Show and tell...about 12 strings!

Discussion in 'Sidewinders Bar & Grille' started by Otisblove, May 7, 2020.

1. Otisblove

Otisblove Senior Stratmaster

I've gone 31 years without owning or feeling a need to own a 12 string guitar. For the last week my brain has been telling me I cannot live without one.

What are your 12 string stories? Own one? Owned one? Love them or hate them?

Pics please!

circles likes this.
  2. circles

circles Resident Pinball Enthusiast Strat-Talk Supporter

I'll probably break down and get one before I die.

Otisblove likes this.
  3. Nadnitram

Nadnitram Senior Stratmaster

I have owned 4. I love them, but finding a good one is not easy.

Used 12-strings can bring a world of problems -- the extra string pressure can cause belly bulge and bridge lift. I recommend buying new and tuning down a half-tone or even a full tone. I also recommend the Kyser 12-string capo.

I love my current Recording King RDS-9-12-TS. It is easy to play and its solid top produces a really nice tone. I have also played a friend's Yamaha FG 820-12. I was looking for one of those when I found the RK.

IMG_20200507_225822.jpg

circles and Otisblove like this.
  4. Ian Ashdown

Ian Ashdown Strat-Talker

0AA7F2BD-29B6-4A6C-8FE2-0AC5A67289C1.jpeg DE23E965-CB73-40D9-9532-6ABA07B8912C.jpeg Hi,

I have two and I love 12 strings. There’s a third one on its way, more later.

Just to be true to the forum, I have a Stratocaster XII in Burgundy Mist. I love it but it requires a delicate touch. I think the neck is standard width!

The other is a Fender Acoustic Dreadnaught style in Black. It has a huge sound and you can’t help but start to play more enthusiastically as it sounds so good! Not difficult to play, but you do need to be clean with you fretting fingers.

The third one is written about in another post, but is a Fretwire LP 12 string kit I’ve just received and am just starting to build. I think it’ll be fun to build and if it has typical LP tones it should be great as a 12 string.

I would say every guitar player should have one; some songS just must be played on a 12-String!

Just my 10 cents . . .

Ian
    SoCal

PS. I do tune the Acoustic down 2 turns every time I put her away. Hopefully a bit less stress on the bridge, belly etc.

Last edited: May 8, 2020
  5. Otisblove

The FG-820 is on the short list. How did you like it?

Nadnitram likes this.
  6. mikej89

mikej89 Senior Stratmaster

Know how long it takes to tune a 12-string? Nobody knows...

Otisblove likes this.
  7. CB91710

CB91710 This is a Custom Title Gold Member Strat-Talk Supporter

Old pic... I need to get this one out of storage.
    It's an old Sigma... Martin's old budget line from the 80s.
    I probably bought this one in '84?

12STRING.JPG

Bowmap and Otisblove like this.
  8. bsman

bsman Strat-O-Master

This is from nine years ago, but it's the only shot I have of my 12er, a Takamine EG523SC-12. I bought her used, and she's been solid as a rock. I frequently do tune down to Eb, but more for ease of playing than because I'm concerned about stability. I like playing at least a few tunes on it when I'm playing in public. This was a BBQ at the Stanford Blood Center, where I worked for ten years, and yes those are cargo shorts and a Hawaiian shirt. It's a BBQ, after all! Oh - and I've lost about 35 pounds since then, and it's not all hair! :)

[​IMG]

Otisblove likes this.
  9. Kerry Brown

Kerry Brown Strat-O-Master

I’ve owned a few. I love the sound. It is great for playing rhythm. It fills out the sound. My current is a Godin A12 hybrid. It is the easiest to play 12 string I’ve ever played. It sounds OK unplugged. plugged in it is fantastic. I’ve never tuned down and never had a problem with any that I’ve owned but I have seen some with a bit of a belly. If I was looking for one now I’d be looking at a Danelectro. Played one in store and was enthralled. It was hard to walk away.

F1470B2E-CBDC-4C2C-88B5-3B7A123C9E3E.jpeg

Otisblove likes this.
  10. Otisblove

Do you know if the Dano that had you under it’s spell was a 12SDC, 59X12 or a Vintage 12?

