Selling on Reverb.com: Your "shop"

CalicoSkies

Most Honored Senior Member
Gold Supporting Member
Jun 10, 2013
Beaverton, OR, USA
Yesterday, while putting a piece of gear for sale on Reverb.com, I noticed Reverb has a part of your user profile where you can edit details about your "shop". For sellers, is Reverb oriented toward people who own a musical instrument store? I thought Reverb was for anyone to buy & sell musical instruments.

KillingTone

Strat-O-Master
Platinum Supporting Member
Mar 13, 2017
Yardley, PA USA
Yesterday, while putting a piece of gear for sale on Reverb.com, I noticed Reverb has a part of your user profile where you can edit details about your "shop". For sellers, is Reverb oriented toward people who own a musical instrument store? I thought Reverb was for anyone to buy & sell musical instruments.
I have sold about 25 items on Reverb but I created a “shop”. If you DO have a real shop you can identify it as your Reverb shop as well but for individuals like me, I think it just gives a type of “professionalism” to your selling presence. That may work on first time buyers but I think anyone who shops at Reverb repeatedly understands that the “shop” is usually little more than an expanded avatar. The one functional thing about a shop is that it allows you to initiate “sales”, which are likely just price reductions in order to get your listing(s) sold. They are defined at a “shop” level. Plus, buyers can Follow a particular shop to keep informed about their gear for sale, which may or may not be useful.

crankmeister

Jul 9, 2020
Republic of Gilead
My take is that it's their excuse for having buyers pay sales tax on used gear bought from regular folks.

I think it's silly.

Believer7713

The Pink Bunnyman Frankenstein
Silver Member
Dec 27, 2016
KC
My take is that it's their excuse for having buyers pay sales tax on used gear bought from regular folks.

I think it's silly.
The "shop" thing has been there for much much longer than the sales tax mandate. I started selling on Reverb about 12 years ago and there was no taxes but we all had "shops".
I haven't sold or bought there in several years now because I just haven't gassed enough to do so. What I have now is what I use.

Ongo Gablogian

Strat-Talker
Feb 18, 2019
Chicago, IL
Long-time Reverb seller here. You are taking the word "shop' too literally. If anything Reverb was/is geared toward private sellers and music stores having a Reverb account came later.

CalicoSkies

Gold Supporting Member
Jun 10, 2013
Beaverton, OR, USA
Long-time Reverb seller here. You are taking the word "shop' too literally. If anything Reverb was/is geared toward private sellers and music stores having a Reverb account came later.
What made me really wonder about it is I was updating some of my details on Reverb, and I was unable to save because I didn't put an address for my shop. I don't want to include my home address on Reverb..

crankmeister

Jul 9, 2020
Republic of Gilead
The "shop" thing has been there for much much longer than the sales tax mandate. I started selling on Reverb about 12 years ago and there was no taxes but we all had "shops".
I haven't sold or bought there in several years now because I just haven't gassed enough to do so. What I have now is what I use.
I see.

Well, the sales tax thing makes no sense.

Hopefully at least schools get a few more dollars out of it.

Ongo Gablogian

Strat-Talker
Feb 18, 2019
Chicago, IL
What made me really wonder about it is I was updating some of my details on Reverb, and I was unable to save because I didn't put an address for my shop. I don't want to include my home address on Reverb..
You don't need to put your home address, you just need a return address. Obviously, if you are going to sell and ship things or buy things and have them shipped to you, you need somewhere for them to be sent or returned to. Although, I must say people with weird addresses on reverb are the worst...only time I've ever had problems as a seller.

Baelzebub

Dr. Stratster
Nov 1, 2019
State of Disbelief

Reverb shops were (are?) a feature whereby you were/are given your own url under Reverb as a separate shop.

This allowed small sellers to avoid collecting sales tax as Reverb did not automatically do so for those with a "shop".

From what I understand Reverb discontinued this when Etsy purchased them, as they said it was "too much trouble keeping up the sites".

Frankly I think that's BS and it's one of the reasons I won't use Reverb any more, the others being lousy service/response times when there's a problem and the hiking of fees from 3% to 5% with no appreciable value added.

Intune

Senior Stratmaster
Jan 14, 2021
Edmonton, Alberta
I’ll never sell anything on reverb again. Most new sellers may not ever see a payment until the buyer received the item and is happy. The happy part is what burned me.

I sold a SD custom shop 51 pbass stacked humbucker. It cost me $270 or so special order. I loved it but sold the bass but removed that pickup.

Sold it on reverb instantly for $150. I couldn’t collect the money until the seller was happy with the purchase. Well he wasn’t. He told me he didn’t really like it so he’s gonna return it?

He told reverb it was defective, it didn’t fit it or wasn’t as described, they wouldn’t really say. Pretty cool. Since it was my first sale it was on me to pay the return. Never again with flaky buyers these days.