Join Strat-Talk Today

SG + Tele + Strat = ?? and New Router Day

Discussion in 'DIY Strat Forum' started by Bowmap, Mar 31, 2019.

1. Bowmap

Bowmap I nose a thang or two. Gold Member

The body was dry so out came the sander. Used 220 to take it back to wood and then 320 to smooth it. I could see the low viscosity epoxy in the worm holes. It did not fill them in as that was not the purpose but it did penetrate. So success there. I was going to post some pics of it sanded back down to wood but my iPhone camera went wonky. I had no red in the pictures so the white mat I am using came out blue. The guitar body looks weathered grey in those pics. So on to the 2nd coat. This time I am use a 30 minute cure epoxy. It is 90 outside and that made the work time fall to 15 minutes before becoming gummy. This epoxy requires a squeegee to apply as it is rather thick. But a little goes a long way. I only got the top and part of the side coated when it became too gummy to work. I will do the back in a few hours.

Bodean likes this.
  2. Bowmap

Oh heck... why not post the pic.

GXT004-054 sm.jpg

It looks likes the camera was trying to compensate for the bright sunlight in the background. I have a good DSLR but it was a last moment pic,

So here is the top with the 30 minute cure squeegeed on.

GXT004-055 sm.jpg

3. EAllen

EAllen Strat-Talker

Very nice! Loving the progress!

Eric

Bowmap likes this.
  4. Bowmap

I just turned it over, a few minutes ago, on the points (little red pyramids) and did the back. It is surprising how far 1oz mixed will go. I have a couple threads to sand out and a little bit of a mess at the neck were some of the worse tunnels are. I will probably hand sand those with a block. This epoxy finish is quick but it is tricky. Working fast and smooth seems to be the key along with just doing a surface at a time.

Believer7713 and Bodean like this.
  5. Bowmap

Nice thing about vacation... I get to work on my build.

Sanding the 2nd coat of epoxy smooth. Some spots back to 'bare' wood and other spots, not. A this point the thing is practically water proof. I put the neck in the pocket to get an idea of the colors together now that they have both darkened.

GXT004-057 sm.jpg GXT004-058 sm.jpg

The epoxy fill is coming along nicely. I have a few trouble areas that will need special attention, and I will try to use the epoxy just on those spots even though the thought of an epoxy top coat is interesting. I have some touch up to do with the router as the epoxy has filled in the edge of the shelf the control plate sits on and a spot on the neck pocket wall.

GXT004-062 sm.jpg

The decision now goes back to the original theme, this was an experiment in taking a ratty piece of wood to make a rat tele. While I can feel the termite tunnels, they are not uncomfortable and they are sealed. I am wondering to stay true to the theme and not fill them in all the way so they are absolutely smooth. I do not plan to have a gloss finish.

Last edited: May 20, 2019
    Bodean likes this.
  6. Bowmap

Went hunting yesterday. Wound up in the north west part of the state, over the Shenandoah river, past a bunch of stacked stone fences just outside of a little town called Berryville.

It was a good hunting trip, got a couple different species...

Walnut Crotch Slab 1 sm.jpg Wood Slab Maple 1 sm.jpg

My wife likes the maple on the right for shelves so I get to use the walnut for something... hmmm... I wonder what it will become?
    The maple was a 9ft piece but I had to have this 3 footer cut off to it would fit in my car.

7. Bowmap

Routed out the excess epoxy so that the control panel lies flush again. Decided to go on and start on the finish. I am putting a satin finish on this one. I am outside in my 'spray booth' applying the final finish. I was checking out how the 1st spraying did and looks good on the front with the right amount of sheen.

GXT004-065 sm.jpg

Then I notice that I forgot the clean the neck pocket and pup holes of excess. So I will have something more to do before the final coat.
    I start looking over the back side and I am up close inspecting. All looks good there too. If I can clean to excess without hurting the finish I could be done. So I decide to let it dry as long as I can. I will have to bring the piece in tonight. I step back to start putting things away and as I do so I notice that the back of the guitar is looking at me. Whoa!..I had not noticed that before. Am I crazy or does it look like a face on the back? Man... damn good beer.... wait I have had no beer yet. The Termite Tele now has another feature. I can't wait to get it together and hear it. Who's face is that or is it even a who?

