Join Strat-Talk Today

Seymour Duncan Amplifier?

Discussion in 'Amp Input - Normal or Bright' started by Believer7713, Aug 9, 2019.

1. Believer7713

Believer7713 Most Honored Senior Member Silver Member

I went to my local GC to see a buddy of mine that works there and show him my latest strat build per his request today. When I got in the store I saw this amp which really made me wish I had an extra $400 in my pocket. I've never seen one of these, but tgere is a lot of gear I haven't seen so no big surprise. Still, I am starting to cramp up with GAS.
    Does anyone have any info on what this thing is worth or what it can do? It was sounding really cool for sure.
    [​IMG]

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

3bolt79 likes this.
  2. Triple Jim

Triple Jim Senior Stratmaster

A lot of information about it popped up when I did a Google search for "Seymour Duncan Convertible". Apparently a 60 or 100w all-tube amp.

3bolt79 likes this.
  3. Seymour Duncan

Seymour Duncan Senior Stratmaster

They don't come up used often, but they were able to be modded with little tone modules, which modified the voicing of the amp.

3bolt79 and Believer7713 like this.
  4. TangerineDog

TangerineDog Senior Stratmaster

Well that's 50% of your answer right there ;)

3bolt79 and Believer7713 like this.
  5. JB74

JB74 Senior Stratmaster

I think Seymour is playing that amp in Twang Bang Kerang (equinox doco) back in the 80's? Jerry Donahue played one also in the doco.

Last edited: Aug 10, 2019
    Lester H likes this.
  6. 3bolt79

3bolt79 Senior Stratmaster

If I recall, Jeff Beck was in an advert for these back in the mid eighties. 400 bucks sounds like a deal to me if it works with no problems. The module changing feature seems pretty awesome.

Believer7713 likes this.
  7. ProSonicLive

ProSonicLive Senior Stratmaster

8. Lester H

Lester H Strat-Talker

Jerry Donahue is the only notable player I've ever known to be seen with one on the guitar side.

Greg Chaisson, bass player in Badlands (Jake E Lee) used their bass amps back in the early 90s.

3bolt79 likes this.
  9. lammie200

lammie200 Strat-O-Master

I had one. It worked great until it needed to be recapped. As old as they are now I would imagine that the one that the OP saw probably needs it. Also, it will be difficult to find the pre amp modules so you would have to stick with what is in it. The normal classic modules are very Mesa Boogie sounding IMHO. I had those and some others but I can’t recall what they were. I don’t know about the price. I think that I paid $500 for it when it was only a year old.

Last edited: Aug 12, 2019
    Believer7713 likes this.
  10. Believer7713

Believer7713 Most Honored Senior Member Silver Member

Thank you. I was really looking for personal experiences such as this. I had never heard of them before until 2 days ago but was really intrigued. A google search brought up quite a bit of info but that omly goes so far anymore.
    I can't afford it right now anyway so it will more than likely go to someone else since I don't want to trade any of my amps for it.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.