Setting to start on the New Posts page instead of Forums page?

CalicoSkies

Most Honored Senior Member
Gold Supporting Member
Jun 10, 2013
Beaverton, OR, USA
With the new Strat-Talk update, the site now loads to the list of Forums. I'm wondering if there's a setting to have it load on the New Posts page instead, like it did before? At least for those who remain logged in, I think it would be handy to have a profile setting to have the site load the New Posts page by default.

CalicoSkies

Gold Supporting Member
Jun 10, 2013
Beaverton, OR, USA
I realize I could bookmark it, but I'm used to just going to strat-talk.com and seeing the new posts. Also I'd have to bookmark it on every device I use..

Baelzebub

Dr. Stratster
Nov 1, 2019
State of Disbelief
They recently upgraded the forum software.. That's a fairly significant change.
Whether one thinks it rises to the level of significance or not, Staff has no say in it, really, and, I suspect, neither does the owner of the forum.

You have understand that these forums are not built from scratch by the owners, but are purchased off the shelf from vendors. So your argument is with the vendor of the software.

And the fact remains for every person that's bothered by it, there's at least one that doesn't care and one that like the new format. Attempting to please everyone is neither productive, nor possible.

CalicoSkies

Gold Supporting Member
Jun 10, 2013
Beaverton, OR, USA
Whether one thinks it rises to the level of significance or not, Staff has no say in it, really, and, I suspect, neither does the owner of the forum.

You have understand that these forums are not built from scratch by the owners, but are purchased off the shelf from vendors. So your argument is with the vendor of the software.

And the fact remains for every person that's bothered by it, there's at least one that doesn't care and one that like the new format. Attempting to please everyone is neither productive, nor possible.
Yes, I know they're using pre-packaged forum software. But this kind of software can often be customized. I've used one such software myself (vBulletin) for a time, and it had some admin options I could customize. I was just curious if the current software has an option that can be added for a default landing page when you load the site (and log in). But it sounds like it might not.

archetype

Senior Stratmaster
Silver Member
Nov 26, 2016
Western NY, USA
The simple mitigation is to customize things to suit yourself. Like...

Bookmarking New Posts in your browser, clicking that, and that's your home page. That's how I opened the site a minute ago.

Baelzebub

Dr. Stratster
Nov 1, 2019
State of Disbelief
Yes, I know they're using pre-packaged forum software. But this kind of software can often be customized. I've used one such software myself (vBulletin) for a time, and it had some admin options I could customize. I was just curious if the current software has an option that can be added for a default landing page when you load the site (and log in). But it sounds like it might not.
You do realize that that post alone, let alone this entire silly thread, used more clicks and keystrokes than it would have taken for you to take the initiative and solve the problem yourself, don't you?

Latest posts