Should i try 0.09s?!

Discussion in 'Stratocaster Discussion Forum' started by craigo_82, Mar 20, 2018.

1. craigo_82

craigo_82 New Member!

Hi

Long time lurker, first time posting, so hello! (UK is that makes a difference).

I bought a 2nd hand 2009 American Std about 6 months ago, maple neck, candy cola red, lovely.. Sometimes I stop playing just to look at it ha ha. It's in as new condition, and the last strings were new when I got it, so think it's been well looked after.

Anyway, the fella I bought it from said it had 10s on it, so I took that as fact (I only remember cos he said he tends to snap 9s easily).

Probably a little overdue now, but I've decided it was time to get some new strings.

I got ernie ball std skinky (10 to 46 I think). After removing old strings to give it a good clean, I put the new ones on, and straight away noticed the bridge was sticking up way further than before.

Reading other posts in here, I was able to adjust the claws so it's now sitting somewhere more sensible, probably less than the 3.2mm advised by fender, but enough that the bottom e is somewhere between f and f# when at full tilt. (hope that makes sense)

But, even after adjusting the bridge / tremolo tension, the action still seems higher than I remember, and now it just kinda feels a bit harder to play...

I'm starting to think it had 9s on after all, (probably 9 to 42).

I can live with the harder bends but not sure about the higher action, doesn't feel right. I'm worried that with the thicker strings, perhaps the truss rod needs adjusting, to return the action to what I'm used to.

But I don't really wanna go down that road, if I can help it... Sounds scary.

At this stage I'm wondering if I should chuck the 10s and try a set of 9s, and hopefully return the tremolo tension to somewhere near where it was before I touched it.

Any opinions / advice welcome!

... Perhaps I should take it to a shop who knows what they are doing!

Thanks

Attached Files:

2. ProSonicLive

ProSonicLive Senior Stratmaster

From what i remember when I played them, I did not require much if any adjustments going up just one gauge. I would DEFINITELY require an adjustment now, I use 12-56. But the tension increase from 9-10 should not be a whole lot. But remember, new strings need to stretch which may have contributed seeing as how old your strings were.
    However, if you feel the difference, by all means go ahead and try the 9s out and see if everything lines back up properly and see how they feel. If they feel good but put the guitar out of proper set up range, take it to a tech and have him/her set it up
    NICE guitar BTW and love the chainsaw cases. IMG_20170121_174724.jpg .

3. craigo_82

craigo_82 New Member!

Thanks! You too !

Yeah, he kindly threw that in with the sale.

Good advice, and thanks for the quick reply.

Is there any potential of me doing any damage or anything by just seeing how it goes for a few weeks, even if it's just to get some use outta these strings before they end up getting thrown out? I mean, as in, could I be unintentionally putting strain on something when it shouldn't be?

4. Bigshow69

Bigshow69 Strat-Talk Member

5. Percy

Percy Most Honored Senior Member

Cool....Do you tune down?

6. johnnymg

johnnymg Most Honored Senior Member

Post a close up of the bridge.

7. GoodGolly

GoodGolly Strat-O-Master

A simple check would be to compare the thickest strings from the set you took off to the new ones, if you still have them - easy to tell a 42 from a 46.

Apart from that, sounds like you adjusted the trem? If it’s now sitting in a different place it could have raised the action.

I have had to adjust the neck relief (truss rod) switching between 9s and 10s, but really only if the relief (bend of the fretboard) is wrong. Not the way to adjust your action.

I’d take it to a tech to get it right this time, but eventually it would be good to learn how to set things up.

8. Brat-O-Caster

Brat-O-Caster Strat-Talker

I have twelve electric guitars, eleven of them are strung with .10s. Only one guitar is strung with .09s: my Stratocaster.

Strats and .09s are really the prefect match. I can not imagine .10s on my Strat. Plays so wonderfully with .09s and has that iconic Strat sound with the .09s. 9s and Starts are a match made in heaven. Give it a go.

9. craigo_82

craigo_82 New Member!

Oh, ok. Sorry, will have to do that tomorrow now, wife sent me to bed, we have an early start in the morning.

