Shingles/Covid shots

Discussion in 'Sidewinders Bar & Grille' started by Deafsoundguy, May 7, 2021.

1. Deafsoundguy

Deafsoundguy CERTIFIED HACK Silver Member

Well today was the day I finally remembered to ask Costco about getting a Shingles shot. It used to be here that you had to be 65 and older before you could get one, but I guess they changed that recently. I signed up but the person behind the glass asked if I had my vaccinations yet. I said first one, and second one is in 10 days. I didn’t know it but there is a protocol on this. They said that the Covid shots are recommended to be 2 weeks after and/or 2 weeks before. So in essence, I’m 10 days from shot two and if I go to get my second shot and I tell them that I had my Shingles shot 10 days ago they won’t give it to me :( . Now I guess I have to wait almost a month now before I can get the Shingles jab. I thought perhaps since there’s so many near my age here on the forum that it might be useable info for some poor soul who wants to get some roofies.

2. bbarott

bbarott Most Honored Senior Member

No info beyond what you've offered. Second covid shot on monday 5/10, after that shingles as soon as i can organize it. It just makes sense to do it.

simoncroft and Deafsoundguy like this.
  3. simoncroft

simoncroft Still playing. Still learning! Silver Member

No info, I'm afraid, but my AstraZenica second jab should give me full immunity on Sunday. I can't begin to tell you how much my wife and I are looking forward to doing simple things, like actually choosing the things we buy in a supermarket. (She's vulnerable, so we've been shielding for more than a year now.)

Last edited by a moderator: May 9, 2021
  4. Ed Storer

Ed Storer Strat-O-Master

I had my two Pfizer shots in February. My wife has held out for the J & J vaccine and has an appointment next Friday. She got the shingles vaccine about a year ago and the side effects made her feel lousy for two days.

Other than a sore shoulder for a day or so, I had no side effects from the Pfizer vaccines. I haven't gotten the shingles vaccine, but I'm not looking forward to it. When I was a child, chicken pox was a "childhood disease" like measles - you got it once and you were immunized. My parents arranged playdates with neighbors to expose me to chicken pox. This was all at least 60 years ago. I know that shingles is painful, but I haven't heard that it's potentially deadly. I'm still weighing my options.

Deafsoundguy likes this.
  5. CB91710

CB91710 No GAS shortage here Double Platinum Supporting Member

They were talking about that yesterday on the topic of the Covid shots opening up for children, and concerns over there being absolutely no research on the interaction between Covid and other vaccines and whether there is an impact on the efficacy of either, so they are recommending at least 4-6 weeks between Covid shots and any other childhood shots, would assume that the same would apply to adult shots such as Shingles, Pneumonia, Hepatitis....

We had Shingles, Hep-A, and Hep-B all at the same time. Kicked our butts for about 24 hours after a delay of 24.

Archtops, nadzab, Stratafied and 2 others like this.
  6. CB91710

My wife had it.
    You don't want it. She felt like her skin was on fire.
    24-48 hours of feeling like crap is nothing compared to the weeks she endured.

7. lammie200

lammie200 Senior Stratmaster

Good timing on the post. I hope that it doesn’t get shut down for the benefit of others.

I had my first shingles shot 2 months and a couple of days before my second one. (The recommended interval is 2-6 months.) I felt bad after the first one for a couple of days. More less the same after the second one. Then 2 weeks and one day after the second one I got my first Pfizer COVID shot. (So if you follow the theme I was going for the shortest recommended intervals.) In a day or so I get a rash under my rib cage. Painful and itchy but not full blown shingles blisters. Felt like crap, too. Doctor orders blood tests. Low platelet counts. Two more test in the subsequent days. Still low but I feel better. Doctor says to follow up with the second COVID shot and we will go from there. My recommendation to the OP is to wait a couple of months after you finish the COVID vaccine protocol before starting the shingles vaccine protocol. Sure you may risk getting shingles, but it may be a low risk.

Also, shingles can be very difficult. They can occur internally on organs or around your eyes which could result in blindness. Toughing out shingles is a risk that I wouldn’t want to take.

Last edited: May 7, 2021
  8. Stratafied

Stratafied Most Honored Senior Member

Had the shingles shot early on , but it was found to be an ineffective dose , haven’t gotten around to getting the newer dose.

9. Seamus OReally

Seamus OReally Mr. Serious Gold Supporting Member

My doc pushes vaccine boosters all the time, but advised me specifically against getting the shingles vaccine, because I use a drug that compromises my immune system. I guess I’d have a good shot at triggering shingles.

