selling on Craigslist

Discussion in 'Sidewinders Bar & Grille' started by macoshark, Oct 12, 2020.

1. space

space Strat-O-Master

Theres alot of peeps that let there listings languish on FB marketplace
    It seems removing the ad is cumbersome for many sellers
    I dont see the harm in responding with a simple Y/N
    again my .02c

3bolt79 and Morf2540 like this.
  2. macoshark

macoshark Senior Stratmaster

Good points. When e-mail responses include lower offers it's never worked out for me. I have offered lower offers when I have to drive a long distance to check out the guitar. I do try and make the offer in the nicest way. I was tempted to hold a guitar I had on Craigs but decided I would only hold it on the day the buyer was going to drive up to buy. Ended up it sold before then.

3bolt79 and radd like this.
  3. soulman969

soulman969 Senior Stratmaster

And I would agree that's ridiculous to the other extreme.

The range most used gear sells in is between 60%-80% of current MAP born out by the transaction histories on Reverb and sold listings on Ebay. The more popular and the better it's condition the higher the price and it can ship now.

One factor that has helped to boost used gear pricing and sales is that dealers are no longer routinely offering 10%-15% deals every other month or so.

There are still significant discounts available on certain gear that isn't selling well but I haven't seen any of them offering deep discounts on popular stuff that's been tough to keep in stock. Lot's of gear has been on back order.

But used gear has always been a very elastic market. Once inventories have been restocked if dealers begin offering deeper discounts again prices for even the best used gear will be forced to drop. IMHO COVID19 created a somewhat temporary sellers market. That won't last forever.

AznCaster and 3bolt79 like this.
  4. CalicoSkies

CalicoSkies Most Honored Senior Member Gold Supporting Member

One time I had sold an item on Craigslist, and the buyer said he was on his way, about a 45 minute drive from me. Another guy called and I explained a buyer was on his way, but the 2nd guy kept pushing and said he'd offer me more money. I waited for the first guy, who showed up and bought it. I would have felt bad if the first buyer drove all that way and I had sold it to someone else.

3bolt79 and JamesE like this.
  5. radd

radd Strat-O-Master

I never sell to someone if someone is on their way. When I mentioned holding an item it has more to do with, let’s say it’s Monday and the person says I can be there Thursday. In those cases I tell them to call me Thursday and see if I still have it.

6. soulman969

If we take the proper approach to selling which is to say we treat it as any other sales professional would we will answer any question in a professional manner provided we choose to answer at all. I would admit that some simply require no answer.

Taking the high road costs us nothing and will usually disarm any jerk who only wants to engage in a pissing match and waste our time. He's not our buyer but by staying professional we take away any possibility of also being a jerk and we have written evidence of it in our reply.

I recently listed a lightweight loaded Squier Tele body in which I had completely upgraded the electronics to US build specs simply because I had virtually everything I needed to do it already. The cost to buy all of the components including a new chrome control plate/knobs is roughly $90.

My target buyer is one looking for a surf green body that with his own choice of neck would yield a 7-7 1/2 lb guitar and I've saved them the trouble of replacing very poor quality import parts which will most likely fail eventually as some of mine have. The stock pickups I just included without cost since someone may want to replace those as well.

My first response was this.

"What'd ya' do with the CHINESE neck".

The listing clearly indicates it's a Squier body and in this case not even Chinese but Indonesian as if either would matter at all since I'm not selling the neck and don't even have it.

So I told him the truth. It went on a US built body because the owner preferred the look and feel of the Squier neck to the US maple neck on his own guitar and gave me the body in exchange for mounting the new neck dressing and polishing the frets and setting up his guitar for him with that new neck. He's a good friend of mine and it was that simple.

I have my own opinions about necks and bodies but rather than debate that with someone whose question was phrased in a way that was meant to rile me up or get a negative response I just answered his question and he went away as I knew he would because he wasn't a buyer. All in all it took less than five minutes to do it and effectively shut him down.

macoshark likes this.
  7. CadillacBob

CadillacBob Strat-Talk Member Silver Member

I have sold many items on CL and for the most part have had no problems. I always list: reply with phone #, no low ballers, cash only and local pick up only. Also in a sentence by its self “if the item is up its still available”. This usually gets rid of about 75% of the scammers and dumb questions. It also gives me an out if pplz ask because I just don’t reply.

