Join Strat-Talk Today

Sentamentality over other equipment?

Discussion in 'Sidewinders Bar & Grille' started by Jerseystratfiend, Jan 4, 2020.

1. Jerseystratfiend

Jerseystratfiend Strat-Talker

Does anyone have the same level of sentamentality over an amp or other equipment as they do over their number one?

I have a few amps and if anything bad happens to one of them it is nothing more than an irritation or an inconvenience or whatever. But if anything happened to Jezebel, omfg, I'd die. Haha. Or do I just need to get a grip?

20191224_172753.jpg

2. TangerineDog

TangerineDog Senior Stratmaster

Well, most of my guitars have dings but my amp is pristine...
    And that‘s because I try my darnedest to keep it out of harms way.
    Also I wouldn’t exactly think about ever replacing it.

So yeah, me, I love my amp a lot.

3. RoyC

RoyC Strat-O-Master

I don't even take the cover off my amp, even when I'm using it.
    I switch it on/off through the cover.
    The lead is permanently plugged in.
    Not so much to protect it, I'm just too damn idle to take it off. :)

4. Thrup'ny Bit

Thrup'ny Bit is no longer legal tender Strat-Talk Supporter

No you wouldn't die. You might still be swearing about people being more careful, 37 years after they broke the neck off your guitar, but at the time you glue it up and make the best of it. You may still spit rusty bolts at the scumbag lowlife that stole your guitar 25 years later, but at the time, you buy a replacement and move on.

So all in all, get a grip. But be careful with your gear.

5. Stratoman10

Stratoman10 Dr. Stratster Strat-Talk Supporter

I like my amps, no doubt, but I get more wrapped up in the guitars. You hold them, you feel them, it's a more physical sensation. Speaking of which, I'm about to restring one in a few minutes

Stratafied and Jerseystratfiend like this.
  6. Guy Named Sue

Guy Named Sue All roads lead to P90 Strat-Talk Supporter

Jezebel?

Jerseystratfiend likes this.
  7. albala

albala Most Honored Senior Member Strat-Talk Supporter

I like all of my gear equally

8. Miotch

Miotch Senior Stratmaster

I like all my equipment but nothing I wouldn’t sell if offered enough money. The key question is what is enough money ?

henderman and Jerseystratfiend like this.
  9. Electgumbo

Electgumbo Not Of This Earth Strat-Talk Supporter

This is the amp and guitar I bought when I was 18 in 1975. I’m very sentimental about them both. The guitar is the one to be saved first if the house is on fire. Goldie is MY guitar ... the others I just own. She is very uncollectable as a Mutt pre-CBS refin body with 68’ parts. I gave her a new heart a while back with those Hand Winded Josephina Campos Fat-50’s. We have done a 1000 gigs together and the same for the Music Man amp. I had it’s circuit rebuild last year and it’s fully operational. When I play these two it’s the only time I sound like myself... E1FC4BFD-922E-4FEC-B01A-8E74FF1B4AFF.jpeg

Last edited: Jan 4, 2020
    dueducs, Grux, Stratafied and 11 others like this.
  10. dirocyn

dirocyn Senior Stratmaster

For a piece of equipment I care about, about 3 times what I think a reasonable replacement ought to cost. I have a car that I really love, I would not sell it for a reasonable price. It's worth maybe$3000. If someone offered 9 grand I'd do it. I'd hate to be rid of it, I'd cry.. but I would still sign the title. And then go looking for another.

Miotch, RoyC and Jerseystratfiend like this.
  11. Stormy Monday

Stormy Monday Dr. Stratster Strat-Talk Supporter

20200104_100202.jpg I have an ancient Hofner 172 hanging on the wall behind me. I bought this when I was in seventh grade. Not totally functional but the only one I am sentimental about.