GXT004-064 sm.jpg

CB91710 likes this.
  8. Believer7713

Believer7713 Most Honored Senior Member Silver Member

I think I would be very afraid to play that one.... pe ir might just be a tonal beast with that grizzly bear spirit trapped in it. If that's the case, then I would just have to get over my irrational fears.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

Bowmap likes this.
  9. Bowmap

Well the body and neck have the final finish on them. I had made a mistake on the neck with the method of applying the finish on the fret board. The method would have worked fine but the issue is with frets already installed. There was some build up of finish next to the frets. The narrow the fret spacing the worse the problem became. I was not happy with the result. It was not very noticeable but once spotted it was bothering me. So off came the finish by scrapping with a utility knife blade. Thanks to another thread on here recently I went the scrapping route to remove the finish off the fret board. Once it was cleaned off, I resprayed it and this time much better. Ah beginner mistakes.

GXT004-067 sm.jpg GXT004-066 sm.jpg

The nut is snug but not installed. It is a black TUSQ XL. It won't be installed until after the neck is mated to the body. The tuners are Fender locking staggered tuners.

The body shots will be posted at a later date as I want to get it prepped for wiring.
    So just for fun, a pick made from fossils.

Fossil Pick.jpg

Last edited: Jun 3, 2019
    CB91710 likes this.
  10. Bowmap

Rain, rain, rain, again. Driveway turning into a mud pit. But this project is ready for all inside work as there should be no more machining of wood and finish is applied. I cannot get to soldering yet as I am waiting on a third hand to be delivered. Soldering is difficult minus one of these inexpensive simple gizmos. So I decided to install the copper shielding.

I have adhesive backed copper foil from another unrelated project. I do not have conductive paint. Easy choice. Copper looks nicer IMO. I once again I am trying something new that I have not done before. In the land before the internet, I had tried my hand with gold leaf with mixed and expensive results. Gold leaf is very very thin. The copper foil I have is a lot thicker relatively speaking. I could not find the barnishing tool I had but I still had the one I used for dry transfer lettering. I glad I still have it as I will need it for the 5e3 project. They make laying the copper down a little easier to do. I first did the control space as it would be the hardest. Came up with a technique the seemed to work OK. Laid the copper in the bottom of the pickup routes.

GXT004-069 sm.jpg GXT004-071 sm.jpg

First step to doing the walls is figuring the length.

GXT004-072 sm.jpg

Then I reverse rolled the tape around a small diameter to make a small coil of foil.

GXT004-073 sm.jpg

I inserted the ball barnisher, peeled off some of the backing and positioned it on the wall of the pickup cavity. Applied a little force to stick the foil to the wall to start it. The bottom of the coil of copper is flush to the bottom of the cavity. This makes sure the foil going on the wall overlaps the foil on the bottom which is why the foil on the bottom extends up the wall a bit.

GXT004-074 sm.jpg

I slowly unrolled the coil along the wall until I had the entire wall covered. Note that as I unrolled the foil, the backing paper peeled away. The reason for the small diameter of the coil is to make it fit into the corners.

GXT004-076 sm.jpg

The result had a few wrinkles but I will work them out best I can.

GXT004-077 sm.jpg

After carefully trimming off the excess, I smoothed the copper carefully with the barnisher. Then opened up the holes. Carefully look for any stray bits of copper tape and removed those. Not bad for a first attempt and making up technique as I went along. :)

GXT004-084 sm.jpg

Thanks for looking. Cheers!

Last edited: Jun 9, 2019
    Believer7713 likes this.
  11. Bowmap

The fore mentioned third hand arrived. Time to pull out the 20 year old Pace solder station. Damn thing has been used heavily when I had my own company but for the past 15 years I have been working for someone else and it has sat on the shelf year after year after year. I was beginning to wonder if I still worked at soldering after all those years. Well the connector where the pen plugs into the power supply is messed up but it is only cosmetic. The pen still works. I had some de-solder to do on the Gibson 3 way and the 1/4 phone jack. I am not using either for this build. I am use a different style of 3 way. A lever style. So I had to figure out what was what on the Gibson wiring before I took the wires off.

GXT004-085 sm.jpg

Having that sorted I attached the switch wiring to the new 3-way.

GXT004-086 sm.jpg

Did the same for the 1/4 phone jack. Remove the open frame jack and soldered the wire on the sealed 1/4 phone jack. Damn... my control cavity is tiny. I hope I can stuff it all in there.

I put in the 1/4 Phone jack...

GXT004-088 sm.jpg

grabbed the pups and then plugged everything into the PCB. With a little finesse, it will all fit, barely, but it does. Last thing I wanted to do at this stage is to have to go back and route some room in the control pocket.

GXT004-087 sm.jpg

Stay tuned to find out if the Termite Tele will become a guitar or will it become a new home for another colony of termites?
    Will it have a personality complex and need to be renamed Sybil?
    Wells that's the end of tonight's episode of As The Tele Turns.