Kerry Brown likes this.
  11. scooteraz

scooteraz Strat-O-Master

I have owned (and still own) 3. In order of purchase
    1) Yamaha FG-230 that I bought slightly used in 1970, I think. This is the only guitar I owned when I met my wife. When we were still in school, we did youth ministry from the University, it was the guitar I took a long. Later in life, when I tried to sell the guitar, she wouldn’t let me. I finally added a pickup and did a fret job on the guitar, and the luthiers laughed at me; I explained my wife would’t let me get rid of the guitar, I was at least going to be able to play it.

2) No long after I began to get electrics, I got an Ibanez RT452 in 1994 or so. Strat Style 12-string. I liked the guitar, but not the original pickups so much. Replaced those with Alumatones. They seem to work better, to my ear, with that guitar. When I need 12 string electric tones, that is the guitar I use. Not a Rickenbacker, but I can’t play those little Ric 12-string necks.

3) A US built Breedlove that I bought used from Pioneer Music in Portland Or, about 08 or 09 I think. Great sounding 12-string. I think it was built in the late 1990’s or early 2000’s. It is my primary acoustic 12-string.

Don’t know if I have any pictures of these, right now.

Otisblove likes this.
  12. Bladesg

Bladesg Funk Meister Strat-Talk Supporter

I've been eyeing a matt black 12 string Ric, not sure yet because I won't buy something I won't get use out of.

Otisblove likes this.
  13. Duotone

Duotone Senior Stratmaster

Framus Carravelle 12.jpg

Framus Carravelle 12 (1965) Lovely guitar. Need to put that one on the stand. Thanks for reminding me. The bridge pick up is not responding. Rewiring these are a dreadful nightmare.

Chuck8436 and Otisblove like this.
  14. pwhite

pwhite Strat-O-Master

I got the 12 string itch this past year for the first time ever and for Christmas I got one of these from Danelectro. It is light, setup very well from the factory and has it's own funky 12 sound. I was able to make an offer on one and got a good deal on it as well. I really like it.

[​IMG]

circles, Chuck8436 and Otisblove like this.
  15. dogletnoir

dogletnoir V----V Strat-Talk Supporter

My 12 string references are a little different from most people's;
    i think of the two Pats (Martino and Metheny).

A bit of background: Pat Martino's wife bought him a 12 string electric guitar as a present.
    He wasn't all that fond of it, but he used it to record all of the music on his 'Desperado' album,
    giving it a unique sound out of his entire catalogue.
    Pat Metheny was playing 6 string when he was asked to join Gary Burton's ensemble, but Mick Goodrick
    was already playing the 6, so it was decided that Pat would use a 12 string electric with the band.
    Again, a rather unique sound, which you can hear documented on the 'Ring' album.

A contemporary of Handel's is quoted as having said something to the effect of,
    "It a lutenist lives to eighty he must have been sixty years tuning."

For me, eight strings is quite enough, thanks. :D

Otisblove likes this.
  16. Bob_Fox

Bob_Fox New Member!

I had Fender XII MIJ Sunburst, it was a great guitar) At the moment, for about 10 years I have сanadian Norman B20, great guitar for the price and if 12strings not your main. It shows itself well in the recording studio and gives a Led Zeppelin feeling.

Attached Files:

Otisblove likes this.
  17. JB74

JB74 Senior Stratmaster

Had a few over the years. Struggled to find the holy-grail, and then it just fell into my hands.
    IMG_5245.jpg IMG_5242.jpg IMG_5238 2.jpg

18. albala

albala Most Honored Senior Member Strat-Talk Supporter

In the 90's I tried an ES-335 12 string and loved it, but it was too expensive

I wound up with a '67 Guild Starfire 12 string...what a nightmare.

Traded that for new Alvarez Silver Anniversary 12 string which was not great at holding notes so I traded it for an Alvarez Yairi WY-1 12 string.

It stays in tune, has a very comfortable neck that isn't too wide, and it rings like a bell

IMG_1030.JPG

circles and Otisblove like this.
  19. Kerry Brown

Kerry Brown Strat-O-Master

I think it was a 59X12 but not 100% positive. It was on the rack in a store.

Otisblove likes this.
  20. lammie200

lammie200 Senior Stratmaster