Shielding Strat...

Discussion in 'Stratocaster Discussion Forum' started by slh2536, May 4, 2021 at 8:02 AM.

1. of this world

of this world Strat-Talker

i'm just talking about my experiences. one guitar it did nothing for, the other was night and day difference.

2. Audiowonderland

Audiowonderland Strat-Talker

I put shielding paint down and then the copper tape over that. It was over kill, but all of the tape's conductive adhesive was on conductive material. Worked out well.

StratUp likes this.
  3. BuddhaFingas

BuddhaFingas Strat-O-Master Gold Supporting Member

This far I'm 2 for 2 on dramatic improvement from copper/conductive adhesive shielding.

Both were paint-shielded from the factory. Both had serious issues with 60hz interference in the factory config. Both are still running single-coils (though the P-Bass has reversed splits; they didn't help).

CV50's Tele, Player P-Bass. Both went from loudly noisy to dead calm in the exact same electrical environment... and my Hwy1 Strat still hums severely in the same environment and on the same equipment. As does my friend's Strat.

Cue the Monkees, 'cause I'm a believer in empirical evidence.

My Hwy1 gets the treatment the next time the strings are off.

Doc538 and StratUp like this.
  4. The_Whale

The_Whale Strat-Talker Silver Member

All these experiences are correct/true/relevant.

The noise from a poorly shielded single coil strat can be cut by more than half by shielding it very well.

However, this isn't enough to make it as quiet as a humbucker-equipped guitar. You'll still get lots of noise when playing with distortion.

In my experience, the only time it's worth the effort to shield a strat would be if you're stripping it down anyway for some other reason.

5. Fenderbaum

Fenderbaum Strat-Talker

Depends on where you are to use the guitar.
    On stage you have plenty electronic interference around you dependable on the size of the stage rig.
    Faraday cage shielding really just keeps Interference from outside to come inside the the guitar and cause noise.
    It has NO effect if anything malicious comes trough the lead and inside. This is bad grounded wiring inside your house/ location to any ill parts or bad pickups generating noise. And the 60hz cycle will always be there.
    If you are a sofa player and you sit in a modest home with little equipment to bother you, shielding is really not that essential.

6. of this world

of this world Strat-Talker

i'm just going to come right out and admit that i like 60 cycle hum... beats the crap out of the refrigerator compressor. i hate that bastard.

7. Eric_G

Eric_G Strat-Talk Member

So I looked at all these and two questions comes to mind... Why do you need:

1- The shielding adessive to be conductive
    2- The shielding to be grounded

From my understanding, shielding works like a Faraday cage. A short explanation of how a faraday cage work is:

Faraday Cages distribute electrostatic charge around their exterior. They, therefore, act as a shield to anything within them. They are, in this respect, a form of hollow conductor whereby the electromagnetic charge remains on the external surface of the cage only.

So I failed to see how the connectivity and grounding of the shielding impact anything...

I'm sure I'm missing something...

8. macoshark

macoshark Senior Stratmaster

This is why I've shielded 2 of my Strats with excellent results. I anchor my right hand on the PG and can't deal with any static feedback. I got the 2 in. copper roll adhesive off of Amazon by Kraftex. I would probably look hard at what @Collin D Plonker got next time

9. rolandson

rolandson Most Honored Senior Member

Take it to a picture frame shop with a vacuum table. Lay copper or aluminum foil (gold leaf if you are well off) into the cavities and have them pull a vacuum. Behold, a flawless substrate of electronic bliss...!

Or just insert the pieces of tape in sections small enough to easily manage, burnishing each into the other for as neat and seemless application as possible...

Realizing that under the pickguard, jack plate, trem cavity, absolutely no one will give a sh¡t.

StratUp and fretlessart like this.
  10. ajb1965

ajb1965 Old Enough to Know Better Gold Supporting Member Silver Member

Get active pickups instead :p

11. Meghans Dad

Meghans Dad Strat-Talker

Both my basses came with "shielding paint" that didn't work for s*%@. Dis the cavities with foil...huge improvement. Haven't had to do my strats as all the pickups are either HBs or noiseless.