Deafsoundguy and rolandson like this.
  10. rolandson

rolandson Most Honored Senior Member

You're talking about the two dose Shingrix (shingles) thing I take it? Because that is what I am talking about...
    Dose #2 of that can be...whenever.

Mine were 2 years apart.

The original shingles vaccine had something like 60% efficacy. The Shingrix two step is on the order of 95%.
    The original protocol was 6 months apart for them. Then it was within a year of the first. Now...it's - realistically - whenever.

After #1, I refused to do the second. It made me very ill. After a couple of years listening to my primary gripe about it I relented. I regret doing so. #2 was worse than # 1.

Shingles couldn't be that bad. But what do I know.

However, I do know this:
    The Covid vaccine saves lives.

nadzab and Deafsoundguy like this.
  11. lammie200

Do a google search for shingles images. Then read up on it.

cranky and CB91710 like this.
  12. Otisblove

Otisblove Senior Stratmaster Silver Member

My dad got shingles in his 20’s. He didn’t care for it.

s5tuart, cranky and Deafsoundguy like this.
  13. Deafsoundguy

Deafsoundguy CERTIFIED HACK Silver Member

Wow, great info! :thumb:

Well I my original post was just to share about the time between Covid shots and possible Shingles shots, and what I learned today. So your post makes me think real hard about wanting to get that Shingles shot anytime real soon. I think I’ll wait some months before I get it. Real sorry to hear of you guys that got bad reactions to it or either one for that matter. :(

I apologize for any left turn into Covid crap. This post was supposed to be about Shingles not Covid, or anything political however I don’t see how anything could be political about that. Let’s keep it that way. Thanks guys

cranky likes this.
  14. pazman6

pazman6 Senior Stratmaster

I got the 2 dose shingles vaccine through the VA a couple years ago - didn't have any side effects at all. Shingles suck big time------ Some people get a small spot the size of a half dollar or quarter and it can put them in a bad way. I did get shingles very bad when I was 23 and in the Army. By very bad, I mean I had a shingles breakout on my torso from crotch to breast on the left side - center of stomach to center of back (~2 square feet of skin). When I went to the clinic to get something for it, the doctor called all of the other doctors in to look at me and they were amazed. First doctor that walked in said - "Man - that must hurt like a *****". The pain was excruciating and I ended up taking some type of pain killers 24x7 for a week - it was mostly a blur other than toward the latter part, when I woke up to roll over and I was stuck to the sheets, so it would rip open wounds in lots of places only to do it again a few hours later. Was out for about 7 - 10 days, but it took several months for the scabs to all heal - still have scars from it. I would put the pain level about the same as when I snapped my arm just above the wrist.

Get the shot if it can prevent the shingles in any way.

15. Wound_Up

Wound_Up Senior Stratmaster

It makes sense to me. They, don't want any sort of interaction between the 2, hence the 2 week wait between jabs.

Deafsoundguy likes this.
  16. lammie200

The interval between the shingles vaccines is 2-6 months. The interval between COVID vaccines is 3-4 weeks. There is some maths there.

Deafsoundguy and PeteGeordie like this.
  17. CB91710

The concern is how close together one may be taken with the other to not impact the desired effects.

I've heard anywhere from 2 to 6 weeks. I'd say wait 6 weeks after the 2nd Covid shot before getting the Shingrix so there's no overlap between the 4.
    And that *should* provide enough space on the 2nd Shingrix shot if they determine that Covid boosters are needed in 6 months.

The doctor interviewed that I heard simply said that there is no research on the interaction between existing vaccines and the Covid shots.

The-Kid, rolandson and Deafsoundguy like this.
  18. ukoldgit

ukoldgit Most Honored Senior Member

I have just received a text to book in for the shingles jab, a first for me and I will be going for it, I too have had full blown Shingles and it ain't fun, think the worst day was Christmas day 1992 had a rash over 60% of my body.
    And it is life threatening, my Doc gave me a course of drugs which he said cost over £1000, nice of him I thought:D

19. Mansonienne

Mansonienne Mod admin Staff Member Silver Member

Admin Post
    My daughter has to have some shots and boosters for going to high school in the US (she's going to do her last two years in Arizona, and the vaccines are slightly different from France). The doc insisted on spacing each one out by a month. And I will ensure there are at least 4-6 weeks between her last one (chicken pox booster) and her first Pfizer shot.

Deafsoundguy, The-Kid, cranky and 2 others like this.
  20. CB91710

Was she able to get the AZ Covid shot in France, or are they still not vaccinating teens?