Semi retirement!

Discussion in 'Sidewinders Bar & Grille' started by Jeepocaster, Nov 21, 2021.

1. Mr Jagsquire

Mr Jagsquire Strat-Talker

Wow...regarding the health insurance costs. :eek:

I plan to start semi-retirement on less than that amount per month total. That's with the mortgage cleared due to some inheritance (not that much left anyway to be honest). I'll lose my company private health care, but can use the NHS instead, being UK based: Most of my work has been on NHS hospital sites for the last 16 years, so I've contributed in tax and in work. I'll lose my company car and phone too, but happy to go down to one car in the household as we can manage, or I'm a 5 minute walk from the London train line/local buses.

Just back from visiting a retired friend; she has so many interests I don't think she would have time to work now. :D We had to leave as she was off out to an Italian lesson as one example, plus all of her musical interested (the reason I know her in the first place). Turns out she had paid someone to fix a minor electrical issue on her bass, which is exactly the sort of job I hope to be taking on, though 150 mile round trip isn't very viable for a business at my end of the market I guess. Does show that it's a service people would pay me for and as she said; something I enjoy.

I'd like to think I'm the same in terms of plenty of things to keep me interested and occupied the rest of the time too. I can't imagine being bored due to lack of challenges as there are plenty of projects I plan to work on as well as the guitar repair business. I'd like to play out even more than I currently do too, so even if I couldn't completely fund my semi retirement from it, I'd like to think there would be enough gigs to help top my income up a bit.

What I won't miss are the constant emails/messages even when I'm on holiday that implicitly demand that I respond despite the fact that I'm off, even though someone else could answer the 'urgent' question. I won't encourage them though, so they get dealt with when I'm back, even if I've accidentally read the first few lines from the main screen on my phone.

2. 2010cb

2010cb Strat-Talker Silver Member

Ha - thanks. There should be a commiserate / empathize / sympathize / “I feel you” button.

of this world likes this.