Join Strat-Talk Today

SG + Tele + Strat = ?? and New Router Day

Discussion in 'DIY Strat Forum' started by Bowmap, Mar 31, 2019.

1. Bowmap

Bowmap I nose a thang or two. Gold Member

I had retrieved my formerly good Porter Cable 890 dual base router from storage in my neighbor's barn. All set to start cutting the pickup pockets and neck pocket. Excited that nicer weather has finally arrived and I can open my wood working shop. Not really a wood working shop but a folding work table I setup outside. A real shop is in the works. But that is another story.

Well got the router back home and open the case. Not good. Not good at all. A few dozen stink bugs had taken up residence. Quickly place the cover back on the case and swiftly proceeded outside well away from the house. Opened the case a second time, got the stink bugs out of the way, and under the manual was a cantaloupe sized ball of threads. Then the smell hit me. It seems that some mice have done some home making in my router case and the plunge base. Corrosion on the spindle, collets, all over the plunge base, just a mess. A dozen bits lost. No mice though. Off to the dump this router will go.

Began my reading at several wood working sites and decided that the Bosch Combo 2 1/4 HP at $199 would be a good replacement. I had the little Colt router. It was off to the store and New Router Day. That was last weekend. I had read a few comments about the 890 in regards that they refuse to die. So, donning some gloves I pulled it out of the case and plugged it in. Son of gun. The motor runs fine. The motor will go into a Jess-Em router lift. The bases were a total loss though.

Today we had a short break in the rain for several hours so I was dying to get on with the rat tele build. Let's see what I have collected of the winter to put in this thing.

Body - I had this chunk of spalted maple already in a rough tele form.

GXT004-001 sm.jpg

Neck - Well not tele neck but what they heck, I have this nice 22 Fret, Bubinga strat neck.

GXT004-005 sm.jpg

Controls - Hmmm... Fender did not make these but why not. Yes I am gonna have a confused guitar since the control electronics started life in a Gibson SG.

GXT004-015 sm.jpg

Pickups - Ya know... I think I have the matching pickups from that SG. Oh some P90 goodness.

GXT004-012 sm.jpg

Dragged the neck and body outside went to work getting the bridge located. I just mark the holes for the bridge now and use two of the screw holes to hold the templates in place. I transferred fret locations on the neck to the template I had bought for a tele with P90s so I would be able to mark them in a partially done neck pocket. I did marked up my strat neck template as well. Carefully measuring from the nut to the bridge in both before marking as the tele template has, of course, a straight heel. With the tele template properly located, I finally got to use the new router! Such a pleasure to have some mass in a router instead of trying to do a guitar with a palm router. Nice and smooth and well controlled. The plunge is a little stiff but I suspect in time it will not be as stiff.

I got the pickup routes done.

GXT004-003 sm.jpg

Then I partially completed the neck pocket. I did not want to route to the heel. I stopped about an inch short of the heel. When it was about a 3/8 deep on the neck, I marked the frets location in pencil on the upper wall of the pocket. Switched templates to my strat template. Lined up the fret marks, put the neck in the template and took one last measurement before committing. Everything looked aligned and in position. I finished out the neck pocket.

GXT004-007 sm.jpg

Next, I have to do the control route. I have not decided to use rear mount controls or a control plate on the front. I am leaning towards front mount to help break up all that wood and add some interest. Too late today so maybe next weekend pending the honey do list and/or the garage/shop/office/studio (4 in 1) build. If I get a couple hours, I think I can get the control route done and then the bridge holes.

2. Believer7713

Believer7713 Most Honored Senior Member Silver Member

Looking really good. That's going to be one beautiful axe.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

Nate D, JurnyWannaBe and Bowmap like this.
  3. Bowmap

I hope it comes out half as good as the work you do. This is my 2nd or 3rd. I have put my thru-neck on hold and doing some simpler builds to gain some needed experience.

Last edited: Mar 31, 2019
    Bodean likes this.
  4. JurnyWannaBe

JurnyWannaBe Strat-Talker

I am impressed and more than just a little jelly. It’s gonna be interesting to see how this turns out.

Bowmap likes this.
  5. CB91710

CB91710 This is a Custom Title Gold Member Strat-Talk Supporter

That's going to be smokin' with the P90s!

ZlurkCorzDog and Bowmap like this.
  6. Bodean

Bodean Just A Simple Man Strat-Talk Supporter

I am disappointed we got no pics of the stink bug rat rod router.
    Oh yeah, nice work so far.

DJGranite, ZlurkCorzDog and Bowmap like this.
  7. Stratoman10

Stratoman10 Dr. Stratster Strat-Talk Supporter

Hurry up already. I gotta see this

Bowmap likes this.
  8. jvin248

jvin248 Senior Stratmaster

+1 Rat Rod Router is getting popular.

Good job on the Tele.

