Semi retirement!

Discussion in 'Sidewinders Bar & Grille' started by Jeepocaster, Nov 21, 2021.

1. of this world

of this world Senior Stratmaster

man, that's a rough way to go... glad you pulled through all of that!

Tone Deaf likes this.
  2. of this world

every wildlife rehabilitator i've ever heard of who retired died four days later.

3. Mr Jagsquire

Mr Jagsquire Strat-Talker

Me too; well the last year really, since my older wife took early retirement. Spoke to a financial guy recently and I could stop next spring/as soon as some inheritance comes through, though even with the last of the mortgage cleared it would still be tight. Got to wait another 11 years before I can claim my UK State pension, but have some others I can draw on, plus an ex-military one.

I fancy topping up my income working on guitars, doing work other than frets (all the stuff I find 'basic' but I know others sometimes just want to pay to get done and get on with playing). Plus our paid gigs might start covering more than just my fuel to get to and from them.

Currently just on a week off using up some holiday before the end of year and it's so nice not looking at emails and dealing with all the usual day to day stuff that has become typical. Can't wait for it to be my last day with them. :)

4. 2010cb

2010cb Strat-Talker Silver Member

Congrats!

6 years, 3 months, 17 days to semi-retirement. But who’s counting?

Thereafter I and/or my wife will work to cover health insurance. I currently pay $25k/yr with a high deductible for our family plan.

For those of us in the US without health insurance provided to us as a part of a retirement (e.g., working for some form of government / municipality), health insurance and health care in general is a significant financial burden.

5. SoulSurfer

SoulSurfer Strat-O-Master

DON'T DO IT!

I retired 2 years ago, thinking the same. Already had a great retirement plan as SHWIMBO (SHe Whom I Must Be Obeying) is a financial planner and made sure we didn't end up homeless. Covid really offed up our plans. I had it all figured out - Italy one month a year; Guadeloupe in the winter; NYC in the fall, etc.

I am so freaking bored now. As a I.T. professional, I miss the challenges of problem solving.

6. Bob Spumoni

Bob Spumoni Senior Stratmaster

I retired and started collecting my pension then worked for another five years part time, doing only the parts of my job I enjoyed (department head, teaching introductory philosophy). I was lucky to be able to do that. I was lucky too to have a line of work which I genuinely enjoyed. I still teach writing gratis in an adult ed setting at a local college. I don't get the appeal of 'relaxation." I never have.

7. Dadocaster

Dadocaster Dr. Stratster

A common problem these days but I have a hard time believing 25k a year for health insurance.

8. albala

albala Dr. Stratster

He's in NY and he's paying for a family.

$2100/month ($25k/year) is on the low side (cause of the high deductible plan)

of this world and 2010cb like this.
  9. 2010cb

I just verified as I’ve got the enrollment package right here: $2,088.96/month for a family. That’s $25k+. And my deductible is $8k in network, $16k out of network. I’ve been paying in that range for years.

And to be clear, at does not include dental or vision.

10. Dadocaster

Dadocaster Dr. Stratster

That's ridiculous and shocking. Of course cost of living generally is high where you are.

11. 2010cb

The plan is to semi-retire to a lower cost of living area. If health insurance is lower in those areas, that would be dandy. I didn’t realize that the premiums were that much lower elsewhere.

12. albala

albala Dr. Stratster

What part of NY are you in?

13. 2010cb

I work in NYC and live in Westchester County.

14. albala

albala Dr. Stratster

I moved to SC from Stamford 51 weeks ago.

Best move ever!

I don't miss a thing about the northeast except indian food and Stew Leonards.

It's amazing how much cheaper life is down here.

I'm looking at my electric bill. It's $102. In Stamford, typical November electric bill would be $300 ($400 when my wife had access to the thermostat)

I'm the same age as you (or will be in Dec) and I tell people I'm practicing for retirement.

15. 2010cb

Congrats and that is great to hear!

The Carolinas are in the lead for semi-retirement. As best I can tell from all I’ve read, overall cost of living should be 70-80% of what it is up here (my property / school taxes are $21k). And if you can reduce your draw on retirement accounts by 20%, that is obviously very significant.

As I tell my wife, if we don’t have a target, it is difficult to plan. Thus, the plan for semi-retirement when I hit 55.

albala likes this.
  16. Dadocaster

Dadocaster Dr. Stratster

Stop with the numbers....way too scary. I am in the Dallas area and pay maybe a fifth of what you do in local taxes.

17. Mike H

Mike H Strat-Talker Gold Supporting Member

Congratulations! I love absolutely everything about being retired except the age I had to be to do it.

18. 2010cb

I’m just trying to help ya’ll feel better about what you pay! And it’s why I feel the need to check out of here as soon as my youngest is out of HS.

19. Scott Baxendale

Scott Baxendale Senior Stratmaster Gold Supporting Member

I’m pushing 70 and still working my butt off. Not for too much longer, hopefully.

Stormy Monday likes this.
  20. of this world

impossible to like that... but as a person with eyes and teeth i do commiserate.

2010cb likes this.