Believer7713 likes this.
  12. Bowmap

I had a bit of a break from building the 4 in 1 building. The foundation is in and pass inspection. Concrete crew are very busy try to get all the work done that they have else where, so I wait. I hope next week the slab will get poured and then I can get the sill plates on. Get material bids on the framing package. Not a budget buster but material are up. IN the mean time I had some spare evenings to do a little work on the Termite Tele.

Pressed in the string ferrules and gave thought on how to mount the P90s. Ordered misc parts in to work up an idea. I think I have something in my head that will work now. That should happen soon, but first, need to marry the neck to the body for the first time. An easy but critical step.

Seated the neck into the pocket and clamped it in place. Strung up both E strings for the first time. Using the strings as a guide and letting off pressure from the clamp slightly so I could adjust the neck until the string where even down the length of the neck.

GXT004-089 sm.jpg

Once I was happy with the alignment, increased pressure on the clamp and drilled pilot holes for the screws. I hope my wife does not notice the groove in her fancy soap that I used to lube the threads. One I had two screws in I released the clamp, double checked things and finished the other two holes and screws.

GXT004-090 sm.jpg

That is the easy part. Now put a full set on and set the relief and bridge height. The nut is not yet done and is not glued in as I may have to take some off the bottom so I get the height I want over the 1st fret. Once I am happy there, and no rocker, I can go on to install the pups.

GXT004-094 sm.jpg GXT004-093 sm.jpg

This is getting exciting as this will be build number 2 for me. If this turns out playing well, I just may fore go buying production guitar..... ahhhh… NOT.

13. Bowmap

It's alive, IT'S ALIVE. The Termite Tele made it's first sound today! I will post pics here after I go fetch a couple drugged dogs that got spayed today. I need to find someone in the Richmond, VA area that can tell me what I need to improve upon in my building skills and evaluate this guitar.

duzie and atheras like this.
  14. Bob the builder

Bob the builder Senior Stratmaster

I may be wrong but shouldn't the shielding come up over the face a lil bit to make contact with shielding on the back of the p/g to "complete" the cage?

Bowmap likes this.
  15. CB91710

CB91710 This is a Custom Title Gold Member Strat-Talk Supporter

"It depends"
    If the shield is grounded through its own ground wire, then the shield is complete even without wrapping over to touch the control plate. The small gap between the plate and foil *might* allow interference from x-ray frequencies.
    I'm assuming this is the plan for the final build if there is no solid pickguard that spans both pickup cavities.

Bowmap and Bob the builder like this.
  16. Bowmap

@CB91710 is correct and if there was a pick guard...

You would be correct as well. The point being is the shielding needs to tie to ground. The is one of the punch list items I have for this. I had to figure out the mounting of the P90s.

Bob the builder likes this.
  17. Bowmap

Today I figured out how I was going to mount to P90 without dog ears.

I found these little brackets. They are screwed into the wood and are backed with flat washers to fix the height. You need enough height so that the P90s can be adjusted up and down. You do not want the adjustment screws bottoming out too soon. (Like I almost know exactly what I am doing.) ;)

GXT004-096 sm.jpg

StewM had these foam blocks that incorporated a spring. They seemed like a good idea for this mount system.

GXT004-097 sm.jpg

The 'E' string I used as a guide for initially setting the pickup height and seeing if I could adjust the pickup height through enough of a range. I did have to drill recess holes under the bracket for the adjustment screw to gain greater movement.

Once they where mounted I did an electrical test. Plugged it in. NIce and quiet. Checked selector switch and it is correctly wire. The only thing that maybe 'backwards' is the order of the controls. 3-way, tone and then the volume. It should be an easy fix as I only need to rotate the PCB 180 degrees.

GXT004-098 sm.jpg

Only a few odd and ends left, get a set of strings on it, have a little fun with it, and get an evaluation.

Last edited: Jul 14, 2019
    fattboyzz, CB91710 and Believer7713 like this.
  18. Believer7713

That is a beautiful Tele! I should be building my first Tele from scratch later this year, hopefully. After I get the current partscaster build and refin completed I hope to get started so I can replace the Telecamphor. I would like to get som good camphor to work with since the camphor body I ended up buying a couple years ago turned out to be so badly cut.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

Bowmap likes this.
  19. Bowmap

By the time you get back on your walk abouts, your project list will be long. Cruising this S-T can certainly generate a lot of ideas. I have never used nor seen the grain of a camphor laurel. That build, I will certainly watch. I have a few in mind but I really need to get my shop built.

EDIT: Oh... and Thank you for the compliment.

Believer7713 likes this.
  20. Believer7713

Here is the one I built a while back. It looks ok in pics and on the wall but the neck pocket is total crap so I would love to start from scratch with another one.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

Bowmap likes this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.