Shell Pink Refinish + PV65 Pickup Swap

Discussion in 'DIY Strat Forum' started by Papadosio, Jan 6, 2017.

1. Papadosio

Papadosio New Member!

Hey, never been a part of any guitar forums but i'm 20 and i've been playing since I was 9, and decided i'd share my project as some people may be interested lol... Started out with my 2010 MIM Lake Placid Maple Neck Strat... To any MIM shamers, some of them play better than Americans and if you disagree you just havn't played enough guitars imo haha. It's a solid guitar. Snagged her on ebay in October for $300 including shipping. Looked like it'd never been played considering it came with tags in the gigbag. So I've always owned MIM strats but never swapped to a set of pickups I actually liked. After listening to lots of youtube videos I decided I'd give the Fender Pure Vintage 65 pickup set a try. There are very limited reviews anywhere of this pickup set, so I took a gamble. Also I've always been a huge shell pink fan. So decided to take the dive and kill two birds with one stone.

Guitar to start with:
    http://i.imgur.com/kqmUsMB.jpg

After Disassembly and Sanding the Body with 400 grit:
    http://i.imgur.com/lQTrSn2.jpg

So as far as paint goes, a bass player buddy of mine who has refinished his basses suggested Guitar ReRanch. To anyone looking to refinish their guitars I highly suggest them. These guys sell all the vintage Fender nitrocellulose colors and clears... Crazy selection and fair prices considering. $45 Including shipping for a 16oz can of shell pink paint and a 16oz can of nitro clear. Enough to do a guitar or two. I Decided to go with vintage Fender spec paint because I want my Strat to age like the vintage guitars. I hate the modern finishes. They are way too thick and "plasticy." So after 3 coats of shell pink and 3 coats of clear. This is the final product reassembled. Also we swapped to the Pure Vintage 65 Pickups over while the guitar was apart:
    http://i.imgur.com/IXAloAk.jpg

To sum it up, I'm so happy with how she turned out. The finish really does remind me of the vintage Fender guitars i've seen in person. The Fender Pure Vintage 65 PUPS are also highly recommended... Sounds exactly like 65-66 strats I've had the pleasure to hear, and that's what I wanted... So tell me what you guys think. Sorry about the links, couldn't figure how to directly insert the images without them being massive haha

2. Caddy

Caddy Strat-O-Master

I like the shell pink and maple fretboard!

3. montemerrick

montemerrick no earthly reason why

looks just terrific. nice job!

4. rabbithowls

rabbithowls Senior Stratmaster

Classy! And welcome to ST![emoji1362]

5. sumran

sumran Fan of Leo

Nicely done! Welcome.

6. LordOfPudding

LordOfPudding Strat-Talker

That looks gorgeous...Nice work!

Thanks, now I have GAS for a shell pink/maple neck Strat. :)

7. mike77rios

mike77rios Strat-Talk Member

This past Saturday morning I switched out my pups to the PV'65's. Did you wire it "modern" or "vintage" meaning is your
    bridge pup wired to the tone knob? If not, how do you like it?

8. Fendereedo

Fendereedo Most Honored Senior Member

Gorgeous! What a beauty!

9. ryapou

ryapou Strat-Talker

Fabulous refinish. Definitely has that vintage vibe.

10. FormerTeleGuy

FormerTeleGuy Senior Stratmaster

looks beautiful!

11. FormerTeleGuy

FormerTeleGuy Senior Stratmaster

How did you get the poly finish off? Just 400 grit by hand? I was once told poly is tough as nails and gums up sanders.

12. dbbluesproject

dbbluesproject Senior Stratmaster Silver Member

Looks great glad you like the pickups!

13. Papadosio

Papadosio New Member!

It's a modern setup considering I just split and tapped in to the existing wires coming out of the pots, either way the pickups are awesome and i'm super happy

Yeah the poly finish is definitely nasty. But yeah I spent about 30 focused minutes sanding by hand and it came out really well.

14. Uncle Fiesta

Uncle Fiesta Senior Stratmaster

I love Shell Pink! I currently have a Squier body that has been refinished in SP nitro and am in the process of fitting a Tele neck to it - maple board of course. Photos and description to follow.