Several cheaper guitars or 1 Custom Shop?

Discussion in 'Stratocaster Discussion Forum' started by dscottyg, Sep 28, 2021.

Which would you rather have for about $4,000?

1. 1 Custom Shop

85 vote(s)
    34.4%
  2. 2 Ultras or AOs

105 vote(s)
    42.5%
  3. 4 MIMs

40 vote(s)
    16.2%
  4. 10 Squiers

17 vote(s)
    6.9%
  1. Nate D

Nate D Most Honored Senior Member

That’s because you’re hand finished bodies are the coolest guitar bodies I’ve seen.

2. Dreamdancer

Dreamdancer Senior Stratmaster

Its ok mate..i just called your bluff and you folded...i can smell basic even from the stratosphere....:D

3. Intune

Intune Senior Stratmaster

Start a thread and post pics of your master built stuff maybe? Be sure to get pics of a few key points that guys miss in the partscasters world, here’s a list say for a Strat that I look for

-Proper fitment of the pickguard around the neck and bridge plate
    -nicely cut and rounded nut
    -the spring claw properly centred
    -tuners lined up correctly
    -screws countersunk and drilled straight for the pickguard
    -neck pocket fit
    -strap buttons in the proper location
    -vintage cloth wiring, quality pickups
    -2 piece alder or ash body
    -a professional setup

These things are all my key points I look for IF I’m going to compare a partscaster with a custom shop. Of coarse these things are not always perfect on a CS and does it make it worth 4K, no. If buying used at say $2k then hell yeah.

4. PonyB

PonyB Senior Stratmaster

Later, Ford Fiesta.

5. Antstrat

Antstrat Dr. Stratster

Why Why Why can't people just let others enjoy what they want without pointing out how dumb they are for owning what gives them pleasure?

Ebidis, Textele, ratdoc and 7 others like this.
  6. fos1

fos1 Senior Stratmaster Silver Member

I have played and looked at very expensive guitars in shops. So far, my Ultra is as good as I have seen and played. I can't imagine an improvement for me, even a custom shop. It the unlikely event that the frets wear out, I may go with SS. Even that is a maybe since I like the way it is so much now.

PonyB likes this.
  7. Dreamdancer

Well at least you made an effort although almost none of these things actually define a better instrument, they are mostly ocd stuff and those that can,they can very easily be replaced with high quality ones.

To cut a long story short....those guys dont build you a martin or a taylor so that we can appreciate all the finer details that sculpt the sound...a machine builds the guitar to specs and they just assemble it...is anything wrong with it?Not at all..but its not really custom either or even built by them to deserve such an elevated price tag....not even need for partcasters either....any mid priced level guitar has nothing misplaced or drilled in the wrong place.

The issues,especially in the after cnc era, are basically lousy frets or lousy fretjob,soft nut material or nut not dialed in,crappy gears,zinc crapware bridge, sharp and not rolled fretboard ends and chinese electronics of the lowest of qualities or all the above.

All them can be changed with parts ranging from quite good to stellar without even scratching the bank let alone breaking it and the guitar ll sound and play as good as anything...how does that happen?Its because there are really not serious...finer points that are beyond the players control when it comes to solid body electrics.

Finer points and luthier mastery though exist in acoustic guitar making...which is why you cant, no matter how hard you try, take a mid level acoustic and turn it into an amazing sounding martin..in fact you dont even have the audacity to try.....see thats how you know when things matter and when things are blown way out of proportion.....

In the acoustic world we actually have the F1 and the fiesta difference...in the electric world we usually have two fiestas but one of them usually has better rims or better sound system and things like that......hardly something you cant change or replace....

