever go off pavement, and that seems to include country dirt roads; as they "might get scratches" (and naturally relic, lol).

We also talked about how fuel prices will be increasing (economy, hyperinflation) and every time fuel stays above $4/gallon (some regions pop higher) in the past that $100+ it costs to fill the tank up once or twice a week causes people to rethink what they commute with. SUVs and trucks for sale on every corner and small cars selling at premiums. A couple of the vehicle manufacturers have since said they dropped all car development and focused on SUVs and Trucks. We'll see how well that works out.

abnormaltoy likes this.
  17. CB91710

CB91710 No GAS shortage here Double Platinum Supporting Member

Are you talking about Trogly?
    That's his business. He's a professional flipper, and apparently makes enough to be able to buy stuff totaling $50k+ (yet can't afford a decent polo shirt)
    No matter how many times he says "I've always wanted one of these"... he's really saying "I've always wanted to flip one of these but haven't been able to buy one cheap enough to make a profit."

soulman969, Stonetone, Ebidis and 2 others like this.
  18. Exhead

Exhead Strat-Tinkerer Gold Supporting Member

F

For me I just bought some higher end stuff locally from a few older fellas who have recently been diagnosed with Parkinsons and Degenerative bone disease. Got pretty lucky IMO.

Last edited: Sep 24, 2021
  19. Stormy Monday

Stormy Monday Blooze daddy Silver Member

Heck, I don't even sell my low end guitars....

Sixstringer107 and of this world like this.
  20. heltershelton

heltershelton Vivamus libero Vivamus duris

i imagine that sometimes someone will buy a high end guitar thinking it will improve their playing.
    then when they still suck, they realize that lots of practice is the only way.
    then they feel stupid for paying that much for a guitar so they sell it.