Show me your Ernie Ball Music Man :)

Discussion in 'Other Guitar Discussion' started by WelhavenT, Jan 22, 2021.

1. WelhavenT

WelhavenT Strat-O-Master

I played my Cutlass again this morning, and this is the ONE guitar I would keep. It’s so easy to play, it’s versatile and the pickups cut through in a band mix. A lot of high end specs...

I haven’t used it in my punk band though, because for some reason it felt a bit «wrong» to play punk with a Cutlass, haha. Bashing a strat seemed more «appropriate». But since I dinged it a few weeks ago, I think I just go ahead anyone.

I had an Axis too that I sold last year. It was a great guitar too, but I don’t like floyd rose.

So, anyone else playing a EBMM? How do you like it? Show me :)
    774CA78F-40B6-4237-9623-17E16C19EE94.jpeg AB7876B5-6DCA-44F5-A769-8CC3A5615346.jpeg 05DC476D-AB26-4115-8428-EC21DCBD0850.jpeg AB5FCD66-6E63-4F5B-A139-903D61C9849F.jpeg E8D9E4C2-E30A-45F6-BAE1-6242FA07DF14.jpeg DA84F5CC-AB47-4385-962A-25DDA5485545.jpeg

2. Boognish

Boognish Senior Stratmaster

I've had GAS for quite a while when it comes to the EBMM Cutlass and the Stingray. I just can't justify spending that much money on a guitar. They are nice!!!

stratobiker and Baelzebub like this.
  3. ToneRanger

ToneRanger Most Honored Senior Member

Woof - love that yellow Axis - I really did like the EVH Music Mans, and the yellow and reds were my favorite colors.

If money were no object I would love to own the original, Blueburst 4 pickup version of the Steve Morse model.

I had kind of lusted over the Petrucci Majesty guitars as well, but the neck profile is too thin for my taste and I found the pickups to be a bit overpowered as well - it obviously works for John's style, but not so much for mine...

stratobiker and Boognish like this.
  4. John C

John C Most Honored Senior Member

Nice ones; I've owned 8 (well 9 if you count one that came and went within a 5-day period on a trade-then-flip deal). They are great guitars but I don't think I've found the best one for me yet - I wouldn't mind a Cutlass, but I'm kind of waiting to see what other colors they will have for 2021 besides tobacco burst and what is essentially sonic blue - they announced those colors on Monday, but all the other colors on the website are marked "color discontinued".

For what it's worth I've had 3 Silhouette Specials between 2004-2011 - all SSS with trem configuration, 3 Albert Lees (all 3 pickup configurations), an Axis SuperSport MM90 model (rosewood package - solid rosewood neck and rosewood top instead of maple top), a USA-made SUB guitar, and the one that came in and got flipped was an early Luke III (rosewood neck/olive gold color).

While I don't own any of them anymore here were some favorites:

2007 Silhouette Special LE Blue Dawn - even came in a 2-tone blue G&G tolex case instead of the normal EBMM molded case:

[​IMG]

I probably shouldn't have sold that one; I went to try to buy it back but it had already changed hands a couple of times; wound up getting this from the guy who I sold the Blue Dawn Silo Special to - 2009 Axis SuperSport MM90s with the solid rosewood neck and rosewood top - the "rosewood package" used to be a color option, but the last year or two before they dropped the package they made it a "BFR" model so it has the BFR inlay:

[​IMG]

Never really gave that one a good shot because I also ordered up another Silo Special - ordered it in olive gold with a gold swirled pickguard basically on the last day that color and pickguard were available; took delivery in the spring of 2010 so I sold off the Axis SuperSport to pay off the Silo Special:

[​IMG]

Not necessarily a favorite but a rare bird - first Albert Lee I owned; this one with 3 MM90s. Got it to replace the first Silo Special I owned (3-color burst; no photos of it) and then sold the AL when the 2007 Blue Dawn Silo Special came in:

[​IMG]

5. WelhavenT

WelhavenT Strat-O-Master

Bought mine used a year ago. I paid $1660, don’t think that’s too bad. It’s a 2017, so no roasted maple neck though (it doesn’t matter to me). There’s a newer model (used) for sale now (in Norway) for 3k.

Boognish likes this.
  6. WelhavenT

WelhavenT Strat-O-Master

What do you think about the Sabre model?

Seems like EBMM isn’t as common as
    I though, hehe.

7. John C

John C Most Honored Senior Member

I've heard good things about the Sabre but I've not played one yet (but I have played a couple of Leo-era Sabres - very strange birds those Leo-era guitars :p). From what I've seen online at dealers like Wildwood Guitars who post the neck specs it appears the Sabre necks are pretty slim - something in-between the Silhouette Special shape and a JP shape in depth, and also with the wider 1 11/16" nut width. I like the feel of the Cutlass body; not sure how different the Sabre is going to feel with the carved top vs. body contours.

EBMM is still pretty small; I imagine that Fender makes as many instruments in 5-6 weeks in Corona that EBMM makes in a year. I believe EBMM and G&L are about the same size in terms of output. EDIT: I mean in normal times; it appears all California companies are having restricted production these days.

Last edited: Jan 23, 2021
    WelhavenT likes this.
  8. WelhavenT

WelhavenT Strat-O-Master

Well, I’ve succumb to the Cutlass. It’s my #1 guitar. Others should try one!

fishermike and stratobiker like this.
  9. fishermike

fishermike Strat-Talker

Another EBMM Cutlass here. This one isn't mine - it's one that Wilcutt Guitars has up on Reverb right now, but mine's identical. Most comfortable, easiest playing guitar I own, killer build quality. Love the neck, SS frets, and the contoured heel. Great trem design, too. I might sell or trade it to go to HSS config, but that's just a personal preference thing, not a knock on the guitar itself. Cross-shopped it against Pro/Elite Strats and PRS SS, was an easy decision. I'd buy EBMM again in a heartbeat. Would love it if they'd make an ES-335/339 style.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

WelhavenT and Boognish like this.
  10. Anacharsis

Anacharsis Strat-O-Master Platinum Supporting Member

St. Vincents: One base HH model in Polaris White with the solid rosewood neck, the other HH model in Charcoal Sparkle with roasted maple/ebony.
    Copy of 20180807_211255.jpg
    I love how they play and sound. They're very comfortable for me, and the humbuckers and mini-humbuckers both have great cut and clarity.

Last edited: Jan 23, 2021
    WelhavenT likes this.