8. Bcorig

Bcorig Senior Stratmaster Gold Supporting Member

Ultra Strat and Ultra Tele, Blues Jr IV and Champ Tweed reissue.

fos1 likes this.
  9. bgmacaw

bgmacaw Strat-O-Master

Same here. I would be a lot more likely to drop $4k+ on something like a Matchless Chieftain or Bogner Shiva (along with a good cab and an Ox Box) than a CS Strat.

pn8830 likes this.
  10. Intune

Intune Senior Stratmaster

I do get what you’re saying, I’m not really disagreeing with you. It’s just you have a piss poor way of saying it or anything for that matter. No one was really arguing until you step on a high horse and stated your piece.

I get it, any electric guitar builder is not a luthier just a parts installer or oh cabinet builder. Can we please move on? Still I’d love to see your master build guitars though, maybe in another thread. Leave the OP to decide what he wants to spend HIS money on.

11. Dirtsquirrel

Dirtsquirrel Strat-Talker

Custom shop all day for me!

Intune likes this.
  12. Twin

Twin Strat-Talker

Custom shop for me too, though the AO is a very nice guitar. However, I’m not so sure you can spec a Team built FCS strat for $4000, closer to $5,000. You could buy one at Sweetwater for $4000, possibly less.

Intune and Dirtsquirrel like this.
  13. SKYDOG4570

SKYDOG4570 Strat-Talker

My side hustle had been buying GOOD cheap guitars, fixing them up, and flipping for a little profit, fun hobby.

I play an Ultra Stratocaster and an Ultra Jazzmaster and a 1960 AVRI Relic Stratocaster, I love all three equally. I have made improvements to all three. I also enjoy it a Wolf Pack of ASAT's that I am crazy about.

I hope you all find your own path and enjoy the journey, I follow no one; anywhere.

14. rolandson

rolandson Dr. Stratster

To quote a friend...
    Yes!

Antstrat likes this.
  15. LOSTVENTURE

LOSTVENTURE Senior Stratmaster

If you were to check out the "used" market, you might save enough to get what you want and still have a little cash left over. I have two very nice CS Strats and didn't pay more that $2000 for either one.

16. Jason D

Jason D Senior Stratmaster

1 American and a couple MIMs.

WelhavenT likes this.
  17. rolandson

rolandson Dr. Stratster

One MIJ, one Ibanez George Benson signature archtop and...
    One Roth IRA.

18. WelhavenT

WelhavenT Senior Stratmaster

Agree with every word. I will probably go EVO gold, though :)

19. jwag

jwag Strat-O-Master

I voted four MIM’s

I could live with Classic Series 60’s Strat’s and Tele’s and live happily ever after.

20. Dreamdancer

To whom i initially responded though mate?To the guys who just bought those guitars and enjoy them or to the guy who is smug and condescending about the rest... so the only one stepping on a high horse was him and a reality check was in order....it may not be what he wanted but its definitely what he needed.

You wanna move on cause you dont have a case...i gave it to you and what was your response(at least you had one)?More Alighned tuner holes,countersunk screws and vintage cloth wiring...if thats not reaching i dont really know what is... that was your chance to show how inherently superior the CS is and that what you came up with...

The guitars that i own are not master build cause they are built by me and iam not pretentious to call myself a master just cause i can count 10 times and cut once.Anyone can do that given enough time and space...thats the point..its not something to brag about cause its not that hard...if you wanna see my guitars search the DIY strat forum for them...they are strats of various types,bolt on,set ins and set throughs,they have big stainless steel frets,12 inch radius,scalloped fingerboards, aluminum nuts,Kinman or dimarzio pickups,hipshot or gotoh tuners etc etc etc just like the guitar in my photo.I dont even have a router or serious power tools and still made them...cause at that point i had time and patience...if that not proving that solid body electric guitar making isnt challenging luthiery i dont know what is....

So in the end you can do whatever you want with your money,spend them however you see fit and even make a big pile of them and burn them to the ground no one is trying to control you...but when you make claims about the SUPERIORITY of things that exist and we CAN COMPARE dont get mad that there actully someone that is willing to actually do the comparison and reach a different conclusion than you...