Should I address fret sprout if I move to more humid place??

Discussion in 'DIY Strat Forum' started by StratyCat, Nov 10, 2020.

1. StratyCat

StratyCat Strat-Talk Member

Hi all,

I just got my new strat, and realize there are some sharp fret ends and fret sprouts out of the box that needs to be addressed, so I brought a fret address file from stewmac, oh man, that thing is pricy as hell and it better do the job.

But what I want to know is should I address the fret sprout now if I plan to move to a place (south Asia) wherewith higher humidity with my guitar, I currently live in South America, almost the driest state in the country, what happen if I address them now?

Thanks!
    [​IMG]

3bolt79 and Jerseystratfiend like this.
  2. stevierayfan91

stevierayfan91 DEEPLY SHY.

Nevermind.

Last edited: Nov 10, 2020
  3. Thrup'ny Bit

Thrup'ny Bit Grand Master Curmudgeon

If you do them now, they're done, no more worries where ever you go. You wasted your money though, you could have used any small file, or even sandpaper.

fezz parka and 3bolt79 like this.
  4. telepraise

telepraise Strat-O-Master

You already have the file, dress them now and avoid slicing your fingers. Enjoy that new strat!

3bolt79 likes this.
  5. StratyCat

StratyCat Strat-Talk Member

I definitely going to address the round the sharp fret end right away, just not sure about the sprout portion at the side of the neck.
    I heard that the fret sprout is caused by wood shrunk but metal doesn't. So I am curious that if I move to a new place, the wood would probably expand after absorbing moisture, would the frets aren't long enough for my fretboard if I address it now?

And yes, I definitely think that file is overpriced, but I am new to address fret by myself, so I think it would be easier for me if I got a good tool to start.

6. jaxjaxon

jaxjaxon Strat-O-Master

Yes it could cause the frets to be too short after it gets more humidity. You should try and keep the humidity more stable like 40 to50% all the time if you can.

3bolt79 likes this.
  7. stevierayfan91

stevierayfan91 DEEPLY SHY.

Hi, @StratyCat

If have not done fretwork before, it may be good idea to let good tech do it.

3bolt79 likes this.
  8. StummerJoe

StummerJoe Senior Stratmaster

I would address it now. It is not likely to get worse when you move, and even if it does you have the means to address it again. I wouldn't be uncomfortable in the meantime.

Thrup'ny Bit and 3bolt79 like this.
  9. 3bolt79

3bolt79 Dr. Stratster

You are still going to need to polish the fret ends after the file. Be sure to mask off the wood with painters tape first. And I use one of these to polish up the metal after the file. Get them at a woman’s beauty supply store or nail salon. image.jpg

Thrup'ny Bit and StummerJoe like this.