I'd guess its about 2mm gap, but will get a pic up ASAP.

The pic in my first msg was more of an introduction

10. sam_in_cali

sam_in_cali Scream for me Strat-Talk! Silver Member

Plot twist: D'addario makes a set of 9.5's....

Tele56 and Yaralag like this.
  11. johnnymg

johnnymg Most Honored Senior Member

2mm sounds good to me.

FWIW, I have transitioned from Hybrids (9-46) up to GHS Boomer 10-48 because I couldn't keep the 0.009 high E from breaking under heavy bending. Tried D'ads 0.0095 high E and broke them also. The Boomers seem to laugh at my abuse.

12. Sangetsu

Sangetsu Strat-Talker

I also love 9’s on my strats. I do a lot of bending and vibrato, and never break strings, unless I buggered them up when I installed them. I play a couple hours a day, every day, and replace my strings every other month or so.

I also play a lot of acoustic, running 11’s, and like to do a lot of bending as well.

Like Brat-O-Caster, I think 9’s are just right for strats. I have also tried 8.5’s and 9.5’s, but 9’s are the best for me and my guitars.

13. YeOldeRocker

YeOldeRocker Strat-Talker

The simplest solution to this is try the two different gauges out and see which is more comfortable for you and that particular guitar. My guess is the sound won't be that different - a bit more tone on the .10s, but not significantly so - but the feel will be different. And since feel is almost everything - what you put in is what goes out - you have to decide how a lighter gauge feels to you.

I used .09s for most of my early guitar life, even .08s really early on - but I eventually found that - when I was in the thick of a set - I tended to overbend my strings if they were too light. I needed more resistance, without raising the action, so I always use .10s on the Strat.

But you and this guitar might like .09s. As trial experiments go, this one's a pretty inexpensive test.

14. alderre

alderre Strat-O-Master

Just restrung my guitars with hybrid sets 9-46. I like it so far, although it may just be the fact that I have new crisp fresh strings.

15. thomquietwolf

thomquietwolf Dr. Stratster Silver Member

These .07, .08, .09 threads keep popping up...
    I am so tempted...
    Butt
    The Big butt
    I've got to be the laziest SumBitch...
    Falling back One thousandth would have one of those greased pig slippery slopes connected ...
    What the hell...
    I can allow .09.5
    Or
    No...
    No...

RJ Squirrel likes this.
  16. craigo_82

craigo_82 New Member!

I think I need 9s! :D

Yeah, I kept the old strings. They do seem thinner, but I wasn't sure if it was just in my head or if they really are different...!

I think I'll put 9s back on again, and attempt to put the tension on the springs back to near where it was. If it seems wrong then, I'll take it to a tech

I prefer learning how to do this sorta stuff my self when possible :whistling:.

Will also get a pic up as it is now though, soon as I can.

Thank you all for the help. :)

17. henderman

henderman Dr. Stratster

You will not damage anything as mentioned already just by having the diff gauge on for any length of time.

Short version is the guitar needs to be setup to whatever gauge of string you use.

Even 2 diff brand sets of 9's could need ever so slightly differences for calibration.

18. Groovey

Groovey Dr. Stratster

I just went from 10s to 9s and I love em.

There was a bit of tweaking to be done. Had to loosen the claw screws considerably more than anticipated. And I was able to lower the action somewhat.

So the reverse would apply. If I went back to 10s I would have to tighten the claw a good bit.

If you keep making small adjustments , you'll get the new strings at a better equalibrium with the tremelo. And be able to find adequate action hieghts as well.

I'd hate to waste a set of strings. As much as I spend on this hobby I hate to just throw anything away.

19. Ebidis

Ebidis Providing the world with flat bends since 1985

.09's would be HUGE! I couldn't play them. You might want to try .009's instead. ;)

Yaralag and Blackmore Fan like this.
  20. Mr. Lumbergh

Mr. Lumbergh needs you to go ahead and come in on Sunday, too.

Maybe he wants to djent.

Last edited: Mar 20, 2018
    Yaralag, Stratoskater and Ebidis like this.