Blackmore Fan likes this.
  12. Blackmore Fan

Blackmore Fan Senior Stratmaster

Ron is a prince of a gentleman.

Baelzebub likes this.
  13. Baelzebub

Baelzebub Most Honored Senior Member

I'll second that...

Blackmore Fan likes this.
  14. Dibbs

Dibbs Strat-O-Master

I like the .006 copper pickguard shields, it's an extra 25$ or so, on Ebay. Tape the cavity, ground the claw thru the body, and use an old high E wire to ground the bridge to the cavity. That's about as hum resistant as you're going to get.

15. StratorTrle

StratorTrle New Member!

I got an 08 american standard HSS pickguard with 2 deluxe drive single coils and a JB TB4. The pickguard had it's regular shielding. I put it in a Vintage Icon V6. I shielded the whole cavity. When my tech installed the pickguard he made sure the pickguard and body shielding met. He's shocked at how silent it is. Even 9n high gain, it's crazy. It's totally worth it.

16. mim#1

mim#1 Strat-Talk Member

Did [or does] Fender use a coat of shielding paint in the cavities under the poly finish? I read that somewhere and own a 2006 American Standard strat, but I can't confirm that its a fact.
    Actually, why would they have a ground screw to the cavities poly finish? Did they use shielding paint in the same poly finish color?
    I'm a big beleiver in shielded wire from the vol to the jack though!

17. Scott Baxendale

Scott Baxendale Senior Stratmaster Gold Supporting Member

Wire up a hard soldered ground for all the pots, switch, Jack, etc. this will do more than the shielding tape. Secondly, make sure all the shielding is soldered together and also soldered to this hard solid ground circuit. Also make sure none of the pickguard screws touch any of the shielding.

Last edited: May 7, 2021 at 10:49 AM
    Torvald likes this.
  18. dbluesmi

dbluesmi Strat-Talk Member

Use copper tape (I used tape master brand)... make sure you get the kind with conductive glue.No soldering necessary.make sure the cavity folds slight over top edge of cavity at some pint so it contacts foil on back of pickguard. And make sure the whole tape touches ground in some way.

StratUp and Torvald like this.
  19. franblanc

franblanc Strat-Talk Member

American Standard 1992. I have 3 Fender single coil pick ups. I reduced the hum by about 80 percent by installing a tin box around the cavity that houses the three pickups. This is the Faraday cage. Then I plastered the pot cavity and the jack plug cavity with copper foil strips. The adhesive is not conductive (I found out today) but because I used strips of foil and placed so many of them so badly there is conducticity around the shielded cavity as a result. (There are wrinkles in the foil because I did such a sloppy job, these actually help.). The pick guard was shielded from the Fender factory and I put more copper foil on the rear tremolo cover so it is well covered. I have an on board pre-amp that boosts 20 db. There is very little noise. This was my cheap alternative to buying Lace Noiseless pickups. However, I think the biggest difference is the ground lead into the trem cavity. If that is not soldered securely to the claw then you can get a lot of noise. if the solder does not stick to the aluminium then you have to use beeswax or Solder Fluid (Zinc Chloride). I used Bakers Solder Fluid Number 3 to make it stick. cavity.jpg

20. StratUp

StratUp Strat-O-Master

The room I play in has an interesting characteristic. Stand one way and get some noise (guitar is shielded). Turn 90 degrees in the same footprint and the noise is gone.

Appears to be waves off the pole power lines which are at that end of the house and maybe 75' away as the road passes along that side. Not high power lines... just feeding small residential areas. I think we're past the last transformer so minimal voltage/amps (will check for curiosity).

Tells me all those stories about "electromagnetic radiation" from power lines are more real than I imagined. I thought it would only be from the hi-tension lines on towers. Whether it matters, can't say.

Do a post. Very interested in your back-to-back results with a troublemaker (noisemaker).

That's the catch. They shield the wiring and open controls (e.g. a typical pickup switch) in the cavity. The do not shield the pickup itself, which is why you will still get some noise unless you go noiseless/humbucker. Shielded wiring and a metal encased toggle on the pickup might do as much, but it can't hurt.