Should I swap the neck on my guitar?

Telecaster582

Strat-Talker
Feb 21, 2022
Muskegon MI
So if you're going to repaint in LPB.. I'd leave the green on, scuff it so new paint will stick and reshoot it with the new color. Thats a heck of a lot easier than stripping it down, imho
I have a bottle of spray paint that matches the color under the pickguard exactly, so I think I'll use that, will that stick?

CigBurn

Total Hack
Jun 22, 2014
Same Shed Different Day
Always test in a small area that will not affect the visible parts of the guitar. Many have paint in the neck pocket or body routs that you can try the new paint on.. and if it gums up, clean it up with a little solvent and nothing is really hurt in the process.

But always, always test before committing to the paint. Life gets very sad, very quickly if you don't. :D

Telecaster582

Strat-Talker
Feb 21, 2022
Muskegon MI
Always test in a small area that will not affect the visible parts of the guitar. Many have paint in the neck pocket or body routs that you can try the new paint on.. and if it gums up, clean it up with a little solvent and nothing is really hurt in the process.

But always, always test before committing to the paint. Life gets very sad, very quickly if you don't. :D
Yeah I was going to test it under the pickguard

revtime

Senior Stratmaster
Jun 17, 2014
kansas
Check out some youtube videos on what you want to do. Search painting a poly finish. Or covering a poly finish. You will find folks that have done it.

Telecaster582

Strat-Talker
Feb 21, 2022
Muskegon MI
So here's the color difference. the first is without flash and the second is with flash. It is mettallic paint and it may drive a lighter color. Think I should do it? IMG_20220626_151844890.jpg IMG_20220626_151851593.jpg

revtime

Senior Stratmaster
Jun 17, 2014
kansas
Up to you. I am not a fan of blue. The darker it is the better. However I am a sucker for Sonic Blue.
If it were me I would think long and hard before committing to a refin. The color on it aint bad.

dspellman

Senior Stratmaster
Mar 24, 2013
Los Angeles
The clear coat yellows over time due to exposure to ultraviolet light. Sunlight is the biggest culprit, but all lighting has some UV. Even poly is not immune to this.
"poly" is used for a wide variety of finish types. I think the older polyurethane finishes would yellow over time due to UV exposure, but the newer UV-catalyzed polyester finishes (relatively new carryovers from the auto industry) resist yellowing a lot longer.

CB91710

No GAS shortage here
Double Platinum Supporting Member
Feb 24, 2019
SoCal
On that neck, triple check the measurements, and measure from the nut to the screw holes.
Since the neck heel does not have standard Fender spacing, the body may not either, but it may.
Bolt the Fender neck on using the existing holes, install one string, and check the intonation. If the intonation is reasonably close, then the Memphis neck pocket is just too long, and you will have a gap between the body and end of the neck.
If the intonation is significantly flat, then you will need to clamp the neck into position and re-drill the correct holes.

For reference, on a Fender body, from the centerline of the bridge pivot screw holes to the center of the most rearward neck mounting hole is 7.255 inches.
If your body measurement matches that, then the Squier neck will bolt right on, and there will be a gap at the heel.

Last edited: