Should I sell?

Discussion in 'Stratocaster Discussion Forum' started by BuffaloHound, Mar 21, 2021.

1. BuffaloHound

BuffaloHound Strat-O-Master

I’ve always been an acoustic player, but I just finished a complete rebuild (frets, neck, rolled edges, PUPs, saddles, nut, ect...) of a cheap used Strat. I love it. Can’t set it down. I’m an electric player now.
    The problem is I now have zero desire to play my fancy—to me—Vintage style reissue MIM Strat (in a very rare color). I’d get along with the MIM better if I sanded the neck down to wood, but I’m not sure I want to do that to a guitar that I can sell for +$750. Then again I also don’t need or want two SSS guitars.

I don’t need the money for life expensive. But I could use it to upgrade my acoustic or buy an SG/Les Paul/Sonic Duo. I hate that I have a guitar that just sits in the closet. Anyone wanna talk me off the ledge.

I don’t want to kill the resale value of a guitar I don’t play by modding it.
    upload_2021-3-21_21-21-37.jpeg

StummerJoe and BuddyHollywood like this.
  2. Colnago1

Colnago1 Strat-O-Master

You’re asking the wrong guy here. I have seven Strats that are all configured very similarly.
    I say keep it and do what you need to do to it to want to play it and enjoy it.
    Save up for the other guitars on your list and never sell anything as you’ll regret it sometime.

3. LordOfPudding

LordOfPudding Strat-Talker

It sounds like you've already made up your mind to sell it.

4. rockon1

rockon1 Senior Stratmaster Silver Member

Two electrics are a minimum if you can afford them. You can do reversible mods to it -different loaded pickguard, saddles, bridge, etc. You can even lightly degloss the neck if gloss bothers you- no need to take it down to wood unless youre reshaping it. Keep it.

Handsome McClane likes this.
  5. CB91710

CB91710 No GAS shortage here Double Platinum Supporting Member

You aren't going to sell an MiM Strat for $750 unless you're in Oz or some areas of the EU.
    They barely go for more than that brand new.

Guitars are not investments. They make a ton of them (in 1998, 125,000 per year).
    If it is ever worth more than it cost when new, it's because inflation has pulled the used market up, but the selling price won't exceed inflation.

If you have no desire to play it, then there is no need to modify it. Keep it as it is and put it in the case until you decide to sell it.
    If modifying it will make you more likely to play it, then do it.

That IS a beautiful guitar!

circles, StummerJoe, NateH and 4 others like this.
  6. J4ME5

J4ME5 Strat-O-Master

What is your other Strat? Is it maple? If it is maple, I would consider keeping this one – as I think one can justify having one of each? If you have two rosewood SSS Strats – then perhaps you could sell this one? Here's the main question for you, in my opinion –

Do you think you would regret selling it?

It sounds like you have no REAL attachment to it? Which is great! But if you do – I would think very carefully about selling it... I've sold about 15-20 guitars in the past couple of years – and I only regret selling one, and I DO regret it – but... at the same time, I have accepted it – and had I not sold it, I probably wouldn't have what I have now – a three guitar collection. Having too many of the one thing – in my case Strats, made each one less... special, in my eyes... – and they devalued each other, in my opinion. And it made me uncomfortable that I had guitars sitting in a closet – it was a real burden for me, everybody is different though!

For me – less is more, and if you don't think you would regret selling the guitar – I'd be inclined to say, let it go... and replace it with a Maple :thumb: !!

7. myredstrat

myredstrat Senior Stratmaster

Keep it!, You may change your mind later and prefer to play it, tastes change. Set it up for slide, do drop tuning etc etc. There are lots of reasons to keep it

Frans likes this.
  8. Stratman84

Stratman84 Strat-Talker

Keep it as it is a beautiful guitar! But get rid of that skateboard in the background. Those things are dangerous and if you eat it doing an Ollie into traffic you won’t be playing much guitar... :) :) :)

elduderinoTF likes this.
  9. train

train Strat-Talker Silver Member

Welcome to the electric world. Lol. You need two min. If you sell you will end up replacing down the line.I’m with you if ya can’t handle a acoustic as deftly as an electric ya got a hole in your swing.