12. Namelyguitar

Namelyguitar Most Honored Senior Member Strat-Talk Supporter

Since shopping the best deals for amps, several are part of the landscape, now. (2 Vox Pathfinder 15R amps, and Roland Bass Cube 30). Old, familiar guitar straps are here to stay, too. Here's my #1, I know, :whistling: it's a Telecaster.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 4, 2020
  13. Jerseystratfiend

What kind of car is she?

14. RoyC

RoyC Strat-O-Master

I have a 2009 Audi A6 Avant that I purchased new, it is now eleven years old and has 41,000 on the clock.
    It is worth more to me than any one would pay for it.

Attached Files:

15. Shaytan

Shaytan Strat-Talk Member

Well, I can definitely see myself in there, regarding my very first guitar, a Squier SE. My parents offered me the starter pack for my 16th birthday back in 2013 and it was the guitar that made me fall in love with the instrument.

It followed me through my teenage years, accompanied me through all the moments you'd expect from those phases of one's life, and largely contributed for my growing passion for music.

The pack's amp is long gone and for good, but the guitar remained for being a solid and quality instrument regarding the neck and body. Being essentially a beginner's instrument, though, the poor tone and impossibility of proper setup due to the bridge being faulty led me to a throughout mod project two years ago, in order to be a solid instrument on par with my better instruments I could still love to play.

I was blown away by the final result, it brought new life into it, created new memories and made me love the instrument even more.

IMG_20190109_170955.jpg

Overall, all my gear has fond memories attached to them or else I wouldn't keep them around. From my classical which has been traveling the country with me going to different shows and festivals with the college music group, to my new Jackson which has everything to become my next fond project, with the plans to have it hand-painted by my painter artist best friend of 7 years. All in all, gear pieces are "just" tools, but we definitely create bonds with them, and hopefully will be lucky enough to be able to keep them around.

Miotch and Jerseystratfiend like this.
  16. mechanic

mechanic Strat-Talker

Yes. My Behringer 4x12 cabinet.
    It was a birthday present from my son and it came at a time I really needed it but had no way to pay for it.
    It's never going anywhere.

Sent from my SM-J320W8 using Tapatalk

Miotch and Jerseystratfiend like this.
  17. dirocyn

1986 Toyota MR2 with 1996 JDM 20v blacktop engine. I did the swap myself, including building the wiring harness. Custom exhaust. It's got about 150 horses--in a tiny lightweight two-seater--and is an absolute blast to drive. Has about 300k miles on it, I have had it since 2011.
    Strangely I don't have any recent photos of it in my phone or on my computer--this was taken after one of the times I put the car back on the road--probably right after the engine swap.

[​IMG]

Shaytan and Jerseystratfiend like this.
  18. Jerseystratfiend

That one of the old wedge-shaped ones? A lad I went to school with had a turquoisy-blue coloured one in his late teens.

19. dirocyn

Yep, the old wedge shape. Poor man's Ferrari. If it was a rich man's Ferrari, it would be a Ferrari.

20. Believer7713

Believer7713 The Modern Day Frankenstein Strat-Talk Supporter

I have a few guitars that are very sentimental to me.
    My first Strat, which my parents saved like crazy to get me when I was in college and we were dirt floor poor. It looks different now but is still the same guitar.
    [​IMG]
    My highly modified and upgraded Charvel Desolation DS-2. Its the guitar that I wrote and recorded Mrs. Believer's wedding theme/march with...Yeah, it stays.
    [​IMG]
    Then there's Olic. I got him as an add on to a Craigslist amp purchase. I used it to learn how to work on and setup guitars. It has also been highly modded too with an EMG 89,S/A,S/S set that has a 9v/18v switch, Buckethead style kill switch. I also replaced the standard 2 point bridge with a Jackson JT-6 that I modded with a solid copper big block and added a behind the nut string lock. It also has a Shadow humbucker ring tuner.
    The reason he is so special to me is because I started all of the work while recovering from one of the two worst of my 7 knee surgeries. It gave me something to do and keep my mind occupied while recovering for months on end and unable to walk. It now has the metal plate that was removed from my leg during the aforementioned surgery screwed to the bottom horn.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.