As most have said I never hold items because you never know when pplz change their minds. I’m always very nice in my replies because I don’t like to get on pplz bad side. ie if someone text me and say they can’t make or I found another I just reply “sure no problem, cheers” I always think of it as an item is not sold until I have cash in hand. The main thing I always try and do is be fair on price and do my research on the internet for used prices, that way my items always sell for very close to what I’m asking, always keeping in mind pplz might make an offer for a few bucks less. Anything I sell I’m never in a rush to sell.

These things have made my experience selling on CL pretty good. I have met a lot of nice musicians and they are always willing to talk about what equipment they have or what mods they have done - like most of you guys on the forums. ;)

8. soulman969

I agree with this approach as well.

CL buyers should understand that CL is somewhat of an informal gear bazaar and that he who shows up first with the cash get the gear. The idea of asking someone to preserve the right to buy days later doesn't work on CL or in any other marketplace we may choose to sell in.

Retailers deal with this issue with a lay away program asking the buyer for a significant deposit to hold an item for a brief period of time. They should expect no less on CL if asking a seller to hold something 'til they get paid or sell and item they have up for sale. Most CL buyers will not do this so it's not very workable.

It's essentially a non-refundable option to buy at an agreed upon price within a certain number of days much like stock options or real estate options work. A seller needs to be compensated for the risk he's taking that the buyer will not complete the deal as promised and many of us have had that happen.

Earlier this year I had an amp listed. A suspect said he was working that day but would be off the next. We set a time for 1:00 PM for him to come by. About noon I texted him to confirm and got a response saying he'd stopped by GC that morning and bought a different amp. This kind of thing happens pretty often and had I not texted him to confirm I believe he'd simply have been a no show.

While I'd love to work around peoples schedules they have to realize my objective is to sell my gear and if they aren't in a position to act now I can't take the risk of turning away another buyer who is. Those are CL rules.

Last edited: Oct 15, 2020
  9. bhemmis

bhemmis New Member!

10. bhemmis

bhemmis New Member!

The last couple years I'm having better luck selling and buying on FaceBook Marketplace.

11. The Tortoise

The Tortoise Strat-Talk Member

Selling on Craigslist is tough these days. I can remember when I would post stuff and it would literally sell within an hour, cash buyer, no haggling or dumb questions.
    These days you have to wonder if anybody even sees your post, because all the people selling cars put so many irrelevant keywords in their listings that you get 50 car listings even if you type, "jalepeno bagel".
    And most of the people who do find your ad are just looking for something to flip for a profit. "Will you take like, 1/3 the price so I can flip this thing on Ebay?"
    One of the worst examples of this was a Squire Cyclone I saw one time. It was selling for cheap, like $50. Somebody bought it really fast, and then it was back up in a couple days for $300! "Rare Squire Cyclone".
    My god, Jim.

12. brashboy

brashboy Strat-Talk Member

You were smart not to tell him that guitars have for years been factory-outfitted with unremovable, undetectable NSA tracking devices.

13. brashboy

brashboy Strat-Talk Member

That's just business - they aren't lying and only fool people too lazy to do a little basic research. Not many sellers put in the bottom-line price they have to have. The oldest rule is buyer beware.

Way different from lying, misrepresenting or shading the truth.

14. Nadnitram

Nadnitram Most Honored Senior Member

I have bought items listed on LetGo, FB Marketplace, and CL. I have never had a single ounce of luck selling anywhere but CL.

It's somewhat reassuring to see that it's not just my market, that sellers in every market have to deal with trolls, scammers, and low-ballers.

Do you suppose they share their strategies and war-stories online just as we do? Wait -- do you think they have their own forum? It's probably called A**hat Talk or DBag Talk or something like that.