Bowmap likes this.
  9. Believer7713

I'm sure it will be every bit as good as anything I do. Maybe better. Right now I'm a little perturbed with myself on the one I'm doing now. I finally got the primer completely smooth and the first coat of color went on as smooth as a baby's backside then when I sprayed the candy color red it ran. Now I have to sand it all back down to primer and start over.
    Can I just say How much I hate working with candy paints now?... love how they look hate to work with them.

Bowmap likes this.
  10. Bowmap

Thanks for faith.

I have not worked much with paints. All my woodworking has been finishing clear. I would love to do one with that blue magic paint you did. But I would need to start basic. Sorry you doubled your work effort in finishing. I have had plenty of those days. The mis-steps I hate is having to make a piece over. I have ruined my share of wood.

11. Believer7713

You know, it may be frustrating but if it's the worst I do in a day then it's just frustrating and my day still isn't that bad. There are greater tragedies in the world. I'll still get it done on time for the auction it's being made for.

ZlurkCorzDog and Bowmap like this.
  12. Dumpster Chicken

Dumpster Chicken Strat-Talker

You're combining my three favorite guitars into one. Gotta luv it.

Bowmap and ZlurkCorzDog like this.
  13. ZlurkCorzDog

ZlurkCorzDog INMATE #7XX7XX7 Strat-Talk Supporter

Who says old Dawgs can't learn new tricks. ;)

Bowmap likes this.
  14. ZlurkCorzDog

Had it of been lacquer I reckon you could of just knocked the sag down & lightly sanded the rest & sprayed away, again. Try using thinner coats.

Bowmap likes this.
  15. Believer7713

It is laquer. Problem was the spray tip on the can jammed up and wouldn't spray right. Either wide open or nothing at all. No feathering whatsoever. Now, I'll just wait a couple days and sand it down to go at it again with a different can. Like I said it's candy red over metallic silver and it's in a very obvious area so the only way I will ever get it smooth is to start over.

MrNeutron and Bowmap like this.
  16. ZlurkCorzDog

I hate when that happens. When I was spraying more often & those nozzles acted silly I used to keep an old can top laying around with thinner in it to soak the offenders in in hopes of salvaging some.

Bowmap and Believer7713 like this.
  17. Bowmap

Just curious... Spray can, Air brush, Spray gun, or HVLP? I have an HVLP sprayer around here some place. Still in the box. Waiting for me to build my shop.

18. Believer7713

Right now I am using cans. My HVLP set up is in the box until it warms up a little more so I can spray with some more ventilation. It was too cold over the weekend. I can't wait for a chance to get my booth built so I can do more with the guns instead of using cans in the garage during the winter.

MrNeutron and ZlurkCorzDog like this.
  19. MrNeutron

MrNeutron Strat-Talker

If my lack of experience here is worth anything, can I still put out a "kind-of" opinion regarding rattle-cans and HVLP spraying stuff?

Practice all you can spraying on stuff that isn't really "that important" when learning the HVLP stuff. Make your mistakes on those types of projects.

I too got frustrated with paint spray can tips doing weird things. I thought the HVLP would solve a lot of the problems I had with cans, and that my finishes would all come out stellar. It kinda did solve the "sputtering spray-can tip" issue, but created a whole bunch of other new problems. The fleshy part of my rt.hand (Kinda what we use when we palm-mute our strings) at the base of my pinky rests on the "built-in" pressure regulator for the gun when I paint. I slowly, ever so gradually rotated this little knurled regulator knob shut as I went merrily along spraying a sawhorse for my wife's antique rental biz. And I got a texture just like the texture on sheetrock, just on a smaller scale. :( :confused: I have a filter and adjustable regulator (with a guage on it) hanging off the handle of the gun. I kept turning up the pressure on the one with the guage, not realizing I had the one for the gun choked down. Thinking something must be plugged, I disassembled the gun to clean it, and figured out the issue. Just one of those other "new problems" I mentioned. If I do my part, it does seem a lot more forgiving at getting better finishes on what I've shot, so far. The table top I did after fixing the regulator issue came out great! Haven't done a guitar yet......

Now, I don't say this to discourage anybody from trying any sort of spray setup. And I should probably say the same thing if you're trying a new brand of rattle can paint, or a Pre-Val unit, or whatever. Play with it first on stuff that doesn't matter if it turns out marginally. It's worth the effort to get good with these things. Lots of potential to do some cool stuff with a good spray setup, AND the knowledge/skill/experience to use it right.

Back on topic, however you decide to finish your build here, I bet it's gonna turn out killer, Bowmap. And I can most certainly relate to the stink bug and mouse issue. I put a portable green house inside my pole barn as a paint booth, in an effort to keep out Box Elder Bugs and Stink Bugs. Where I live in western Oregon they seem to be horrible, and the warming temps make the problem worse. I think I actually preferred painting in the colder temps, as I had fewer problems with bugs then. :rolleyes:

20. atheras

atheras Strat-Talker

really nice project......looking forward to see it finished....

Bowmap likes this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.