Several cheaper guitars or 1 Custom Shop?

Discussion in 'Stratocaster Discussion Forum' started by dscottyg, Sep 28, 2021.

Which would you rather have for about $4,000?

1. 1 Custom Shop

85 vote(s)
    34.4%
  2. 2 Ultras or AOs

105 vote(s)
    42.5%
  3. 4 MIMs

40 vote(s)
    16.2%
  4. 10 Squiers

17 vote(s)
    6.9%
  1. Intune

Intune Senior Stratmaster

So there seems to be a 100 more posts and guys saying value and investment referring to guitars, I know right. No value in a custom shop or it’s not worth $4k. Okay cool. What does a ultra cost $2200? Now let’s see a value and investment comparison.

@PonyB used CS in 2000 for $1300. What do you think it’s worth today?

Now take a 2000 top dog American deluxe sold for what $1400 back then? What’s that worth today? The same or less? This would be equivalent to how a ultra Strat today would appreciate over time. Yeah it might hold its value but it’s not going up in value.

Using terms like value and investment with today’s production guitars and referring to just fender Strats, nothing else. The only thing I’ve seen over the last 20 years going up in value is the custom shop stuff and vintage reissues. I could be wrong and I’d actually like to be shown otherwise.

PonyB likes this.
  2. Jimbo99

Jimbo99 Strat-Talker

I went a different direction, 2 Squier Strats, an Epiphone LP, a Monoprice Tele & Ovation Applause AE128. I'm still under a single MIM Fender Player series for MSRP with 5 guitars, so I have the backup instruments or rather 5 of them that have a range of tone that's affordable.

3. Scott Baxendale

Scott Baxendale Senior Stratmaster Gold Supporting Member

Here is something to consider. When a major league professional band tours Europe they generally use backline gear so they don’t have to ship huge amounts of gear through customs. They will use rented amps, drums, speakers, etc. the one thing they almost never rent is their instruments. This fact proves that the instrument’s professional quality is much more important for a professional than which amp he is using.

fos1, budglo, Jimbo99 and 1 other person like this.
  4. aurelien

aurelien New Member!

Since i start playing guitare and heard about CS strat I promise myself that « one Day she will be mine ..yes one day » .. Now this dream come true .. i own a Cs 55 Strat Wide Fat 2TSB namm ltd and never regrets the money i Spend on it ..

Nevets and Intune like this.
  5. turfdoc

turfdoc Strat-Talker

For4K, I'll take one Am Std and a nice Guild USA acoustic.

6. budglo

budglo Strat-Talker

Thanks. I will keep my eyes more open. I would absolutely pay 4K for a vintage one .

7. Jimbo99

Jimbo99 Strat-Talker

Makes me wonder how many instruments are just manufacturer provided too ? We see so many videos where artists on tour end up playing a different color instrument of the same model ? The logistics of those moves, night to night, city to city. Makes no sense to drag around the gear like that. If the drums are rentals, the guitars might easily be rentals as well.

8. JunebugJones

JunebugJones Strat-Talk Member

I have four MIA Strats, a couple 1980s Peaveys (which are excellent guitars), a couple of Fender parts guitar projects for fun (MIA 80s Fender Lead, Squier), a 1960s Hagstrom Viking (bought it in 1978), and then a couple other inexpensive guitars (including an atomic pink sparkle Daisy Rock, with pink sparkle hard case).

While I'm definitely a Strat girl, I love having different sounds to choose from. My Strats are each configured a little differently. One is HH, one SSH, the other two SSS. One I've designated as my primary "gigging" guitar. When I gig out I usually bring 1-2 others, to handle songs in alt tunings. That way I don't have to mess with re-tuning a floating bridge during a show.

I do have to say, though, that I'm ready to start thinning the herd a bit. After many years of slowly collecting, I feel like I've finally got the set of guitars I love, and I'm ready to free up some space and simplify a bit.

