Shatner/Blackmore collab.. Thrill is gone

KillingTone

Strat-O-Master
Platinum Supporting Member
Mar 13, 2017
Yardley, PA USA
I had a CD of Shatner's collaboration with Ben Folds, "Has Been", and it was pretty decent.
This song, done by BB, I love..."sung" by Shatner, not so much. Nice licks by Blackmore, though!
I have that CD too. I agree that it’s pretty decent especially compared to some other Shatner releases. Common People and Has Been are two that I remember liking. With Shatner, it’s like spoken word with musical accompaniment. You have to treat him that way not as a vocalist. Wonder how he met up with Ben Folds as well.

circles

Resident Pinball Enthusiast
May 26, 2013
West Seattle
I saw him do a dramatic reading once a loooooong time ago in Indianapolis (Market Square Arena, no longer there. So many concerts!!). He had an orchestra backing him.

I left after about 15 minutes. Or was it 10?

Blackmore Fan

Senior Stratmaster
Jan 10, 2010
The Midwest
I listened to it all. Blackmore's playing was more interesting for this one than the recent "Rainbow" (in quotes because I can't seriously consider it Rainbow) single "Waiting for a Sign".

With that said, decades ago there were reports that Blackmore found rhythm tracking boring, and apparently that's something that hasn't improved with age. He mailed it in on for most of that track. The solo-note overlays were interesting at least.

As for William Shatner...I always enjoyed his portrayal of James T. Kirk. That's all I want to say about that.