Warmoth.com ad space available darrenriley.com Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups ad space available Reilander Pickups

Warmoth.com ad space available darrenriley.com Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups Guitar Pickups Reilander Pickups

Warmoth.com ad space available darrenriley.com Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups Guitar Pickups Reilander Pickups

Join Strat-Talk Today

Should I hack up an arch top to add a pickup?

Discussion in 'Other Guitar Discussion' started by ashtray, Jul 16, 2017.

1. montemerrick

montemerrick spiritual birthday, April 1 Strat-Talk Supporter

Apr 13, 2015
    cascadia
    and that thing sounded great! i first really got aware of it in this video.. fantastic band, fantastic tunes and that guitar... killer.

abnormaltoy, CigBurn and fezz parka like this.

2. CigBurn

CigBurn Most Honored Senior Member Strat-Talk Supporter

Jun 22, 2014
    The Shed
    Holy moly JJ Cale's guitar!

abnormaltoy and montemerrick like this.

3. Mr. Lumbergh

Mr. Lumbergh needs you to go ahead and come in on Sunday, too. Strat-Talk Supporter

Jan 10, 2014
    Initech, Inc.
    Same as my Chevy days changing header gaskets all the time. Not hard, but still a PITA.

fezz parka and abnormaltoy like this.

4. Forum Sponsor Sponsored posting

5. johnnymg

johnnymg Senior Stratmaster Strat-Talk Supporter

Sep 5, 2015
    Central Coast Ca
    Yeah, why is that? I remember changing those gaskets a few times a LONG time ago. Can't remember why though......... maybe something about they just always seemed to leak after a while. o_O

Oh, and intake manifold gaskets. That one was a bigger job. The milky oil was the tell.

6. Mr. Lumbergh

Mr. Lumbergh needs you to go ahead and come in on Sunday, too. Strat-Talk Supporter

Jan 10, 2014
    Initech, Inc.
    That's always why I wound up changing them, and it always seemed to be cylinder #7 that it would start on. You know, the one right by the firewall that you can't get to directly because the brake master cylinder and booster are in the way? It always started with the header bolts working loose, I reckon it was just that they got hotter a lot more quickly than the area of the heads they bolted to, so there was always a push-pull going on after startup and shutoff between the two.

Last edited: Jul 16, 2017
    johnnymg likes this.

7. ashtray

ashtray Strat-O-Master

Mar 15, 2017
    LA
    The countdown to the big reveal begins! Uh, lets say 16 hours and counting. ;)

8. fezz parka

fezz parka Wiggler of Sticks Strat-Talk Supporter

And....nothing. Time for planting. :D

Thrup'ny Bit likes this.

9. Mr. Lumbergh

Jan 10, 2014
    Initech, Inc.
    How's the planting going? Gretsch mods over here at Initech.

10. RadioFM74

RadioFM74 Strat-Talker

Well said Monte. Well, if we thusly look at the grander scheme of things, I’d say go ahead and try to carve it into a Gibson Explorer even if it’s a ’39 Epi Deluxe :)

11. carver

carver The East Coast Strangler Strat-Talk Supporter

you could mount a few different pickup types on an Arch top with out routing a huge hole in it.

12. Miotch

Miotch Senior Stratmaster

Jun 28, 2011
    ok
    Tell us now, darn you !!! Can't answer 'til we know.

13. ashtray

ashtray Strat-O-Master

Mar 15, 2017
    LA
    Ok - I will tell you... in about 3 hours. If that time works for the seller. :whistling:

14. Stormy Monday

Stormy Monday Senior Stratmaster Strat-Talk Supporter

Jan 19, 2011
    red barn, USA
    or hip waders

15. ashtray

ashtray Strat-O-Master

Mar 15, 2017
    LA
    Ok - just got back from picking her up:

1959 Framus 5/59 Sorella. :)

[​IMG]

NO plans to hack at her at the moment. Will look in to floating pickup options. Wild hollowbody archtop. Great tone. Plays great too! That was the most shocking part! I'll get more pics up later today...

Last edited: Jul 17, 2017
    craigh, montemerrick, CigBurn and 2 others like this.

16. Namelyguitar

Namelyguitar Most Honored Senior Member

Jun 3, 2009
    Mobile Bay
    That's a relief. That guitar looks great. Time for some fun!

17. Ebidis

Ebidis Most Honored Senior Member

Nov 14, 2013
    Alabama
    I think you won't be able to get a pickup in there. You may have to go with a small compact car.

18. ashtray

ashtray Strat-O-Master

Mar 15, 2017
    LA
    That's pretty awesome - I was thinking a CC type pickup would give me the warm sound I'm after. That said, I need to find/make a pickguard to fit for the controls. This guitar was designed with a robust top that rings out so nicely. I don't want to drill any holes to attach pots to the top that will kill the acoustic sound.

Not much chance in finding a 58 year old pickguard to fit, along with the brackets, so I'll likely have to buy a blank and some metal tabs and fab something up myself. I'm thinking tort shell, with the control knobs that just stick out a little from the side of the pickguard. Not sure where to mount the output jack though.

The guitar had one strap button, but the hole for it seems to be filled with plastic?

I need to take more pics to show - this thing is pretty wild to me. Originally sold in Germany in 1959 - I wonder how it ended up in California nearly 60 years later.

I bought it from someone who was handling the sale of "a bunch of old guitars" from a collector who "is older and doesn't do the whole internet thing". It was unclear if the person I bought it from knew anything about guitars BUT, the collector is actually going through each guitar and doing a full setup on them, to get them ready for sale! The guitar played great when I got it - which was shocking. And yes, I'm keeping an eye out for when they post more for sale. ;)

They had a 1960 Harmony 1213 in very good shape - but they aren't worth anything, and the price was too high (for me).

montemerrick likes this.

19. jimyjazz

jimyjazz Senior Stratmaster

May 15, 2015
    New Zealand
    Might have to borrow fezzs' crash helmet and try backing it in ....

but really.... that's a sweet looking guitar ashtray.

montemerrick likes this.

20. montemerrick

montemerrick spiritual birthday, April 1 Strat-Talk Supporter

Apr 13, 2015
    cascadia
    that sounds like a great plan... you can mount the jack in the end pin for the guitar strap. its a really clean way to do it... i did my flat top that way and it came out very nicely... it's an under ten dollar part...

jimyjazz and CigBurn like this.