Kester, Number1207 and 3bolt79 like this.
  9. Dik Ellis

Dik Ellis Strat-Talker

I have a CS NOS Nocaster. it's a very nice guitar, but for the money I could have gotten a '52 Hot Rod Tele, and an amp. But I really didn't need another amp. I was happy with my choice. My friend bought a Martin D-45, but she could have gotten a D-41 and a nice electric, for the same money. I am fortunate to have a lot of nice gear, not sure what your situation is. My advice is not to put all your eggs in one basket.

10. Scott Baxendale

Scott Baxendale Senior Stratmaster Gold Supporting Member

I guess you missed my point which was these artists always take their personal guitars and do not use backline guitars but DO us backline amps. No one uses backline guitars.

fos1 and Jimbo99 like this.
  11. budglo

budglo Strat-Talker

I do think the American vintage line has a lot to offer but If I’m going to skimp , I’ll skimp on an amp , but not my guitar. Not I the least.

dscottyg likes this.
  12. dscottyg

dscottyg Strat-O-Master

True. The prices do vary. I was thinking of Vinteras or Tom Morello signature, stuff like that. Wow you got a lot for a little.

dirocyn likes this.
  13. dscottyg

dscottyg Strat-O-Master

I’d love to find a CS for $2500.

soulman969 likes this.
  14. soulman969

soulman969 Most Honored Senior Member

dscottyg and Intune like this.
  15. dudafun

dudafun Strat-Talker

You need two...one cheap to set on fire and one that is your favorite because you have so many memories with it !

Attached Files:

16. Jimbo99

Jimbo99 Strat-Talker

But that's what I'm also saying too, if the artist has a series with say Fender, doesn't it make more sense to promote the artist series instrument & let a manufacturer handle the guitar logistics ? I'd look at it, if I had an artist series instrument as that was a promotional guitar and if I was playing, let's say Atlanta, GA for one weekend on the tour. Why would that instrument have to follow me around after leaving Atlanta, GA to go to New Orleans or anywhere else.I realize they may have done that back in the day, but it's 2021 and really unnecessary.

Scott Baxendale likes this.
  17. Number1207

Number1207 Strat-Talk Member

I've got a Viking Hagstrom which does for the '335' urge on occasion, and keep my trusty Tanglewood and Ibanez acoustics... But to be honest, since the arrival of No: 1207 my SSS built for me by Mr Ron Kirn, I hardly touch anything else. So, apart from a necessary decent acoustic guitar, I think I would opt for the CS to have the single favourite axe
    I just wouldn't go CS in the first place. Boutique builders provide the highest quality for less money. I have no interest in value retention or the rest of it. These things stay with me for decades, growing in stature and familiarity over time. Its great to have a guitar that, when you pick it up, has that 'favourite pair of shoes' feel. Comfortable, at ease, known..

dscottyg likes this.
  18. ravindave_3600

ravindave_3600 Strat-Talk Member

I've been buying guitars for 4 decades and have
    Good mim strat
    Good tele w 2 singles
    Good tele w hb neck + single
    Good Dot w '57s.
    So if I was starting out I'd go the "several good nexpensive ones" route.

However, now I'm looking for one great rest-of-my-life acoustic and I'll be paying CS money for it. I guess the answer to the OP's question is "Depends on your situation."

dscottyg and Bobbanson like this.
  19. MT Poteet

MT Poteet Strat-Talker

That's what I said. I sold 10 in the past year, then started buying again.

20. Bobbanson

Bobbanson New Member!

It’s individual of course.
    I have all I need except a vintage style tele. And I will build a warmoth roasted ash body and roasted maple neck with no finish at all.

My stuff after years of trying hundreds of guitars(my most used ones at the top):

1. Warmoth strat scalloped all roasted no finish. Can’t stop playing it! See attached image

2. Anderson Pro Am HS hardtail satin white with bare knuckle pickups. OMG!

3. Fender US 2004 HS olympic white

4. Fender/Squier SQ-83 Olympic white scalloped

5. Warmoth tele HH satin white direct mount

6. Ibanez RG from -98 trans black

7. Ibanez RG genesis white

Attached Files:

Last edited: Oct 2, 2021