shipping an amp

Discussion in 'Amp Input - Normal or Bright' started by Dead Head, Dec 18, 2020.

1. Nate D

Nate D Most Honored Senior Member

That’s dum dum. lol

funny story.

2. Triple Jim

Triple Jim Guy Who Likes to Play Guitar Silver Member

The bag would certainly help, but he'll still be pissed having to pick up a million peanuts from the floor. I joke about my box of peanuts... I say I use them to ship things to people I don't like.

Miotch and jbylake like this.
  3. Miotch

Miotch Senior Stratmaster

Only purchased one amp through mail and never shipped one. The Budda I bought had large foamish-covered-with-plastic corners on it to float in the box. Single box and it had a tear in it, but no damage to the amp. I kept the corners for a while in case I had to ship it back. Eventually threw them away. Wish I hadn't. I will probably never ship an amp, but if I ever do, I'll wish I'd kept those corners.

4. Agtronic

Agtronic Senior Stratmaster

I can't imagine how much packaging a tall / heavy amp like a Super Reverb would require to survive a drop from 6 feet. The box would have to be 6 feet high.

henderman and Anacharsis like this.
  5. Isca

Isca Strat-Talker

The most important thing is to work on shock absorption. The cardboard box is just an exoskeleton protecting the real packing, which should be a super thick wrapping of something with plenty of give. It should be tightly contained with no room to move once taped up. Personally I pull tubes and wrap snugly inside the amp in such a way that they won’t jiggle.

6. henderman

henderman Most Honored Senior Member

i would not want to be responsible for packing and paying for shipping on one of those!

7. fezz parka

fezz parka fezz parka

No it wouldn't. Says a guy who packed a BFSR to withstand a 6 foot drop.

A Super Six...that's a different story. Or a Quad Reverb.

8. The_Whale

The_Whale Strat-Talker Silver Member

9. Dead Head

Dead Head Strat-Talker

That amp is like half the weight of the amp I may have to ship if I don't get a local buyer. I have a Legend super lead 50. It has an oak cabinet that's like 1/2" thick It only has 3 12ax7 tubes in it. It is super heavy. Thanks for the ideas. Peanuts are out. This amp is from the late 80's so I don't have any original packaging. I'll figure something out

10. Dead Head

Dead Head Strat-Talker

I looked closer at the "You tube" video you wanted me to see, and I don't think it was the amp shipping in the peanuts. But the vintage equipment in the insulation panels. That is a great way to ship it. Box in a box. Thank you!!!