10. fos1

fos1 Senior Stratmaster Silver Member

I never sell a guitar. I have given one to my oldest son (a very nice Ibanez Genesis) and donated a good banjo to a youngster.

I have a Warmoth neck with a satin finish on the way way for my very nice Strat clone that has a very thick clear coat on the back (and fretboard). I don't mind the fretboard so much but I like a satin finish or oiled wood on the back.

Selling is a decision on you can make.

11. hamerfan

hamerfan Strat-Talker

In most cases selling a new when purchased guitar means a loss of money. That's the reason why I only buy used. Try to swap it to a SG or a LP studio!

NateH likes this.
  12. Rudedawg

Rudedawg Senior Stratmaster

If you can sell a used MIM for $750.00 take the money and run, run as fast as you can. Then go check out an Epi G400 and pocket the change.
    Back in the day I bought a Gibson authorized ltd. edition Epi G400 in heritage cherry and like it so much turned around and bought the silver burst one; they were really nice sg's for the money straight out of the box for < $400.00.
    Just a thought, good luck.

Dibbs, Cerb and NateH like this.
  13. NateH

NateH Strat-Talk Member

You can get a decent, used American Standard for $750. Couple hundred more for an SG standard or LP studio.

14. macoshark

macoshark Senior Stratmaster

That looks like a Classic series 60s w/ a 7.25 radius. I was watching those on Reverb for awhile and the prices were all over the place. On Craigs here they seem to go for less but you might be able to swing your asking on Reverb or Ebay. It might take a bit on Reverb. Might as well sell it but 1st make sure your not in love with the neck because a lot of guys like that soft V".

15. jvin248

jvin248 Senior Stratmaster

Don't sand the neck. That leads to much sadness and loss of guitar value. If you need a satin-feel neck then lightly scuff the back of the neck, using masking tape to mark off crisp transition lines for a pro looking job. Use paper in the 800 to 1000 grit range just to make it feel like satin. Then if you decide to sell the guitar you can polish it up with 1500-5000 grit followed by polishing compound to get back to gloss that buyers expect to see.

You could buy a different neck to bolt on the guitar, keeping the original safe for the day you sell the guitar.

Buy a loaded pickguard with other pickup configurations, like a set of pickups you'd want in an SG/LP (Gibson pickups plus matching Gibson Pots 'n Caps as they are all part of the tone system). Deck the trem. You'll have a guitar that sounds like a Gibson. Store the original loaded pickguard with the original neck.

Or just sell the guitar and get something else. I'd caution you investigate 'broken headstock' problems on Gibson models if you go the SG/LP path. Epiphones are good and sturdy in comparison but Gibson has yet to improve their models' neck strength. A repaired neck guitar is worth half of a good one, so you will have drama -- most get into that when trying to sell and the shipper breaks it..

Bob Spumoni and J4ME5 like this.
  16. NateH

NateH Strat-Talk Member

17. StratUp

StratUp Senior Stratmaster

Sell and buy something that's different. Get a nice humbucker guitar to use as an alternative. Guitars should be played hard, not hung on a wall. Your MIM is going to stay on that wall. It's not like is a vintage classic that's going to put your kid through college one day if you hold it - it's a commodity.

18. Siameser

Siameser Strat-Talk Member

Sell it.

there

Dibbs likes this.
  19. StummerJoe

StummerJoe Senior Stratmaster

It's always nice to be able to grab another guitar when you break a string and you're in a good practice/playing groove.

EDIT : For gigging reasons I like similar guitars with similar sounds if one goes down for any reason, but that being said I also like having guitars that make different sounds for different genres/songs. I'd keep it and save for another. I'm no help. I have a problem.:oops:

Last edited: Mar 22, 2021
    Impulsive guppy likes this.
  20. Cerb

Cerb Anti conformist reformist

I heard SG!

Flip the bloody thing and buy a SG!