Join Strat-Talk Today

Shocked by Fender RI neck price

Discussion in 'Stratocaster Discussion Forum' started by Miotch, Aug 30, 2019.

1. Miotch

Miotch Senior Stratmaster

Trying to calculate how much money I had in a partscaster for no real reason except curiosity. I know exactly how much I spent on all the parts to build it at the time, except I used a neck I bought about 20 years earlier. So I wanted to know how much a 62 (we assume '62 because of slab and thin profile--they weren't actually listed as "'62") Reissue rosewood board Fender-manufactured neck would be today and hit the Google Machine. Holy cow !! $699 at Sweetwater. I think I paid right at $189 for mine in 1991 when I had a local luthier order it for me.

Edit: after reading details, this neck isn't mine. Mine is thin thin thin and this one at Sweetwater is "thick" and wrong radius. Still, $700 for a new Fender neck, thick or thin, seems outrageous.

https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/0990120921--fender-american-original-60s-stratocaster-replacement-neck-rosewood-fingerboard?gclsrc=aw.ds&&mrkgcl=28&mrkgadid=3331287889&rkg_id=0&product_id=0990120921&campaigntype=shopping&campaign=aaShopping - Core - Guitars - Vendor&adgroup=Guitars - Guitar Accessories&placement=google&adpos=1o1&creative=332063179644&device=c&matchtype=&network=g&gclid=CjwKCAjwkqPrBRA3EiwAKdtwk4xPzfTVnvZ3nKUm4R7U8K-_Zq_lUiMGZSerIEr4ISCP_ZH6W-E8oxoCt1oQAvD_BwE

Last edited: Aug 30, 2019
    rocknrollrich likes this.
  2. Guitarmageddon

Guitarmageddon Squier Freak Strat-Talk Supporter

The American Original 60s Strat sells for $1949.99 in the USA - $700 for the neck is a normal price for higher end USA stuff......if they sold it for less, people could build their own for less than buying the complete guitar new......

3bolt79, AxemanVR, Tim S and 5 others like this.
  3. mabley123

mabley123 Senior Stratmaster

You can get a Fender Licensed neck from Musikraft, with slab Dark Rosewood board, Clay Dots/Side Dots, and thin lacquer finish for $280.

Add Real Brazilian Rosewood like the original, and its $630.00.

henderman likes this.
  4. Thrup'ny Bit

Thrup'ny Bit Grand Master Curmudgeon Strat-Talk Supporter

And the choice of correct vintage radius and frets?

Guitarmageddon likes this.
  5. Miotch

Miotch Senior Stratmaster

Oh, I'm sure if I were to start a new project, I'd only buy a Fender-licensed neck. I love my fat AllParts neck on another one. But I was just trying to compare apples to apples, or cost of Fender-manufactured RI neck to the Fender one I have.

6. Johnny Danger

Johnny Danger Senior Stratmaster

For my EJ Thinline build, I got an MIM classic series lacquer neck for 250 brand new. It's a really nice neck. Similar price for a finished neck even from the licensed builders.

henderman, jpmist and Miotch like this.
  7. Thrup'ny Bit

Thrup'ny Bit Grand Master Curmudgeon Strat-Talk Supporter

Your 189 1991 dollars would be worth 354 2019 dollars...

CB91710 and Miotch like this.
  8. rocknrollrich

rocknrollrich Senior Stratmaster

I was looking at new fender necks also.
    I'm going to need a refret soon, and I wanted to know if putting on a new neck would be more economical.
    It would not.

I am more than tempted to put the original neck away (as is) and get a warmouth neck with stainless frets, and my preferred neck carve.

Even picking top of the line features on a warmouth, it's way less expensive than a fender neck.

Also, I'm terrified of a refret on my #1.
    What if i pay top dollar for the job and it gets botched? I'd be sunk.

Miotch likes this.
  9. vid1900

vid1900 Most Honored Senior Member

Find where the prog-rock bands play in your town.

You will find bands where they play 8 string guitars, 10 string basses, and they have Marshall Plexi with effect-loops installed.

Ask those guys where they get their fretwork done.

Your new luither will answer "Of course!!!" when you ask if he does Stainless.

Not, "Well, you know stainless is hard on my tools. Most of my customers want Nickel, you know, for the tone"

If you are really scarred, then send it to Dan Earlewine in OH. A fretjob by him (while we still have him) will probably increase your resale value

10. rocknrollrich

I think dan erlwine is a national treasure. Honestly. I think the guy is brilliant.
    A lot of YouTube "luthiers" ***** and moan about stew mac, and how evil they are for charging what they do.

But you know, all of them either use stew mac tools or a knock off version.
    And why?
    Because they invented stuff to solve specific problems, and their stuff works.
    Nobody wants to pay for it. They love the idea/design, but they want it at Walmart prices.
    People barely want to pay for what you do, they definitely don't want to pay for expertise and ingenuity.

Yeah, stew mac charges a lot for their gizmos, but they should get paid for the intellectual work that went into their gizmos.

11. rocknrollrich

Good advice

12. clydethecat

clydethecat Strat-Talker

And it comes with a decal.

3bolt79 and Miotch like this.
  13. CB91710

CB91710 This is a Custom Title Gold Member Strat-Talk Supporter

Rosewood is the kicker. With CITES (at least currently) the Rosewood board is going to be US production, which demands a premium price, particularly for Brazilian (which isn't going to get cheaper any time soon).

14. mabley123

They just took instruments off CITES.

CITES exempts musical instruments from rosewood permit ...
    upload_2019-8-30_15-40-28.jpeg
    https://www.thestrad.com/news/cites-exempts...
    2 days ago · The triennial CITES conference concluded today with a significant clarification for musicians and musical instrument dealers and makers. The stipulation in Appendix II for rosewoods and related tree species has been amended so that finished products including up to a maximum of 10kg of the listed wood, and finished musical instruments

AxemanVR, rocknrollrich and Cerb like this.
  15. rocknrollrich

What do they mean by "finished products" ?
    So is it now ok to take your 59 les Paul overseas?
    Can builders make new guitars (w/rosewood) and ship them overseas, or is it restricted to stuff that has already been built?

Just curious.

16. AxemanVR

AxemanVR I appreciate, therefore I am... Strat-Talk Supporter

I paid around $700 for a 2011 Fender AVRI ‘52 Hot Rod neck (from “The Stratosphere”) as an upgrade to the original one on my 2003 Fender AVRI ‘52 Tele.

But, as @Guitarmageddon pointed out, the ‘52 AVRI Hot Rod models were also selling for something like $1400-$1600 at the time.

Was $700 way over-priced for just a neck? Absolutely. But I wanted the appearance of the original except with the more modern fretboard radius and jumbo frets, so it was worth it for me...

237C884B-EB86-4968-9EF1-138525BE2520.jpeg

Last edited: Aug 31, 2019
  17. mabley123

Yep. Any finished instrument. Not sure about individual necks, but I would assume the neck would be considered a finished product.

18. CB91710

It doesn't look like the exemption will apply to Brazilian Rosewood, which remains on the endangered list.
    But it is going to make life much easier for manufacturers, and hopefully, reverse the moves to Pau-Ferro and other alternative dark woods.

mabley123 likes this.
  19. CB91710

"Finished product" example might be a shaped fingerboard blank. The completed guitar would be an "assembled product"

20. mabley123

Nah, it aint gonna apply to BRW, nor should it.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.